Roman Quadrireme Galley by Ian_Grant - 1/32 Scale - RADIO

I was thinking the same thing as Glen. It's so different from the rest of the pack and stands out like a Ferrari in a parking lot full of VW's.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 hours ago, Glen McGuire said:

Yours is, without a doubt, the coolest boat on the water!  Not even close!!

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

I was thinking the same thing as Glen. It's so different from the rest of the pack and stands out like a Ferrari in a parking lot full of VW's.

Thanks guys, but in this case the "Ferrari" is far far slower than the "VW's".  But it is cool to see the oars rowing.....😉

Put the lathe back under the bench; wonder if I'll ever use it again? Before doing that I vacuumed out under there in the process discovering objects such as a long-lost hammer. So I decided to empty and vacuum the shelf under the bench and found more stuff, including a box with my wife's late grandfather's carving tools and some bandsawn blanks of his for horses etc (he was a farmer who loved his workhorses), and this little jewel which I believe was the grade 11 machine shop project. I recall hardening the jaws and polishing before assembly. Fond memories!

I will take grandpa's box to the cottage this summer and while away some down time trying to produce a creditable horse, in his memory.

P3210670.thumb.JPG.8734958f240d8c57eb0d710fbbe32285.JPG

P3210671.thumb.JPG.589961b2b3fabf07dca5a19796cd7660.JPG

Ian, you continue to amaze with this build!  I was just talking it up to my club, last night, so you may soon have a few new on-lookers.

The bulwark sweep, previously, did not jump out at me as problematic, but after modification I can see what an improvement in practicality and aesthetics you have made.  Well done!

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

11 hours ago, rookie said:

Your galley is the coolest boat you have built, I have to say.

Thanks 'Rookie", I could only have done it at this stage of life, with time (and money) available and career experience. 😊

2 hours ago, Hubac's Historian said:

Ian, you continue to amaze with this build!  I was just talking it up to my club, last night, so you may soon have a few new on-lookers.

The bulwark sweep, previously, did not jump out at me as problematic, but after modification I can see what an improvement in practicality and aesthetics you have made.  Well done!

Marc, I'm honoured to receive praise from you given the incredible model you are making of the SR! Thank you.

Posted (edited)

Working on the gold and yellow decorative painting at the bow. She's really coming to life! Painting touch-ups at edges of the yellow trim will be ongoing I am sure. Rather like the stern balusters on the Heller Victory. 😏

Her personality changed when I painted the black at bow and on the cap rails....entire u/w hull will be black.

Now trying to figure out how to draw her eyes in "Paint".

P3240673.thumb.JPG.e5009b36fa3e9aa126ff3cd7535f8ef5.JPG

P3240672.thumb.JPG.ea22aead17ecf4a92dc6ba7266f80d47.JPG

P3240674.thumb.JPG.3b1f57dc2ab75fb947ebea2a67750083.JPG

Edited by Ian_Grant

Ian would not a self-made decal work to maintain the uniformity of the eyes.  The decals, once applied, can be sealed with a spray-on or brushed varnish /clear coat for protection.  I have had success printing my own decals for small toys etc that I make for the grandkids.  The decal paper is relatively cheap and readily available online.  I printed mine using a laser jet printer, but I think there are decal papers for other types of printers also.   That said, hand painted adds a sense of realism.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

1 hour ago, BANYAN said:

Ian would not a self-made decal work to maintain the uniformity of the eyes.  The decals, once applied, can be sealed with a spray-on or brushed varnish /clear coat for protection.  I have had success printing my own decals for small toys etc that I make for the grandkids.  The decal paper is relatively cheap and readily available online.  I printed mine using a laser jet printer, but I think there are decal papers for other types of printers also.   That said, hand painted adds a sense of realism.

cheers

Pat

Thanks Pat, trust me I will not be painting them by hand! I was thinking decal or label paper if I could buy small quantity of sheets.

"Paint" is weird to learn. Probably just me.

7 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

"Paint" is weird to learn. Probably just me.

I’ve found Inkscape is easier for getting what I wanted and it’s free. None of the graphics packages seem very easy though.

Current builds:

1) HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller)

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23247-hms-victory-by-kevin-the-lubber-heller-1100-plastic-with-3d-printed-additions/

2) Bluenose II 1:100 (Billing) - paused, not in the mood

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30694-billing-bluenose-ii-1100-no600-by-kevin-the-lubber/

3) Cutty Sark 1:96 Revell

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30964-cutty-sark-by-kevin-the-lubber-revell-196

Stash:

Revell Cutty Sark 1/96 (a spare for later)

Revell Beagle 1/96 (unlikely to ever get built!)

Revell Kearsage 1/96 (can't wait to get started on this)

Revell Constitution 1/96

If at first you don't succeed, buy some more tools.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

I was thinking decal or label paper if I could buy small quantity of sheets.

Hi Ian, I cannot recall where now, but I managed to buy just a few sheets from an online supplier.  If I find some time, I will dive into my records to see if I can find the supplier - but I am not hopeful.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Posted (edited)

Over here you can buy decal paper by the sheet off eBay. But wouldn’t you want/need the setting liquids? In passing, my own recent foray into water slide decals hasn’t been particularly successful, they wrinkle and the ink rubs off, and I’ve parked it for a rainy day.

I may be misunderstanding the exercise but couldn’t you make card or paper stencils instead? You can cut those using the laser for precision. Two or three masks (layers) with positioning points etc.

Edited by Kevin-the-lubber

Current builds:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23247-hms-victory-by-kevin-the-lubber-heller-1100-plastic-with-3d-printed-additions/

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30694-billing-bluenose-ii-1100-no600-by-kevin-the-lubber/

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30964-cutty-sark-by-kevin-the-lubber-revell-196

Stash:

Revell Constitution 1/96

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Plodding along on deck fittings. Here is the latest overall view:

P4110680.thumb.JPG.504616c1f9c66c2748741730147af200.JPG

3D printed vent gratings and spar cradles. The mainyard lies on the cradles.

P4110681.thumb.JPG.e6e5ff6f1976833068da0b93b0e6670d.JPG

The main mast "tabernacle". The separable upper black part will be glued to the mast, and lashed to it in the concave portion. The white pin at the bottom is to allow me to lift off the little block behind the mast, thus allowing me to slide the foot of the mast aft so I can collapse it. All the rigging will collapse with it, and it will all attach to the main removable deck section except the fore and backstays which will need to be unhooked at the stem/stern.

P4110682.thumb.JPG.41a54f1e82d73034e0bdc0ed3110baa7.JPG

Tabernacle taken apart. The white pin will be painted black. Mast will be stained then varnished as will the yard.

P4110685.thumb.JPG.429aa7d481d0b14d414c2230a607e49c.JPG

Fitting on foredeck for the "artemon" (what we'd call a bowsprit). Again, the part which will be lashed to the artemon is glued to it. Removing the white pin releases it so the artemon can be pulled in and down. Will need to make sure the bracket holding it at the stempost has some wiggle room to allow for this.

P4110683.thumb.JPG.f143533952b674562ded64fa1428c949.JPG

Boarding bridge is now painted. I see some white touch-up is needed. I have no info as to how it was manhandled over the side through the gaps in the bulwark or held in place there; will need to devise some reasonable scheme using cleats etc. Bridge will be glued to fore hatch and be its "handle". I copied this design from Flavio Terenzi's model but it seems to me that the lower portion of the sides should be solid to protect the marines' legs as they formed shield walls to cross over in the face of enemy archery; shields would have reached from heads to about knees. Might modify it.

P4110684.thumb.JPG.4ac52e7513342e720b556706715e0ead.JPG

Printed fantail decoration, badly painted. I need to figure out how to get black paint in between the converging fingers without gumming them up. I should have printed it in four pieces, one per finger, then painted, then glued together. Hindsight is 20/20.P4110691.thumb.JPG.ebbb7a966359f6534d87bf1e7eb34bd5.JPG

Artillery: here is a printed ballista in resin, courtesy my brother. Beautiful detail but sadly too small (I had spec'd the length but it was hard to picture) so he has printed four more copies in larger scale for me. Not received yet.

P4110690.thumb.JPG.ead65b313bbc62aed426f99e314b22f1.JPG

Still to come are captain's stern shelter, anchors, rigging, some sort of material for gathered sails, stern flag standard. And crew.

We're going away on a little trip again.

Thanks for following.....

Edited by Ian_Grant

4 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

I need to figure out how to get black paint in between the converging fingers

Tuppence from me: yes, print the fingers separately and, while you’re at it, think about splitting the fingers into two parts, the outer frame and inner insert. It’s not much work, design-wise, and you’ll get lovely sharp paint lines.

Current builds:

Stash:

Revell Constitution 1/96

10 hours ago, Kevin-the-lubber said:

Tuppence from me: yes, print the fingers separately and, while you’re at it, think about splitting the fingers into two parts, the outer frame and inner insert. It’s not much work, design-wise, and you’ll get lovely sharp paint lines.

Kevin, sounds like a good idea but the "frame" would be awfully delicate. Unfortunately when drawing it in TinkerCAD I gave no thought to possibly splitting it so it's a real dog's breakfast of elongated tube sections and "holes", and a patchwork of filler pieces. I'm reluctant to revisit it but may have to if I can't get a decent paint job on it.

If you're interested here's the CAD file, at the risk of exposing my clumsy drafting:

Galley Fantail(1).zip

amazing work Ian,

well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

That is some 'plodding along' Ian, looks great.

cheers

Pat

15 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

the "frame" would be awfully delicate

I've had a look at the file, nothing wrong with what you've done there. Though as often seemed to be the case with my own TinkerCad objects, the software says the components are not manifold (there are holes/gaps in the mesh, but the slicer is probably fixing these on the fly).

A multi-part will print fine in resin but I think you'd struggle with the library printer. The frames would be about 0.5mm thick but if the finger cross section was like the sketch i.e. create a mortice and tenon, there would be enough heft in the frame for it to not be that delicate. It's ages since I used TinkerCad and I can't remember how much scope there is for dimension-driven design. 

image.png.c7cab7984e0c08ec8701cb19adef3606.png                   

Current builds:

Stash:

Revell Constitution 1/96

On 4/11/2024 at 9:43 PM, Ian_Grant said:

I need to figure out how to get black paint in between the converging fingers without gumming them up. I should have printed it in four pieces, one per finger, then painted,

Is this the gumming that you are talking about and want to remove it (see pic below)?  If so, the only thing I can think of (rather than reprinting as you describe) would be to try and "floss" the converging gaps between the fingers.  Maybe try some super thin fly tying thread and carefully work it back and forth into the gap.

Screenshot2024-04-13075344.png.f671c51f16b7dc14810e2112a549413a.png

3 hours ago, Kevin-the-lubber said:

I've had a look at the file, nothing wrong with what you've done there. Though as often seemed to be the case with my own TinkerCad objects, the software says the components are not manifold (there are holes/gaps in the mesh, but the slicer is probably fixing these on the fly).

A multi-part will print fine in resin but I think you'd struggle with the library printer. The frames would be about 0.5mm thick but if the finger cross section was like the sketch i.e. create a mortice and tenon, there would be enough heft in the frame for it to not be that delicate. It's ages since I used TinkerCad and I can't remember how much scope there is for dimension-driven design.

Yes, the library printer could barely print it at all. Mortice and tenon is a good idea but I think a more complex CAD program would be needed. I have two days before we go away - I am trying to improve on the paint job. So far it looks promising.

Hi Ian - 

Really nice work on the ship.  I am truly envious of your expertise with 3-D printing.  It is a technology that I have not mastered and am reduced to buying pre-made parts from Shapeways and then modifying them as needed.  Very well done, sir.

As for painting, perhaps you could paint the fingers black first, then overpaint with silver, which you can access easily from both sides.  You should be able to get clean separation lines either freehand or with some fairly simple masks.

Dan

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, shipmodel said:

Hi Ian - 

Really nice work on the ship.  I am truly envious of your expertise with 3-D printing.  It is a technology that I have not mastered and am reduced to buying pre-made parts from Shapeways and then modifying them as needed.  Very well done, sir.

As for painting, perhaps you could paint the fingers black first, then overpaint with silver, which you can access easily from both sides.  You should be able to get clean separation lines either freehand or with some fairly simple masks.

Dan

Thanks Dan!  I'm exceptionally lucky to have the library's 3D machines (and the laser cutters!) freely available to me within a 1/2 hour walk. Apparently they are soon to upgrade to newer and better models 😊. Have you tried TinkerCAD? It's much simpler to learn than other CAD tools although obviously more limited too. For rectangular things like ladders and gratings it is super easy to draw what you want. The fantail fingers are about as complicated as I'd like to get in TinkerCAD.

Yes, you are right about the order of painting. I have now painted the black between the fingers which I should have done first. Now touching up the white then will redo the black edge trim.

I looked up your "albums" here on MSW. Wow! They're beautiful models. I especially like the "Maine" and the Viking knarr.

Thanks for commenting,

Ian

Edited by Ian_Grant