Proxxon TSG 250/E disc sander

Latest addition to my workshop.Looks to be just what I need. I really like the size , better than the 150 and has speed control too. I also like the isa of table tilt as well as the angle rest so can sand in two different planes which might be handy.I have purchased a few different grades of discs including 80. 150 and 240 . I am not sure I will need all three but any advice would be appreciated. Anyone got one and your thoughts on this  piece of equipment.

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

4 hours ago, JeffT said:

I have it's little brother the 125. I especially like that it's variable speed.

Thanks Jeff I looked at the smaller verslon first and almost went for that one but just thought the bigger one would do for bigger work pieces but perhaps I could have saved myself some money. 

I'm in the market for a disc sander as was leaning towards the Byrnes disc sander. Anyone know how the Proxxon and Byrnes disc sanders compare and/or have experience with both?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

2 hours ago, BobG said:

I'm in the market for a disc sander as was leaning towards the Byrnes disc sander. Anyone know how the Proxxon and Byrnes disc sanders compare and/or have experience with both?

IMHO, there is no comparison. The Byrnes is by far the better or the two. Super smooth with no vibration. Nice solid aluminum disk for adhering the sanding disk to. The machine work is excellent. Oh yes, if you should need it the customer service is top notch. No I don’t work for Jim I just have several of his machines. 🤪

3 hours ago, DaveBaxt said:

Thanks Jeff I looked at the smaller verslon first and almost went for that one but just thought the bigger one would do for bigger work pieces but perhaps I could have saved myself some money. 

I think the larger one is a little more versatile. The 125 is pretty small.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

51 minutes ago, rtibbs2018 said:

23456IMHO, there is no comparison. The Byrnes is by far the better or the two. Super smooth with no vibration. Nice solid aluminum disk for adhering the sanding disk to. The machine work is excellent. Oh yes, if you should need it the customer service is top notch. No I don’t work for Jim I just have several of his machines. 🤪

I have the byrnes also. Its definitely better built.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

1 hour ago, rtibbs2018 said:

IMHO, there is no comparison. The Byrnes is by far the better or the two. Super smooth with no vibration. Nice solid aluminum disk for adhering the sanding disk to. The machine work is excellent. Oh yes, if you should need it the customer service is top notch. No I don’t work for Jim I just have several of his machines. 🤪

I don't think the the table can tilt on the Byrnes. Is a tilting table something that quite useful in ship modeling?

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Thanks, Jeff, I was't aware the Byrnes table tilts.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Remember you US guys that American machinery, unless it is imported here in bulk, is just too expensive for us Europeans with the huge shipping costs and the customs duties (around 20% I think) on top of it ... 

A tilting table is very useful I think for working on longer pieces and for sanding compound angles with the aid of the adjustable fence.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

I’ve had both of these machines. The Proxxon is a very capable sander and can do every job that we builders need it to do. I had mine for 5 years and then gave it to a friend who is still using it. 

I now have Jim’s sander which is simply much better in every way. It’s better built and more powerful too. The table does tilt and has the advantage of pin locked increments which you can go to time and time again for exacting angles. 

For me it was just an evolution in my building and I love Jim’s sander and wouldn’t change it now. However when I first started building the Proxxon was more than adequate and still is an excellent sander.  I guess we grow as builders and change our gear accordingly. 

1 hour ago, wefalck said:

Remember you US guys that American machinery, unless it is imported here in bulk, is just too expensive for us Europeans with the huge shipping costs and the customs duties (around 20% I think) on top of it ... 

It works both ways. I recently purchased some adhesive from across the pond. The price was less than 8 US dollars and the shipping to the states was 23 dollars. I guess it comes down to what you want. As far as the Byrnes products, his shop is only a thirty minute drive from my home🤪 so I’m fortunate there…..

Shipping costs are going thru the roof everywhere. Just ordered an arbor for my drill chuck @ $9.50 with $16.00 shipping. All within the US. 

3 hours ago, rtibbs2018 said:

Shipping costs are going thru the roof everywhere. Just ordered an arbor for my drill chuck @ $9.50 with $16.00 shipping. All within the US. 

Blame it on fuel costs and the fact the trucking industry is hurting for drivers and rigs.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

4 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Blame it on fuel costs and the fact the trucking industry is hurting for drivers and rigs.

I'm with the economists who explain that people who didn't spend money during the Pandemic lockdown and retailers who slowed production and didn't stock up with product adequate to meet the hugely increased spending now that the Pandemic is easing up occasioned the supply and inflation we are now experiencing. "Just in time" production and inventory warehousing backfired on us this time around. Now we've got big demand and small supply. We don't have the infrastructure to move the products. Whether that be to unload the hulls now anchored offshore waiting for dock space or the truckers and trucks to move it from the docks to the distribution centers to the retail shelves. Hence, inflation. The only  solution is to stop buying stuff right now! You win both ways doing that because 1) you don't pay temporarily inflated prices, and 2) less pressure on the manufacturing and supply chain means less inflationary pressure. Things will be back to normal soon enough. Oil prices have already started dropping as production which was stopped during the Pandemic due to low demand is now catching up with the recovered post-Pandemic demand. 

On 11/17/2021 at 1:27 PM, DaveBaxt said:

Latest addition to my workshop.Looks to be just what I need. I really like the size , better than the 150 and has speed control too. I also like the isa of table tilt as well as the angle rest so can sand in two different planes which might be handy.I have purchased a few different grades of discs including 80. 150 and 240 . I am not sure I will need all three but any advice would be appreciated. Anyone got one and your thoughts on this  piece of equipment.

Let me know how you get on with it Dave and what you think of using it, I am thinking of acquiring a few workshop power tools and a disc sander and pillar drill are top of the list, so any feedback on these would be great.  👍

Actually, for a change it is not the Pandemic that is to blame. It's a development that began 15, 20 years ago. One factor was that due to the decreasing amount of snailmail with the advent of email, the postal services had to look for other revenue and increased the parcel prices. The second, transatlantic issue is that about 15 years ago the US postal service decided to discontinue 'surface mail' as an option, offering only the much more expensive air-mail option. If you didn't mind to wait for a couple of months, the 'surface' mail was a quite cost-effective option to get stuff over from the USA. I gather it works both ways.

In addition, the EU has tightened the rules for imports this year, basically now you pay import duties (equal to the EU VAT = 19% in most Member States) from the first Euro of value (sales price plus shipping costs!). Previously this was levvied only on values above 40€ ...

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

14 hours ago, wefalck said:

A tilting table is very useful I think for working on longer pieces and for sanding compound angles with the aid of the adjustable fence.

I think this was the main reason I did not choose the Byrnes one. I now have several tools made by Proxxon and have been happy with all of them and within my price range. I also find them very easy to source from a few companies here in the uk.

13 hours ago, No Idea said:

I’ve had both of these machines. The Proxxon is a very capable sander and can do every job that we builders need it to do. I had mine for 5 years and then gave it to a friend who is still using it. 

I now have Jim’s sander which is simply much better in every way. It’s better built and more powerful too. The table does tilt and has the advantage of pin locked increments which you can go to time and time again for exacting angles. 

For me it was just an evolution in my building and I love Jim’s sander and wouldn’t change it now. However when I first started building the Proxxon was more than adequate and still is an excellent sander.  I guess we grow as builders and change our gear accordingly. 

Good here what you think as its nice to here from someone who has had both. 

3 hours ago, AJohnson said:

Let me know how you get on with it Dave and what you think of using it, I am thinking of acquiring a few workshop power tools and a disc sander and pillar drill are top of the list, so any feedback on these would be great.  👍

I definately will . I have already received it and gave it a go and seems to go along with what you would expect from it, however I am unable to compare it with anything else. let me know when you decide to go for something and I can update you on my findings on the following. FET saw, Miller, drilling m/c , lathe and now the sander. All made by Proxxon. Best regards Dave 

9 hours ago, DaveBaxt said:

Good here what you think as its nice to here from someone who has had both. 

Hi Dave - I really think that this comes down to budget.  I have seen sanders similar to the Proxxon sander for less than £100.  I have no doubt that in the right thoughtful hands it can do the same as the most expensive sander that money can buy.  

The difference for me has been ease of use, accuracy and repetition.  Would I have know this 5 years ago probably not.  This comes with experience and actually when I consider how much it costs to import Jim's tools over a 5 year period they are not that expensive for what you get.  Also you would never need to replace it either.

10 hours ago, No Idea said:

Hi Dave - I really think that this comes down to budget.  I have seen sanders similar to the Proxxon sander for less than £100.  I have no doubt that in the right thoughtful hands it can do the same as the most expensive sander that money can buy.  

The difference for me has been ease of use, accuracy and repetition.  Would I have know this 5 years ago probably not.  This comes with experience and actually when I consider how much it costs to import Jim's tools over a 5 year period they are not that expensive for what you get.  Also you would never need to replace it either.

All very good points and I am happy that you have added your thoughts. Hopefully if I continue to stay in the hobby long enough I will consider an upgrade at some stage if the need arises. Best regards Dave