Lady Nelson by Dave_E - FINISHED - Amati/Victory Models - 1:64

11 hours ago, Dave_E said:

I’m going to try and add some rope coils,

You should definitely do that, you’re not finished until you’re finished.  I showed my method in my Cheerful long, along the way I discovered clear acrylic being a better option for me than diluted PVA. Definitely not CA for these.  

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Decided to hang the starboard anchor... no real reason why. I've seen others do this and decided it fits. Now on to the rope coils.

IMG_3036.thumb.JPG.dd7030f8914e9f61b9ef544f85360a76.JPG

IMG_3037.thumb.JPG.99a5aac026c184b4f6874e5a8ec462ea.JPG

After I took the previous pics, I noticed the lines were not taught on the block and tackle for the anchor, so I tried some shellac magic. It worked. 😁

IMG_3038.thumb.JPG.2354cce655522c4f152a5e8f91d12ff0.JPGl

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, E Z Breeze said:

And what's shellac magic? Is it soaking the rigging in shellac to make it tight and less hairy, because I thought about trying that myself.

Thanks E Z. I goofed and didn’t catch the fuzzy rope I used. The shellac magic went like this. I weighted the anchor so the lines were taught. Then coated them with shellac, let it dry and then took the weight off the anchor and the lines stay nice a straight making it look like the lines were really holding up the anchor.

Dave

Rope coils suck! Just spent 3 hours trying various examples from the forum. No matter what I do, I get coils that do not hang naturally but more like cowboy roping rope. I need some of that twinkle dust that makes the 1:64 scale sailors come to life and coil the ropes on deck. 😳 Have to walk away before I reinvent some language or accidentally break something. 😖

image.thumb.jpg.32e639d5e57889a9c5b3c6207981e898.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.a6821177c0cf497c12a31d6ab317b0c5.jpg

Dave

Dave, those look pretty good. I've seen worse.........mine. For those who can make rope coils look natural, my hat is off to them.  

Hey Dave, I agree with Keith. Your coils look good. Looking at the coil in the stern, maybe you could use the same technique that you used for the anchor and lay something in the bottom of the coil to weigh it down and apply shellac or acrylic to keep its shape.

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

Ok Boys and Girls… Here it is. Did as much coil work as I dare. I have snagged the rigging so many times it’s a miracle I haven’t snapped parts right off the ship. 😆 I’m calling her finished. Will one of you moderators change the title to FINISHED for me? Thanks again to Paul in Australia for making all the guns and to all the rest of you who helped me along the journey of my first wooden ship build with techniques, critiques and encouragement! Was in no hurry, but I had several months of winter rain that kept me indoors. Keel laid December 4, 2021, launched June 28, 2022.

image.thumb.jpg.78a9dda7240a3d39905587d75f022cb0.jpg
image.thumb.jpg.f9e9e1c3998ab1cffad9574a861b7c46.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.06d8004bd5fef05097648a78b25c3392.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.3e4ac4c9b9b2985e8474f728c507860f.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.f503a1ea53c4a8649319c1e9ba660e6e.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.538138909609b1f1c4289e9e02c2c781.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.5015ed0439710b1dfb2461cb4a23c654.jpg

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

Congratulations Dave, that's a fine looking model.  You should be very proud of all the excellent work you've done there. Outstanding workmanship and a first build too!!

Any thoughts about a display case?

Chimp

Current Build: ....

Previous Builds: HMS Beagle - OcCre,   HM Schooner Ballahoo - Caldercraft

Congratulations Dave, Your Lady Nelson is a true beauty you can be proud off. There's lots of detail to please the eye. What a nice result for the first completed build of a wooden ship and I guess very satisfying (I still have to reach this point ;)).
I have one question left, if I might. Why are some guns not run out, like the others?

Cheers Rob 

Current builds:  AEG G.IV Creature of the Night - WNW - 1/32
                             McLaren Mp4/6 - Ayrton Senna - Fujimi - 1/20 - paused
                             Duchess of Kingston - paused 

Finished builds: F4U-1A Corsair - Tamiya 1/32

USS Arizona 1/350 Eduard
                             Caudron C.561 French Racing Plane 1/48
                             Nachtigall on Speed Arado 234 B-2N by DocRob - 1/32 - Fly

Renault RE20 Turbo - Tamiya - 1/12
                             P-38J Wicked Woman - Tamiya - 1/48

Congratulations Dave on the completion of your Lady Nelson. You did a beautiful job. I look forward to your next project.

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

Dave, congratulations on completing your Lady Nelson and a fine ship she turned out to be. There were a few rough patches in the beginning but then what journey doesn't have its moments. I'm proud for you. 

Edited by Keith Black

Well done Dave! She's a lovely little ship. Where are you going to display her?

Are you still going to build the rattlesnake next or has some other kit caught your eye? 

Terrific job Dave!  Congratulations!

Current Build:  Sultana 1:64

Completed: Lowell Grand Banks Dory

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack

NRG 18th Century Merchantman Half Hull Project

Congratulations Dave. Your Lady Nelson looks pretty darn nice. I'm looking forward to you next one.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Hi All,

Thank you Keith, Chris, Dave, Paul, Kirby, Paul, Glen, Mark and all the others who have followed and commented, it's been a pleasure learning from you all! 😀

Rob, the guns are in their different configuration for one reason on this first build... I kept breaking them off the deck from the outside as I was rigging. You can see in my earlier posts that I did have the cannons all run out before I started the rigging. So I just said, "I think they look good anywhere I cant break them". 😆

Ben, the Admiral and I had a serious talk about a display case. I will be honest and admit I did not consider the cost of a nice display case into the hobby budget when I started. The cost of a nice display case can exceed the original cost of the ship itself and as mentioned by a few wise men, it is an item often overlooked. I have the Rattlesnake coming up next, it will be a much longer flow build (summer is here and it is a much more complex ship) so I am going to forgo a display case for the Lady but will definitely have one for her. 

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

Nicely done, Dave!

Echoing @Blue Ensign, cutters are beautiful little craft.  I'm looking forward to your Rattlesnake build.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

3 hours ago, Dave_E said:

I will be honest and admit I did not consider the cost of a nice display case into the hobby budget when I started.

Dave, you might consider searching Facebook's Marketplace for display cases. What you find might not be your traditional model ship display case but I guarantee what you find will be cheaper even if building your own traditional case. 

17 hours ago, Dave_E said:

Ok Boys and Girls… Here it is. Did as much coil work as I dare. I have snagged the rigging so many times it’s a miracle I haven’t snapped parts right off the ship. 😆 I’m calling her finished. Will one of you moderators change the title to FINISHED for me? Thanks again to Paul in Australia for making all the guns and to all the rest of you who helped me along the journey of my first wooden ship build with techniques, critiques and encouragement! Was in no hurry, but I had several months of winter rain that kept me indoors. Keel laid December 4, 2021, launched June 28, 2022.

image.thumb.jpg.78a9dda7240a3d39905587d75f022cb0.jpg
image.thumb.jpg.f9e9e1c3998ab1cffad9574a861b7c46.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.06d8004bd5fef05097648a78b25c3392.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.3e4ac4c9b9b2985e8474f728c507860f.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.f503a1ea53c4a8649319c1e9ba660e6e.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.538138909609b1f1c4289e9e02c2c781.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.5015ed0439710b1dfb2461cb4a23c654.jpg

Very nice build!!! Can't wait to follow your next one.

Congratulations on your first model. It looks great, you’ve done a nice job.  I’m sure you’ve learned a lot along the way you’ll apply to future models. 

I’m not a fan of display cases myself. They take up too much space and gather more dust than the model. I just dust them all off every six months one so. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 2 weeks later...