Tools Needed

Ed:

In the category of power tools - none are needed - look at what the modelers of antiquity accomplished without them!  Power tools are time-savers, no doubt about that.  And, if your set-up is wrong, power tools will also allow you to ruin amazing amounts of wood in no time at all. 

Uniform widths and thicknesses can be achieved by making a sanding or scraping jig to stop the process when over-sized, hand-sawn parts reach the proper dimension.  A jig will also allow uniform spacing of holes or making multiple parts that must appear identical.  A high quality dial or electronic caliper will let you know when you have reached the dimension you are looking for.  Even with power tools, there will be times when a jig will be necessary to get what you want from them.

Sanding or filing surfaces flat can be made much easier by counting a number of strokes, turning the work 180 degs., and then using the same number of strokes.  Then repeat the process as often as necessary. 

While shaping a part, always secure it in a vise or clamp it down or temporarily glue it to a substrate.

Making jigs is a problem-solving endeavor.  It also takes time way from actually assembling your model.  But, with or without power tools, your modeling prowess will increase with your ability to make jigs and I believe it is a necessary skill to possess.   After a while, you will be confident in your ability to make anything. 

Hand-tools: a down-sized version of the coping saw, the jeweler's saw, with appropriate blades, will allow cutting the finest of scrolls and curves.  I prefer coarse-cut jeweler's files over sanding sticks for most small-scale finishing.  

Don't try small scale detail with a type of wood that isn't up to the task.  Pear (or other fruit wood), box or holly are well suited for this purpose.  Pear (as well as box and holly), has uniform color.  The grain/color contrast of other fruit woods may be a detraction.  

11 minutes ago, Charles Green said:

- ..look at what the modelers of antiquity accomplished without them! 

I'm confident if the modelers of antiquity could have got there hands on a laser cutter or a Byrnes saw they wouldn't have hesitated to use it..😁

It also makes a difference if it's a full time, paying job.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

3 hours ago, Charles Green said:

In the category of power tools - none are needed - look at what the modelers of antiquity accomplished without them! 

True enough in a sense, if you are talking about electrically powered tools, but let's not get too romantically nostalgic about it. The master modelers who turned out the wonderful Admiralty Board models and the like certainly did have sophisticated tools. Eighteenth Century instrument makers and miniaturists in most instances had machines equivalent to, and in some instances better, than our selection of modeling tools today.

This lathe is a very rare treadle powered 1854 ornamental turning lathe.

Image 1 - Holtzapffel & Company Antique Ornamental Turning Lathe No. 1994 and Accessories

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392694015715?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=392694015715&targetid=1262749490302&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9032112&poi=&campaignid=11612431626&mkgroupid=121090480206&rlsatarget=pla-1262749490302&abcId=9300456&merchantid=113615460&gclid=CjwKCAjwlYCHBhAQEiwA4K21m5tmu2GPv40iTAylAgSca21eIDvBUuiiXSNJWab0_Q6zys0_i2rhVRoCgkUQAvD_BwE

They had powered scroll saws, too!

Antique 1800's Treadle jig saw 36x14x29 Millers Falls image 0

https://www.etsy.com/listing/745428861/antique-1800s-treadle-jig-saw-36x14x29?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_ps-a-craft_supplies_and_tools-tools_and_equipment-tools-other&utm_custom1=_k_CjwKCAjwlYCHBhAQEiwA4K21myP675yEwWCgTQAQfy_o6Wot148Le0jyKTtecLdxM1UuuTYkidE9IxoCeHMQAvD_BwE_k_&utm_content=go_12565278184_123210950767_507187537626_pla-295604191622_c__745428861_111184285&utm_custom2=12565278184&gclid=CjwKCAjwlYCHBhAQEiwA4K21myP675yEwWCgTQAQfy_o6Wot148Le0jyKTtecLdxM1UuuTYkidE9IxoCeHMQAvD_BwE

A ship modeler could certainly find a use for this 1800's hand cranked watchmaker's lathe.

aa4e2f57cc3ae1aa76a6504088e8ae57.jpg

https://www.carters.com.au/index.cfm/index/3930-watchmakers-equipmment/

"He who dies with the most tools, wins!" but, when buying tools, choose wisely, Grasshopper.

Edited by Bob Cleek

Ed, obsidean12 gave sound advice on the article.    Once you have the basics, buy tools only as you need them.  In other words,, no need to jump in buy a table saw, milling machine, etc.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Kits are generally designed so that a minimal number of hand tools are needed. Here is a typical example:

https://modelexpo-online.com/assets/images/MS1471 Norwegian Sailing Pram instructions rev 3-29-21.pdf

Pages 40 to 43.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Charles Green above said:  "In the category of power tools - none are needed".  This is true.  The trade-off is time and and patience.  I speak from experience.   A jeweler's saw, files, sandpaper, pliers, tweezers, eye magnification (if you are over 45), and glue can do a lot.  Unless you have money to burn, the first power tool I would recommend is a dremel/proxxon rotary tool.  They can be "spring-boarded" into many uses.

Ron

One tool not often listed is a piece of scrap leather and a stick of green or gold or rouge polishing compound. For knives and chisels, frequent stropping intervals can keep a sharp edge, and reduce the need for honing on a "stone".

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

To all above:

In the past, had I not used all the methods (and more) I mentioned, when working on projects on a board in my lap, I would not have put myself in the position to advise them to anyone.  The point not stated is, the lack of a tool has never stopped me from getting from point A to B.  Much time and patience was used in stead, but I always got what I wanted.  I enjoy the many diversions into the part making process as much as the build itself.     

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2021 at 12:12 AM, rlb said:

Charles Green above said:  "In the category of power tools - none are needed".  This is true.  The trade-off is time and and patience.  I speak from experience.   A jeweler's saw, files, sandpaper, pliers, tweezers, eye magnification (if you are over 45), and glue can do a lot.  Unless you have money to burn, the first power tool I would recommend is a dremel/proxxon rotary tool.  They can be "spring-boarded" into many uses.

Ron

I agree !!!

Maybe - just start with your work, and your model will show you what tool you need in exact stage of build

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic