One of the proposed alternatives to the Panama Canal

bruce d

Scientific American, December 1884. The cover illustrates the 'ship railway' that would have been a cheaper alternative to the Panama Canal. Think of the fun we modelers would have had with this!

635764218_scientific-american-v51-n26-1884-12-27SHIPRAILWAY.thumb.jpg.8c058cd62340f46eac8e31e2c2d7cbda.jpg

scientific-american-v51-n26-1884-12-27_0008.jp2&id=scientific-american-1884-12-27&scale=2&rotate=0

Edited by bruce d

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

That would have been a bit bizarre to see.  I can't imagine it being expanded for the large battleships, etc. that have used it over the decades.  And hopefully, no strong crosswinds.....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

22 hours ago, CDR_Ret said:

the project would have had to excavate even more earth and rock than they did to use the locks and canal

Not to mention the amount of coal required for power and coal required for transporting coal to the isthmus. I bet big coal was heavily promoting this idea. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is a great idea that makes every sense today. We will offset the carbon footprint of the construction by building many wooden clippers which will be the only merchant ship allowed in the oceans.

Where do I sign?

Drydocking a ship is complicated, as care must be taken to avoid straining the hull.  Stability must also be considered since as the water level recedes the vessel’s hull geometry changes.  It would also be unusual for a vessel to be drydocked in the fully loaded condition.  For these reasons,  drydocking plans that specify how the vessel is to be supported during docking are prepared.

Overcoming these problems for each individual ship would be enough to doom this approach.

Roger

And to imagine... in an alternate, steam-punk multiverse, this works.  Huge elevators would raise and lower each ship to address the grade change issues.  

I use to subscribe to Scientific American.  I liked the '100 years ago...' they would run.  Fun to see the thoughts from those times and items proven to be a bit off point as science has advanced.    

Interesting point is the concern over the movement of the bar and how to cope with the shift of sand.  Still a concern today. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Chenoweth

Current Build: Maine Peapod; Midwest Models; 1/14 scale.

In the research department:

Nothing at this time.

Completed models (Links to galleries): 

Monitor and Merrimack; Metal Earth; 1:370 and 1:390 respectively.  (Link to Build Log.)

Shrimp Boat; Lindbergh; 1/60 scale (as commission for my brother - a tribute to a friend of his)

North Carolina Shad Boat; half hull lift; scratch built.  Scale: (I forgot).  Done at a class at the NC Maritime Museum.

Dinghy; Midwest Models; 1/12 scale

(Does LEGO Ship in a Bottle count?)

Bruce d, I'm already there....

Doomed ships, or not, your thread immediately got me thinking that I'd like to build a 5-masted schooner being hauled across Panama on railway tracks.

What a diorama this would make, an intriguing combination of a model railroad with a ship model. Probably not HO scale though....the medical tents and staff to deal with the results of mosquitoes would be a vexing challenge.

I know! to bring the diorama into the 21st century, what about a 600ft. long Maersk container ship being dragged across Nicaragua by Teslas?

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

1 hour ago, hollowneck said:

Probably not HO scale

You might be able to squeeze it all in using TT scale (1:120) and still save your sanity though 1:120 can be a bit maddening at times. 

1 hour ago, hollowneck said:

I know! to bring the diorama into the 21st century, what about a 600ft. long Maersk container ship being dragged across Nicaragua by Teslas?

Ron, that echoes my original reaction when I saw the article: pure Monty Python!

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold