New Member Railroad Modeler

Ebton3

Hello everyone. My name is Blair Drazic from Grand Junction, CO.I’m a trial lawyer with 3 grown boys and 2 grown stepchildren. I have been a serious fine scale railroad modeler for 45 years. I am interested in building a riverboat  or river boats for my layout. I ordered the Model Shipways Chaperone kit. I stumbled on this site and realized I may need help. I built a Scientific Bounty in college over 45 years ago but nothing since. Who knows, I may build more. I also have some tips from model railroading I can contribute. Do you all weather models?
Blair

Welcome! I'm also a model railroader who diverted into shipbuilding. You might enjoy this photo of my steamboat Bertrand at a mid-1800s railhead of the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad, on the Missouri River in northwest Missouri.

694777823_Bertrandriverfront.jpeg.5a9283a4b44b498bbdcc4bfed8a0f8e7.jpeg

If you're going to built Chaperon, I strongly recommend this additional guide written by Kurt Van Dahm, a director of the Nautical Research Guild and resident steamboat expert. It's got a ton of good details and suggestions that complement the kit instructions. The price is well worth it compared to the cost of the kit and the time you'll spend on it (especially the time you'll save avoiding mistakes!). There are also some very good build logs for the kit here on MSW that would be well worth reading through for insights and inspiration.

I weather my steamboat models to the same extent I do railroad models: to look reasonably well-used but not decrepit. Many ship modelers don't weather because there's something particularly attractive about a pristine stand-alone model, but I think riverboats just don't look right if too crisp. Certainly if it's going on a model railroad layout, weathering makes sense. I primarily use pastels for light shadings of dirt, grime, rust, and so on. For example, here's my lightly weathered Arabia (another Missouri River steamer); not grimy, but not shiny either:

IMG_0923.jpg

I'd certainly encourage you to start a build log for your Chaperon here, as it'll be the best way to get advice and support as you dive in. It's a great choice of kit, really the only accurate riverboat kit available, and turns into a beautiful model. Good luck and I'll be there in your build log if you start it.

Blair, welcome to MSW. One of our gifted members, Gary (FriedClams), does a wonderful job of weathering. See the below link.

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello Blair.  Welcome to Model Ship World.   :piratebo5:

I think you will find the CHAPERONE to be an interesting and challenging build, but not overwhelming.  I built the Missouri River steamboat FAR WEST as my first scratch build many years ago.  All the joys of model ship building without the pesky rigging.  :default_wallbash:

farwest.thumb.jpg.03ae49c1b8fc4262bda90aeb0091d88e.jpg

Looking forward to your build log.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Hi Blair, and welcome to MSW.

Judging by the jalopy it looks like your layout is just the right time for the Chaperone - she was in use until she was burnt in 1922, so she sounds like just the vessel for your railroad. 

A river steamer is on my own wish-list, but as an Aussie I'd be doing an Australian one (they're quite different from the American ones). But it's very much on the back burner - I've got so many models I want to make, I doubt I'll get all of them done this lifetime.

Yes, start a build log. You'll find it very worthwhile - the members here are very friendly and helpful.

Good to have you aboard.

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Welcome to Model Ship World Blair.  You will do just fine on your Chaperone build judging by the excellent work on your model railroad.  I love the era that you are modeling for your model railroad.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Blair,

Welcome to the forum.

I’m not a model railroader but sometimes wish that I were.  I love those Shay locomotives!  Many years ago my wife and I rode up the mountain on West Virginia’s Cass Scenic Railroad.  They operate Shays.  Shays were also used in the open pit iron ore mines here in Northern Minnesota.

I wouldn’t overdo the weathering.  Chaperone hauled both passengers and freight in the Evansville, Indiana and NW Kentucky areas.  To attract passengers she had to be well maintained.  As a coal burner areas exposed to coal dust or smoke would be grimy.  Otherwise fresh paint inspires confidence with the traveling public.

Roger

Thanks everyone. I think I will do a build log. I have an unusual layout made up of unrelated scenes I call the Rail Gallery. I model several eras between 1920 and the 60s. Here is another pic and my method of jumping between eras in a prototypical manner😎. If the Chaperon is a success, I’m looking at a sailing ship harbor scene possibly.

445DB26B-F26A-4F7C-8468-E45023146A3E.jpeg

B0E8DFDC-704A-4D62-81DB-DFF8657FE9CD.jpeg

Nice to see the de Lorean - must have attained 88 m.p.h. to have got there.

Sailing ships were still in fairly common use before (and even during) the second world war, so it should all work nicely.

Steven 

Welcome to MSW, Blair, from a fellow Coloradoan (Colorado Springs).

I think I found the perfect intersection of model railroading and shipbuilding! Back in 2016, my thread on the brigantine Galilee attracted a comment from Thomas Rubarth, who resides in Omaha, Nebraska—also a model railroading fan. In collaboration with a ship modeler friend of his, Jim Turner, they built a huge model of the train ferry Solano, which operated between Benicia and Port Costa in California from 1879 to 1930. The model was built to HO scale and included HO rolling stock.

Here are several photos Thomas shared with me during our correspondence:

01SolModJimWithHull0703WEB.jpg.1236bd4b768ae783e14f7e939c2c86aa.jpg

This is the model  builder, Jim Turner holding the hull.

IMG_0175CropAdj.thumb.jpg.7780156af6b98d8ce24bdfac5c60b4cc.jpg

Note the asymmetrical positioning of the paddle wheels.

IMG_0408Adj.thumb.jpg.3316c5dfb8997a4c46b4a31335c3159f.jpg

1938335624_Picture012Cut2.thumb.jpg.abd050bee305aa544fbff4b829f21dc8.jpg

MSW is a wonderful organization of knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful individuals. I am sure you will find success in your endeavors here.

Enjoy!

Terry

Welcome to Model Ship World Blair. Glad to have you aboard.

I completed the Model Shipways Chaperon about a year and a half ago and I must say that it is a fantastic model. There are several build logs on MSW of this model you can use as a reference as well as a wealth of knowledgeable folks here that are always willing to lend a hand and guide you in the right direction. Looking forward to following your build log.

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

Welcome Blair!  I too have a foot in both camps.  A few years ago I scratchbuilt a sternwheeler for our club layout which, unfortunately, had to be disassembled as I was completing it.  I would like to incorporate it in a module or my home layout in the future.

Jeff

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_95b0.jpg.4ff3ba70b7da5a16417fe0b198edb609.jpg

Jeff Betcher

Current Builds:

Completed Builds: Lively of Baltimore 1813 - The Lumberyard; 1/72 Canadair CL-215 water bomber Ontario markings, 1/72 Canadair CL-215 water bomber Newfoundland markings; 1/72 Canadair CL-415 water bomber Ontario markings

Future Builds: Future Builds: HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina; Tender "Avos" Master Korabel; NRG Half Hull; HMS Speedy Vanguard Models