Lady Nelson by Dave_E - FINISHED - Amati/Victory Models - 1:64

Thanks Dave! Did you blacken before installing? My blackening wiped right off while handling. I’m going to guess the parts needed to be mechanically cleaned before the blackening process (which I did not do 😕).

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

44 minutes ago, Dave_E said:

Thanks Dave! Did you blacken before installing? My blackening wiped right off while handling. I’m going to guess the parts needed to be mechanically cleaned before the blackening process (which I did not do 😕).

I bought those pre-blackened from HiS Models. I do not know what process they use but it is very good as it does not come off easily.

Regards,

David

Good evening everyone. I got started on the deadeyes and chain plates and after I got the process down, couldn’t stop. 😁 Thanks for the all the help with the strops and deadeyes. Thanks to Derek aka DelF in the UK, for showing me his “special tool” for opening up the strops. I used this, worked like a charm.

F0BEF1B3-5D05-4D9F-BD75-0A9BFA46C183.thumb.jpeg.91ebc5fae7838f15c70b0ccf02f2bbb1.jpeg

I ended up painting the parts ironworks black and no paint came off with all the handling and bending. I’m fairly pleased with the results for this part of the build. The needle nose and the round needle nose made everything go smoothly. (Learned all about the round ones from you guys). 👍

716CAB66-1103-4056-B0C0-954A4BEB71B2.thumb.jpeg.e70a1f59fe10e114a7274039bfdd6cef.jpeg5DA16519-36ED-4168-901E-C2664EE66188.thumb.jpeg.eaede3afd71dbec0d2c5a11c01df1b5b.jpeg

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

Good Morning Everyone,

Last night while working the lower deadeyes, I went to nail in the 1st chain plate and found the nails supplied with the kit were too big for the hole. 😠 My bad for not checking prior to all the blackening and the fitting for the installation. So… had to drill up all the holes, luckily I had a drill motor that would take a small 1mm bit (so I didn’t have to wear out my fingers with the pin drill).

Did I just experience one of the anomalies of “kit building”? From all my reading on the forum, there are quality differences between companies. My lesson learned… fit every piece before finishing and assembly and think ahead when planning a part of the build, especially for kits that have virtually no step by step directions. However, I’m pretty sure I’ll complete the Lady and the learning curve I’m experiencing building a kit without a step by step instruction book, can’t help but make my future endeavors much better. 👍😀 I’m a good listener and have the skills, the knowledge factor for building a kit like the Lady absolutely came from this forum! Thank you all for your contributions!!! (We’re not done yet 😁).

Dave

Dave,

I'm following your build with great interest.

I think you are experiencing the compromises that kit builder's make. For me part of the fun is figuring that out and learning how to work around the limitations of the kit. I'm a beginner too and have much to learn. The forum is indeed the best place for that. Everyone here is so helpful. Your build of Lady Nelson looks to me like it will be something to be proud of.

John

John

Current Build: Rattlesnake (Model Shipways 1:64)

Dave, I'm way behind on catching up on your project but at quick glance looking good!

Current build:

Great Lakes wooden steamer Oscoda, scratch built 60" model length. For R/C

Previous builds (R/C):

Midwest steam tug Seguin

Dumas PT-109 

Robbe "Sea Wolf" submarine

A few others as well

Future projects:

New CAP Maquettes "Le Marignan" fishing trawler for R/C

7' "J" class racing yacht for R/C

and, and, and!.......... 😉

34 minutes ago, javajohn said:

Dave,

I'm following your build with great interest.

I think you are experiencing the compromises that kit builder's make. For me part of the fun is figuring that out and learning how to work around the limitations of the kit. I'm a beginner too and have much to learn. The forum is indeed the best place for that. Everyone here is so helpful. Your build of Lady Nelson looks to me like it will be something to be proud of.

John

The kits offer a great starting point…

And, an opportunity to learn as you go.

If you find your level of interest increasing with the build, researching the vessel will tell you that the kit manufacturers often times cut corners for various reasons.

I’m not criticizing them but pointing out that “kit bashing” is where you, as the builder can go so many different directions.

You can stick to the kit directions and have a beautiful model or you can go for historical accuracy or weather it to look less new or many other directions. Whatever you choose, the end product will be something to be displayed proudly!

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

Ok, it’s time to break open some scale rope and get 10 cannons in place, then move to the anchors, then get her in the permanent base.

F2CA0DD7-9A77-4BD8-9C64-202F99D08BBA.thumb.jpeg.ddf83317672c5b7782be88e54abfa825.jpeg

Dave

Looks really good, Dave. Are things getting any easier now that you have a couple of months experience under your belt? 

You know Keith, I think so. Familiarity of the tools and having the correct tools plus the "how to" help from the forum has defintey helped with the confidence and technique. I am fortunate to be freshly retired and can sit and build as much as I want and I think the deep emersion into the hobby has helped tremendously. And that includes hours of research and chat time here on MSW! 😀

Dave

Hi All, I was going to start rigging the cannons to the deck and I thought I'd better ask. 1:64 scale... what diamter for the big cannon recoil rope? Also, the Amati kit does not address rigging of cannons in anyway, so I don't want to use up line that must be used elsewhere. 

Same question for all the anchor rope. 😐

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

Dave, I think cannon rope size has come up in a couple of MSW discussions. Try searching MSW's search engine and see if you can find them.

Regarding things becoming easier, I thought that was the case. You seem much more at ease now than when you first started. 

Edited by Keith Black

Hi Dave, take a look through this thread: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/21776-carriage-gun-rigging/

I have found it to be an invaluable resource, since I am rather ignorant on the intricacies of gun rigging. Regarding the breeching line: "[it] was roughly 1/3 the diameter of the shot, and was long enough (3 times the length of the cannon bore) to allow the cannon to move about a foot or two inboard of the bulwark to give the gun crew room to swab and load the cannon." What caliber are the guns for LN? I would guess they are supposed to be 4 pounders but I also suspect Amati has supplied the massively oversized pieces that I had on Fly. Historical accuracy aside, your choice of rope size may also be dictated by the ring/eye bolts and blocks that you use. These will have to match or they will look awkward.

Not sure about LN but for the Fly kit I don't think Amati actually made provision for rigging the guns... thus I doubt they would have supplied any line for it. I would advise you to purchase from Syren or Ropes of Scale or look into making your own.

I'm interested to see what advice you get from more experienced users since I will be doing gun rigging soon as well.

-starlight

Edited by starlight

52 minutes ago, starlight said:

Hi Dave, take a look through this thread: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/21776-carriage-gun-rigging/

That's a really good thread... pun intended!

I used it and a few others when I did my cannons on the Bounty.

The size of the breeching line is what Starlight mentioned above.

First time doing cannons, might change things a few things next time.

My results:

1150294451_IMG_6022-Copy.thumb.JPEG.2e9ade8b0a3d51bd8a42121a1d496209.JPEG

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

Hi Starlight, Lyle, Keith,

There is so much I've learned in the past 2 days on just mounting and rigging of ships cannons. I wished I'd have known what I know now last week. I'd have drilled the holes for the eyelets for the breeching lines, but would NOT have glued them in. I am considering taking them out and making a jig for the cannon rope works like Olha Batchvarov shows in her You Tube channel. Sure looks easier than trying to tie them up along the bulwarks! Thank you for the references regarding cannon size, etc., invaluable. Things like I have the eyelets WAY high on the sides of the gun ports. But I just did what I saw on the drawings.

This is the first, and I know being a ficticious ship with poor drawings and scale attention from the kit manufacturer have made me take notes and I have good notes for things that I will make sure are correct on my next build, the Rattlesnake. (did I say that outloud)? This build is mostly about learning the techniques etc.. 😊

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

Good Evening All,

I received my rope for the cannons from Syren this week and the 6/0 line for seizing. I just spent the last 2 hours learning how to do this, but I think I got it. One down, nine to go.

F813986A-D541-4490-A246-DF69150133D1.thumb.jpeg.8839501f590e3c199a168b411a3cb3e9.jpeg

Had Master and Commander playing for inspiration. 😀 The other nine will have rings on the eyelets, I ran out. I also saw in the photo the shiny spots where I used CA on the seizings. I’ve done a lot of research on that one and it appears to be a personal choice with no clear winner. At this point of my abilities, I’d be hard pressed to be using thinned Elmers or Titebond. 

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

Hi All,

Spent the last 3 days learning how to use a drill motor “lathe”. 😀 First picture are the 4 masts I turned. Left to right… 2 poplar dowels, 2nd one stained (did not like that at all), 3rd one was oak. The oak chipped something awful so I had to fill it and then stained it just to see what it looked like. Didn’t like that one either. It was close enough to keep, however there were just to many eye distractions to keep it. The 4th try with the kit supplied walnut went smooth and turned out very good. I’m going to go with it for this first build… later on there’s that old “scale/exact” thing coming. Don’t think masts were made of walnut… and it’s hard to make walnut look like anything other than walnut unless you paint it.

304BA730-0544-422A-8A71-06BE5903DE23.thumb.jpeg.93b7c7ba8469b89a7ad267b6c1f2ef07.jpegFFA7DD4A-5418-46CC-9FF2-ED0B24445CEF.thumb.jpeg.a1edddb87817c7a6b0c14064e271a21c.jpeg

Dave

Dave, good to see you get your feet wet with the poor man's lathe. The method actually works quite well if one is patient. Poplar stains like stink and can only be painted to look like anything, IMHO. regarding oak dowel, instead of using a dark stain try a lighter stain like 'golden oak'. The walnut mast turned out nice, differently a keeper though it looks like it could use a coat of varnish broken with some #0000 steel wool.  

I made such a mess in the shop, I don't know whether to continue and make all the spars and bow sprit or clean up and do it later. The sanding really makes a mess. 😐

Dave

It looks like masts, spars and rigging are about all you have left Dave. Sanding is a messy business but just clean as you go. Saw dust gets everywhere, it can't be helped. 

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!