Sorry guys I missed the comments, yes that is the model boat club jetty, they have a clubhouse just out of shot of that image, no swimming, its pretty yuk

This weekend cladding will commence frame is complete!!, Xmas has gone from assembly to plating of model. cant wait for that stage as it will look like a ship then.

Ok here some updates as I near completion of the frame work of the hull and superstructure.

DSCN8732.thumb.JPG.71118a908cf7c63e652efd823d1e1548.JPG

View from  the bow, showing the areas remaining to be built up with B&B lamination, the fan room and winch pad openings can be seen as well in the deck panel.
Simon H if you are watching, now you can see how difficult access to the thruster is.

DSCN8729.thumb.JPG.998ffd51ab3088783ef4e7e75734b304.JPG

This is the Midship Stbd showing the fit of the deck panels and side shell, there is still the 2mm to go on the superstructure side at top and of course then all gets the .4mm plating over everything.

The gangway door and tonnage openings recess are clear here in side of hull.
The missing bits on the puzzle joints on deck is just because the part did not quite fit on the CNC, but not wasting ply.

DSCN8730.thumb.JPG.5ff30c049b286a481a5377aab39e8a88.JPG

This shows the incomplete fitted out smoke room space and the hatch to access engines in the middle.

DSCN8733.thumb.JPG.63fab2f4a69434149f9545fc5bd923ae.JPG

The stern fully framed and mooring decks fitted ready for plating in.

DSCN8734.thumb.JPG.7154a3940f622b670f3e39453fea84cf.JPG

In regard to access of the rudder mechanism through the stern door you can see the rudder penetration that I am pointing to.

DSCN8736.thumb.JPG.3b500d9619f405127ba2487bb80054f9.JPG

This shows the rubust structure that surrounds the "Lid"of the ship to keep it all straight.

And finally the Lid being assembled on my other bench.

DSCN8735.thumb.JPG.09a3c4dc83fecc2b0a0d7d0ebd66bc87.JPG

The large arc shaped parts leaning against wall are the bridge floor and ceiling

DSCN8731.JPG

Thanks John

Right I need some assistance for a  couple of things.

What do these balls on aft mast signal and when are they raised up the mast?.

balls.JPG.de37d7cb9403107d4c690f75c6a73cc3.JPG

Secondly is anyone able to identify this radar? and if so have any clearer pics of it. Most radar equipment was Kelvin Hughes. the scanner I only have serial number 14064

radar.JPG.6958c339dcd77b8a15d6a7691a0b71b1.JPG

Specification gives this.

specs.JPG.65cd88280e671bd9dc9a1b4e01c6a628.JPG

Edited by Richard Dunn

That looks like a commercial x-band or navigation radar antenna.

The day shape configuration is weird, but I think it means that the ship is anchored (I could be wrong).  

However, typically there would only be one ball for being at anchor, which is what makes it weird.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

I believe it’s where you marked “or here”, but I could be wrong.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

have you any history of the photo showing the two black balls?  Looks very strange, especially on the after mast.  One black ball hoisted in the bow would, as Grandpa Phil has already said, indicate that the ship was at anchor.  One black ball hoisted on the foremast would indicate that the ship was 'not under command', two black balls hoisted aft are a complete mystery to me.

As for the radar scanner, yes, that is the motor as you have indicated.  In my experience, only the scanner itself rotates.

John

I can't show full image or copyright reasons but she is either slowly going aft or forward out of berth, no wake to see or thruster wash either, no anchor cables down.
I have hundreds of images of her and only one with these up, I have many of her at berth and at anchor and none have balls... weird hey.

They are always present on ship and sitting at base of mast between the splayed blades at base of mast ready to hoist.

I couldn't help laugh at this business with the balls. I imagine a fortune was spent on what was probably fairly state of the art tech for the time, but still a pair of balls to communicate critical information. Is this system still in use? Brilliantly simple of course, as were a lot of 'old' ideas.

Current builds:

1) HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller)

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23247-hms-victory-by-kevin-the-lubber-heller-1100-plastic-with-3d-printed-additions/

2) Bluenose II 1:100 (Billing) - paused, not in the mood

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30694-billing-bluenose-ii-1100-no600-by-kevin-the-lubber/

3) Cutty Sark 1:96 Revell

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30964-cutty-sark-by-kevin-the-lubber-revell-196

Stash:

Revell Cutty Sark 1/96 (a spare for later)

Revell Beagle 1/96 (unlikely to ever get built!)

Revell Kearsage 1/96 (can't wait to get started on this)

Revell Constitution 1/96

If at first you don't succeed, buy some more tools.

Yes, they’re still in use.

They’re the nautical equivalent of a turn signal or brake light, (or reverse lights in this case) like you’d see on a standard car.

They communicate safety information about who has right of way, whether a ship has restricted maneuverability, has divers in the water or that sort of thing.

The day shapes are the daytime equivalent of the running lights you see at night.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

I knew that two vertical black balls, (Two vertical red lights at night) was 'Not under command.' ( I used to run them when I was running my RC tug years ago as a joke. Well kind of) But I did not know about this configuration with two horizonal balls at the end of the yardarm. Nice to know.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Been a slow week as we were getting some major landscaping done ready for Xmas and the 4 day job turned into 5 and even though they have only done 25% of the work they have torn up the contract and walked off leaving us with a heck of a mess.
Today is first day back into it to take my mind off it.
Starting to clad hullDSCN8780.thumb.JPG.80f7538ef7ba3fa49d6d6b834e290183.JPGDSCN8781.thumb.JPG.5e062842f76125747b43422caae82150.JPGDSCN8782.thumb.JPG.51a9872cb32b1ba0a25320d9bddfb922.JPGDSCN8783.thumb.JPG.f8596066bd1344fe3695ad87373908ad.JPG

2 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

More impressive each week!  Will you remove the upper works to plane & sand the B&B lower hull, or just flip the whole monster over?

The upper portion is only screwed on so it can be removed and bottom carved separately, not only that the running gear can be installed far more easily. The upper would be crushed by weight of bottom, its quite lightweight to help with stability

Well the hull and superstructure will be clad this weekend and I will be staring to think about the final outer platers made from .5mm ply.

I want to ask the scratch builders watching this about their experience with painting, you have seen the size of this model but in paint regards I don't think that its a huge difference to how you approach it, I want to ask you guys for your opinions on how I should proceed with painting,  things like do it in stages, paint plates before fitting or paint small areas as I go, things like that, Its something I don't have a lot of experience with so want to have a discussion about it to see what people think.
I know how to use guns and airbrushes, that's not the issue but the actual process and flow is what I would like your experiances of.

Edited by Richard Dunn

On 12/9/2021 at 9:31 AM, GrandpaPhil said:

Yes, they’re still in use.

They’re the nautical equivalent of a turn signal or brake light, (or reverse lights in this case) like you’d see on a standard car.

They communicate safety information about who has right of way, whether a ship has restricted maneuverability, has divers in the water or that sort of thing.

The day shapes are the daytime equivalent of the running lights you see at night.

Similar to these red and green signals:

IMG_20191231_132227.thumb.jpg.a3002d016252b484cb974db20ed6fd6a.jpg

Edited by baskerbosse