Frank J H Gardiner Painting

michaelpsutton2

As you all know I am a painter. Last week I came across this beauty in a thrift/consignment store. Naturally the subject caught my eye. On closer examination I began to develop the delusion that it is an original, an idea that becomes ever firmly rooted in my feverish brain as time has gone on. I can see faint pencil lines under the wash. I can see the tips of the oars under the white gouache of the sea foam. The name is certainly hand lettered on the matting and the gold stripe is a thin piece of something glued on. I have not removed it from the frame. It seems somewhat more detailed than other works by this artist. I thought it could be a hand tinted print, but I do not see any other copies of thus composition for sale. Anybody know anything about this painting or about this guy? Anybody know how to tell if it is real/original?

IMG_2363.JPG

IMG_2366.JPG

IMG_2364.JPG

IMG_2365.JPG

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave

The way to tell a print from an original is to put a magnifying glass over it. If you see a pattern of tiny colored dots, it's a print. If not - congratulations!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Aha! I knew it was the Victory just by looking at the escutcheon figurehead, before I saw the title (maybe because I've previously built two plastic Victory models).

Beautiful painting. Wish I was that good . . . (sigh).

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Frank Joseph Henry Gardiner was born in 1942 in England. His works have sold at auction from $149 up to $2017. So, did you get a good deal?

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

2 hours ago, michaelpsutton2 said:

$2017 is an interesting number. Why not an even $2000

At an auction?  Who knows.   I've been to auctions and sometimes the bids go up a dollar sometimes several hundred or more at a time.  I've done that myself more than once even on Fleabay... just raise the bid by some odd amount.  Scares off those not serious.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, michaelpsutton2 said:

Probably a buyer's premium at auction or some sort of taxes in the mix.

Judging from the picture that brought in the highest price so far, I'd say yours ought to bring a higher price. It's much more interesting and complex a work. (IMHO... :D )

I think it might be a gouache (a little thicker, less watery watercolor, applied a bit more opaque).

To make sure however, it is not a print, you might remove it (carefully!) from the frame and see if the paper has a slight indentation along the edges - if it does, that means that this indentation was caused by a graphic's press, and the artwork is/might be a print, like a lithography. But, in such instance, the artist would routinely write in pencil at the bottom margin the number of this particular issue, and the total number of the issues intended, as well as his/her name and the title of the artwork. Here we don't have any of this, at least I cannot see it.

So, probably it is a painting (very well executed!), either a watercolor, or more probably a gouache.

Gardiner 'HMS Victory'1.jpg

8 hours ago, michaelpsutton2 said:

My guess? It wasn't a US auction and the purchase price was in some other currency: the $2017 is the US$ conversion of euros or £ or whatever.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

When you take it out of the frame and look at it at an glancing angle you should be able to see some texture in the paint, particularly in those areas that appear to have been worked over indeed in gouache (e.g. the blue bulkhead panels, the coat of arms, the white heads of the waves, etc.). Gouache form a matt layer on the paper.

If you go down this list of paintings in past auctions by the same painter: https://www.invaluable.com/artist/gardiner-frank-joseph-henry-bz4rerv65l/sold-at-auction-prices/, you will see in Lot 20 a very similar landscape in the background. You could also compare the style of the sea and other features.

This painter is not be confused with the better known Derek Gardner, who paints similar subjects.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

It's the 5th painting in the list: https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/arr-frank-j-h-gardiner-british-b-1942-20-c-c0040f1930

BTW, I just saw that it was auctioned by Charles Miller in London. He is a nice knowleagble and helpful guy (ex-Sotheby's if I remember right), you could send him a picture of yours and ask his opinion.

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg