Lady Nelson by Dave_E - FINISHED - Amati/Victory Models - 1:64

Dave, you can do this! You definitely need to use tweezers. I always belay the lines on the side of the ship that is away from me, reaching across the deck. I like to reach in with tweezers and wrap the line around the pin once, and only once, and secure it with as small a dab of glue as I can get away with. I always leave the line long and don't cut it off too soon because as carefully as I think I've gauged the tension, it's highly likely that at some point along the way, I'll have to pry that line loose and readjust it slightly as I work on subsequent lines. Only later do I go back and cut the lines off at the pins. I normally use cuticle nippers for most rigging tasks, but here they won't work. You need scissors that are long enough to reach in. And it takes care! It is surprisingly easy to cut the wrong line, or cut the line on the wrong side of the pin, etc. etc.

I think most would agree that the best way to make the coils is separately and off the model. There is one basic way to do this, but there are many variations on it. There are examples on the forum as well as youtube. It's a matter of experimenting until you find the one that seems to work for you. (However, I must warn you, they are all frustrating.) Then add the coils to the belaying pins.

I don't think I care very much for those fat belaying pins either, and like you, would be inclined to replace them with finer brass ones. It appears this would require new pin racks with smaller holes. They aren't too hard to make from scrap material.  I agree with Allan, that it looks like it's still possible to do that, if you think it's worth it, or maybe you'd be just as happy working with the existing pins - they'll certainly work.

You might just be suffering from something that affects me on every build -  as I'm nearing the end of the building part, I can't wait to get started on the rigging, and then very soon into the rigging, I wish I was back working with the wood again. And that's when I start dreaming about the next model. 

Don't give up now. Your model is very good and I'm sure you'll finish the rigging as skilfully as you've done everything else.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Good Sunday Morning Everyone,

Thank you all for the encouragement and good ideas… really. Just read a few responses that have me saying “why didn’t I think of that”? 😊Just before I quit for the night, I did remove the remaining shrouds so I had clear access to the rigging at the belaying pins and was successful securing the line to one. 

I know I’m going through what most of you might have experienced on your first build. Things like having a spar all set and ready to do go and start and then realize you didn’t thread a block before you tied off at the other end, or forgot a screw eye on a block that is already rigged and secured to a spar. 😠😆 Learning curve.

Thank you for following and the comments. Can’t imagine what LN would look like at this point without MSW and you all. 👍😀

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Look at my Cheerful build rigging for the simple tools I use for rigging. You don’t have to remove the shrouds to master belaying with the right tools. See mine and other build logs (like Delf’s Speedy log),or Google, for how to belay and run lines. The coils are done with a separate piece of line after the rigging line is belayed and cut, not with the excess. You’ll either need to remake the pin rack or just stick with the fat ones you started with. 

Rigging is a different aspect of modeling that takes patience and time to learn.  The LN rigging is basic and a great way to learn it.  I really enjoy and look forward to rigging my models. My first model was the AVS, I would have been lost without the Bob Hunt practicum, but that was long before MSW and the many excellent build logs to learn from. 

You post a lot of questions around the forum which is fine, but maybe take a step back and make the time to look through build logs to see how things are done.  Nothing you need to do to rig hasn’t been done many times before and explained in many build logs, do the research, don’t just rely on often confusing or contradictory comments to your log.  

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Dave, for LN it is a little late but pick up a book or two on rigging. Lennarth Petersson has two one on Fore and aft craft and another on period ship models. James Lees, "The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625- 1860" is also a great reference. You will get this done it sometimes just takes additional tools and eyes to help.

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

2 hours ago, Paul Le Wol said:

if the holes in the pin rack are too big you could try pushing the rope down through the hole and tying it to the rack. Then push the belaying pin into the hole. Hang a coil of on the pin.  On a few of mine I found it easier to make a clove hitch and slide it up onto the pin under the rack, tension the line and then put a hitch on the pin above the rack.

Great tip, Paul. Thank you.

Dave, hang in there. You've overcome all the obstacles up to this point but I have to say, rigging a ship for the first time is a challenge but I know you're up to it. 

1 hour ago, Keith Black said:

Dave, hang in there.

Couldn't have said it better..  There are all kinds of tricks for faking the rigging.  Particularly making your coils separate off the boat..

The oversize pin rack holes should be easy to hide.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

4 hours ago, Oldsalt1950 said:

Dave, for LN it is a little late but pick up a book or two on rigging. Lennarth Petersson has two one on Fore and aft craft and another on period ship models. James Lees, "The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625- 1860" is also a great reference. You will get this done it sometimes just takes additional tools and eyes to help.

Jim

I have 4 books on period ship rigging, 2 of them sorry I wasted my money on. IF a person were to want to step back in time and really learn all the lingo and science of the day to build model ships… cool, if one were striving for 100% period accuracy perhaps.

After reading through MANY MANY build logs, I see most have their way to the solution. I have the same tools everyone has (maybe have to learn how to use them 😆). Between the horrible plan sheets of the LN and others builds and books with PICTURES, we get to some building conclusion. The plans for the rigging of the boom I’m doing now are really messed up. After looking and studying (and then going to Glenn’s build), yep they’re messed up. I came to the same conclusion and plan Glenn did on his build and that’s where I learned I probably should have waited to fasten down the shrouds. All good now and proceeding. 

The easiest way to the expertise on this forum is to ask, and I thank all of you for your help. 👍😀

Dave

Hi All,

Monday night, got the boom done and working on the driver but it will have to wait, I’m going to bed. 😆

4401AB9E-743A-4293-8F78-5CCC6812E1B9.thumb.jpeg.5c9cd0e9b048f9eecdadd0188c100a74.jpegD4DEA09E-060D-469E-948E-84F399E05279.thumb.jpeg.82a20e9d34df35df9da09fcdd308b450.jpeg

Edited by Dave_E
I’m retired, forgot what day it was. 🤣

Dave

Thursday evening... rigging coming along as best I could hope for on this first build. Up next, middle yard. I'll save the detail photos for completion, these are just build updates. 😁

IMG_3011.thumb.JPG.0e5556a11a42a24d19a3b74a1a34580c.JPGd

Dave

Coming along beautifully Dave. The LN like the Albatros is one of those ships open to interpretation, since it didn't actually exist. Sometimes you just have to pick a way to do things. You are almost done and LN looks really smart and just about ready for her debut.

Jim

18Th Century Longboat

Good Morning Everyone. Thanks Guys for the support. Here is my library. RIGGING by Lennarth Petersson was actually the most help for the LN. the Shop Notes from the NRG is a pretty cool reference, but it is very broad, not just rigging. The others including Steel’s are for studying and learning anything and everything about wooden sailing vessels from that period in history. As I have mentioned before, it really depends on what each model maker in this hobby is after. Myself, I prefer pictures and photos, so I know what goes where. 😁

27BBF62F-6A64-4A26-A239-30C2E7B6DF8E.thumb.jpeg.690109defed40af39a670f7cc6ac17c1.jpeg

Edited by Dave_E

Dave

I don't have the Steel book but have Biddlecome's 'Art of Rigging". You need the pictures , an explanation alone just won't be enough. 

18Th Century Longboat

Lee’s is very good too.

Looking real good, Dave!

Lyle

"The only thing that stays the same is the constant state of change"

Completed Builds:

Occre HMS Terror - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2065-hms-terror-occre/

NRG Half Hull Project - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23546-half-hull-project-by-lylek1-nrg/

1:130 1847 Harvey - https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/2125-1847-baltimore-clipper-harvey-1130-scale/

Scott Miller's Sea of Galilee Boat https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29007-sea-of-galilee-boat-by-se-miller-120-scale-lylek1/

In progress:

Artesania Latina HMS Bounty - https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26817-hms-bounty-by-lylek1-artesania-latina-148-scale/

Waiting for dry-dock space:

Model Shipways - USS Constitution

Master Korbel - Cannon Jolle 1801

A Scratch build -TBD

Generally looking good, but the footropes on the main spar look a little "low" from this angle. Ideally they should be set so that  man using them would be able to lean against the spar at waist height. So they should work out at a scale drop of around 85~90 cm approx. 14 mm +/- I think. I've always had problems with them myself and have found that to get a realistic hang to them a 50/50 solution of PVA glue and water will help set them properly.

Rick 

Interestingly enough, I fought those foot ropes more than anything on the build so far. Made 4 sets before I settled on these. I agree they look a little long (and probably are when I get a scale Dude up there). That is one thing I’ve noticed on lots of builds… foot ropes that look to long. It’s in my notes for things to pay attention to on the next build. 👍

Dave

Great photo Keith!  The dixie cup head gear tells me probably US and post 1885 but I am curious to know which ship and year if you know.

Thanks!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

There is a big difference just from the time I was in to today. Now they can stay inside for most of the climb as opposed to climbing a ladder in the elements. I worked 3 days aloft on the foreward mast of DLG14 changing out an antennae motor. No fun at all, great views however.

18Th Century Longboat

I really need to bite the bullet and buy a couple 1:64 scale dudes. I tightened up the foot ropes. Haven’t glued the inner points yet.

46537B69-59B8-44CC-988D-99C4176B9BBF.thumb.jpeg.ff3c4b62f83109946f40f426807bd42c.jpeg

Dave