Untangling and rerigging or start from scratch?

I'm sorry to see the direction this ship model restoration went. From what I could see from the pictures of the ship model as found, that it was not a really complicated restoration. Time consuming yes but no need to completely deconstruct the rigging to do so.   I have spent over 50 years as a professional model builder. During that time I have taken on several restoration projects for private collections and museums.  I certainly do no claim to be any where near being an expert on model sailing ship building or many other things but restoration is just that; restoration. To restore a model is to take it back to as close as possible as the original builder built it. It does not mean to correct any design mistakes.  

Fall down nine times, get up ten.

Bill, if it were scratch built or of historical significance I would agree but being a kit........

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 7:45 PM, Keith Black said:

Ray, steering wheel is incorrect

Keith, I came across this when browsing through the drawings at Wiki Commons, and thought I remembered someone commenting in this regard.

Wheel.jpg.95769b8861abf67f98c0aa23f1b0b495.jpg

Whoever drew this didn't get the word..😁

Link to Wiki.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Gregory,

Another piece of contemporary evidence showing that there are few, in any, absolutes in the arena of ship building and modeling. Nice find.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

There were many 'experimental' drawings made; the standard steering wheel didn't need a detailed explanation with the drawing. The example above was obviously a proposal that didn't eventually make the cut.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hey there Ray,

I'm a little late to the party here - but my opinion is that if the hull / decks are decent, it can actually be a pretty good re-build for a newcomer.  Framing and planking the hull is often one of the most difficult aspects of a build for a beginner. In this case, you can bypass that - do some research here on the forum to determine how deep down that rabbit hole you want to go - and go from there. Although the Victory is ambitious, I think it's eminently doable.

The other thing to consider is budget - you'll find lots of sources here for research, materials, and no shortage of advice and encouragement.  Good luck with whatever you decide. 

Two cents from another retired MSgt.

Edited by Moonbug

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/14/2022 at 1:33 PM, Gregory said:

Keith, I came across this when browsing through the drawings at Wiki Commons, and thought I remembered someone commenting in this regard.

Wheel.jpg.95769b8861abf67f98c0aa23f1b0b495.jpg

Link to Wiki.

One of the correct depictions in this drawing is of the 'king spoke.'  It is the top-most handle which is slightly larger and has different shape and feel to it.  With the king spoke straight up, the rudder is amidships; the ship sailing straight ahead.  In the dark a helmsman can tell in which direction the ship is headed by having his hand one the king spoke.

In commencing on being a model shipwright, keep your hand on the king spoke!  :) 

Results, not Excuses,

AnchorClanker

“Behold, how good and pleasant it is

when brothers and sisters dwell in unity!"

Ps 133:1

3 hours ago, Chief Mark said:

One of the correct depictions in this drawing is of the 'king spoke.'  It is the top-most handle which is slightly larger and has different shape and feel to it.  With the king spoke straight up, the rudder is amidships; the ship sailing straight ahead.  In the dark a helmsman can tell in which direction the ship is headed by having his hand one the king spoke.

It would only work if the if helmsman kept track of how many times he turned the wheel and didn't spin it.  To be honest, I'm not sure that except in movies the wheel was ever spun madly.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, I don't know about sailing ships, but when I was at sea it was three and a half turns from midships to hard over in either direction.  I can assure than when steering (cadets had to learn to steer amongst our other accomplishments) I always knew exactly how much helm I had on without having to look at anything! :D

I agree with the Hollywood 'wheel spin'. That would only work if the wheel wasn't connected to anything (or it was electric steering).  Even with a steam steering engine to assist, it took some effort to turn the wheel.  On a sailing ship with a completely manual steering system, it must have taken considerable muscle.

John

I have one totally different thought.  Why not put this model in storage for a while and build a simpler, different ship to learn to use the tools, learn terminology, get a feel for rigging, and then tackle the repair job?  The ship you have is pretty complicated and learning how to do it right will not be easy. Having another build under your belt might make that task a LOT easier. Something like a two mast topsail schooner for example.

On 1/2/2022 at 10:24 PM, Rgpracer said:

Thanks Jim.....will the book by Longridge, Anatomy of Nelson's Ships help me with the proper rigging of the shrouds or can you give me a source please?

Thanks

I just posted my copy of the Longridge book as available as well as the definitive James Lees book if you are interested. Just send a pm.

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

• 1 month later...

Hi Ray,

Being a little late to your game, so to speak, I echo the advise already given about packing up the ship and saving it for a rainy day, and after gaining more experience as a model shipwright.  I am also new to the game.  You might want to consider Louie da fly's Winchelsea Nef.  Check out his build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29377-winchelsea-nef-1274-ad-by-louie-da-fly-175-finished/.  This is where I am starting as well.  Here is my build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/29758-winchelsea-nef-by-chief-mark-scale-196-first-wood-scratch-build/.

Welcome and best to you!

Chief Mark

Results, not Excuses,

AnchorClanker

“Behold, how good and pleasant it is

when brothers and sisters dwell in unity!"

Ps 133:1