Lady Nelson by Dave_E - FINISHED - Amati/Victory Models - 1:64

Hi All,

Thought I’d be all excited about getting the shrouds back in place, but after I did… I’m scratching my head wondering how am I going to pull this off. Looking at the LN as she is, it’s like a catch 22. If I had proceeded with rigging with the shrouds and rat lines done and in place, getting to other parts of the rigging looked nay impossible. Now the rest of the rigging is done and I wondering how to do the rat lines. 😳 I see lots of logs where the standing rigging all gets done first. Is that the norm? Did I mess up completing all the rigging first? Looking at it where she lay, how bad is it?

70520949-EC39-4C68-A339-DA42D6A42970.thumb.jpeg.a9facd40fbff357f11bf18dacdcd5e92.jpeg

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

You made your job more difficult, but it can be done as is. Doing the ratlines now will take a lot of finesse, patience and time. You have weathered the storms before in this build, you can weather this one. 

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

As someone else has suggested - ground up, middle outwards and front to back. All standing rigging needs to be completed first (but after such items as booms etc), then the ratlines and finally running rigging. This is similar to actual practice, after all you re building a miniature ship.  It will be a little awkward but not impossible. 

Rick

Took the night off from rigging and worked on the swivel guns. These beauties were fabricated (in fact all the cannons on the ship) by Henrythestaffy who lives in Australia. There are many things wrong with this first build, but the cannons are not one of them! Thank you Paul!

7EE6892B-658A-40F3-BBFC-11D169305CF9.thumb.jpeg.e81b4d9bb30e029a265084d6048c60b7.jpeg9E911A3C-2317-451F-8801-3B5A809BF95E.thumb.jpeg.c986e400945e63cd2bc9d1803021ff08.jpegB335C081-A3C5-4D40-8855-898B3FD9D60C.thumb.jpeg.3c870a7e7336a816a1d70c87ddba6df8.jpeg

Dave

9 hours ago, Rick01 said:

Are you going to add coils of rope where-ever you've ended any running rigging?

Rick

Hey Rick,

Not sure, since It appears I didn’t do any rigging in the correct order. I might do more damage and have to rebuild than to just leave it if I were to attempt. The rat lines should be a minor nightmare. Depending on how that goes, I’ll consider it. This first build is turning out better than I hoped. I have learned where some of my natural talent works well and where I need to “learn” new technique. The 1:64 scale allows for lots of unseen techniques and errors… sometimes to our advantage. We’ll save that discussion for another day. 😁

Dave

This is really a great build for a first kit..  You will have a much better feel for when to do what on your next..    Most importantly, do what works for you and don't get bogged down, worrying if you are doing it "right "..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

24 minutes ago, Gregory said:

This is really a great build for a first kit..  You will have a much better feel for when to do what on your next..    Most importantly, do what works for you and don't get bogged down, worrying if you are doing it "right "..

Thanks for those encouraging words Greg. There are some real artists on the site and they give everyone inspiration and levels of excellence to work toward, but you don’t get there overnight. 😊 I have a book full of the oop’s and notes to reflect on when I start the Rattlesnake later this summer.

Dave

8 hours ago, Dave_E said:

Depending on how that goes, I’ll consider it.

At least make up a couple and give it a try. It just finishes off the rigging. It's basically a matter of making a coil of 6~8 loops round  something like a thick pen, with 4~5 centimetres of line tucked under the loops. Tie it off to hold the loops together and use a little PVA glue to shape the rope into something resembling a natural fall. Once it's dried then, using the excess line hook it up onto the belaying pin, a little more PVA to position it and it's done. Fiddly I know but worth the effort.

DSCF4224.thumb.JPG.ae6526d0d3876029ed36a6a0090523ee.JPG

Different ship, but you get the idea.

Rick

Hi Dave,

I'll echo what others have said - you can add the ratlines after the running rigging is in place, even though it presents a bit more of a challenge. Ditto on adding coils after the fact. At this scale you won't see it. Think of each knot as a project. Once you get started, it will get easier as you go along and pretty soon you will wonder why you thought it would be impossible.

John

Current Build: Rattlesnake (Model Shipways 1:64)

Good Sunday Morning Everyone,

John, I just completed the port side ratlines last night. No photo just yet. I did everything I could right and wrong including what glue to use and used 3 different glues; CA, diluted wood PVA and polyurethane. I’ve got the knots down, but here to tell you, when you get up to the top of the shrouds and space becomes a premium, there is no way to tie the clove hitch… so I did what I could. 😊 It will take a few days and then I’ll post some photos. I am NOT using CA so don’t hammer me for it. I had used some on the port side, then found a thread about glueing ratlines and got that fired up. 😁Thanks for all your input and support guys! 👍😀

Dave

Dave, there are two discussions on MSW that are sure to divide the community, CA and Polyurethane. I use both in copious amounts.:)   I use poly thread so I don't see a problem using CA to secure knots. I use Polyurethane to seal wood and painted surfaces.  I'll be long dead before I regret having used either.

Find what works for you and full speed ahead. The cries from the shore that you'll surly sink can only be heard if you stop sailing long enough to pay attention to them. 

Hello Everyone,

It’s Friday night and I just finished up the starboard side ratlines. First let me say… ratlines were a challenge on this first build, probably because I messed up the order of rigging. The starboard side turned out much better than the port as I learned the techniques and got better tweezers (wow what a difference they make). Lots of imperfections to be sure, but lots of learning took took place and I made notes for the Rattlesnake coming up.

73926971-E178-4D61-8A45-A7303AA80871.thumb.jpeg.a6e49303cc21543e260047afbc4c16b8.jpeg

6960EC63-D7C8-4E63-8F43-033937E12A75.thumb.jpeg.355929952e2e80728c82ffab1c6c5f3a.jpeg

On to the anchors. 😀

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

Very nice work.  I envy how you have been able to progress the way you have in a relatively short period of time..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Well done Dave!

One small comment, I really hope you don't mind.  The hawser was secured to the ring with an inside clinch or similar knot, not seized so it was easy to remove.  The sketch below is from page 129 of Lees' Masting and Rigging.  This may be what you have, but it looks like it is seized in the photo.

Allan

642053279_Hawserinsideclinch.JPG.7cadc955988fbabdc77128b9c39580b2.JPG

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Allan, I wish we would have connected 2 hours ago. I ended up with what I did after searching and looking at 4 different builds, all had something different. I have your reference on file for the Rattlesnake. 👍😀

Dave

11 minutes ago, Gregory said:

Very nice work.  I envy how you have been able to progress the way you have in a relatively short period of time..

Retired… it’s a holiday, lawn is wet, cloudy… good day to be in the boat yard. 😁

Dave

You discovered tweezers during rigging the ratlines 😊. You can get those clove hitches at the top, but it is tight. You did a very nice job with them. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Hi Keith,

I’m going to try and add some rope coils, however that will be after I build a jig and practice. It’s tempting to just throw the other anchor on and the upper mast stay and the swivel guns and be done, but I know I can do some learning and some experience for the Rattlesnake and get a better finish on the Lady.

Dave

1 hour ago, Dave_E said:

I’m going to try and add some rope coils, however that will be after I build a jig and practice.

When making my coils for the belaying pins I make up a jig from scrap MDF . Standing on edge I put a number of small nails/pins in close to the edge and after making a coil of 6~8 loops, place it over a nail/pin hanging down. To shape it so that it sits somewhat realistically I then use white PVA glue and carefully pinch the coils into the required shape. make sure you do have a small space at the top so that you can use short length of line to tie the coil to the belaying pin. See the sample I posted further up this page.

Rick 

Dave,  You are very wise to be researching each thing before moving forward. Were the  four methods on the hawser tie off  based on contemporary information, or other kits.  If contemporary, it would really be interesting to see how this varied. 

Regarding coils,  I posted this video in the past, but if you did not see it, it might be helpful.  Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU