first attempt with rope rocket

mnewsholme

made a first attempt at making my own rope using rope rocket. I think I need to wind it a lot tighter at both stages? actually looks better in real life than in the closeups. using 3 strands of mara 70 2899 color.

Question for those that have used rope rocket. Theres a pin that you put in the tailstock to prevent it rotating whilst you do first stage using headstock. You then remove this while you lay the rope up using the tailstock. Whilst laying up should the headstock be left free to rotate or immobilised somehow (no hole for a pin). I cant see whats happening at headstock end in videos showing rope being laid up and not sure which option is correct.1809671802_1rope1.jpg.2299e46085616be2b0ffc8816e03abba.jpg956875817_1rope2.jpg.d4b2b434f8bcaa37a61adabb0cc92f24.jpg 

Matt

Current Builds

HMS Winchelsea by Mnewsholme

Duchess of Kingston by Mnewsholme Vanguard models 1:64

Previous Builds

Lady Eleanor Vanguard models 1:64 completed

Nice try.  Keep at it.  But yes you need to probably increase twists on both ends quite a bit.  Probably by a multiple of 5 or more.   Dont be afraid to really twist it.   Those examples are much to loose.

For comparison ...look at this rope.   The lay should almost be at 90 degrees to the rope before you cut it free.   Then harden the rope and it will relax a bit more and up with the correct angle and tighter lay.

If built properly the head stock will not (should not) rotate when you start laying up the rope.  If it does, that means your gears are way too loose.  If in the rare event that you build up so much tension in the head stock eye hooks that it starts unwinding.  You should either tighten the gears more or place a clamp on one eye hooks to prevent it from spinning.   But that should not happen unless you are making huge rope with a ton of tension being built up.  I can tell from your photos however, that you are under-twisting by a whole lot.......a whole lot.

Syrenultrarope.jpg

Thanks Chuck

Will give it another go tomorrow and crank up the twisting. Suspected I hadn't gone far enough so good to have the confirmation.

Matt

Current Builds

Previous Builds

From my experiences with Mara you really have to tighten it (especially that first side). If you've watched any videos using cotton thread you probably want to spin it significantly more. Keep at it though!

Edited by VTHokiEE

Watch the first video part again...  Note how at the end I use a small clamp to stop it from unwinding if you build up so much tension it starts to untwist.  Usually only for really big ropes.   Note how far I walked the head stock.....quite a bit for a short rope.   That is a lot of twists.  Dont be afraid to twist those strands a lot.

and the second video just to complete the process.

Remember that I am using linen/cotton thread in the videos.   If you are using poly.....tie a knot on both ends and bake your rope in the oven as I detailed in this topic below.

My rule of thumb for laying up is that the strands end up roughly 45 degrees to the axis of the rope. If you look at Chuck's line, you'll see this clearly.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

attempt 2. 3 strands mara 30 696. Wound it much tighter this time Was a bit surprised how tension I could put into the thread without it snapping. Think I could have put a bit more in too but think angle on this looks about right, certainly an improvement on first attempt. Need to a macro lens for this type of photo too.

1rope3.jpg.3eb4e7a94c93d707611b004a5ec42fc9.jpg

Matt

Current Builds

Previous Builds

That looks real good!

As long as you let the headstock move you shouldn't have to worry about breakage..  If it gets too tight it will start to kink..

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

That's looking about right! Don't worry too much about polyester snapping, you can twist and pull the heck out of it. The only thing I don't like about Mara thread is that it can be a bit fuzzy.  

That's a great result for sure. It took me quite few tries to get it the way I like but it's really rewarding. Once you fit that rope and compare it with others there is no way bac ;)

Well done ;)

Regards

Tom

Current Builds:

HMS Victory by DeAgostini 1/84

HMS Victory Build

We don't stop playing because we grow old... we grow old because we stop playing...

I am to do more trials rope making tomorrow. I find it easy to do but hard to master after only a couple of tries.

Am to buy a small counter top oven/roaster for my workshop intended only for rope. This in order to keep the Admiral happy.😉

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Nirvana,

Depending on the temperature and size that you want, the clay baking ovens may be a good thing for you.  The one I have from Amaco goes to 300 degrees F and has a timer for up to 30 minutes.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Allan, 

Thanks for the input.

So what is the difference between this Mainstay unit and Amacos that is three times more expensive and only goes to 300°

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-4-Slice-Black-Toaster-Oven-with-Dishwasher-Safe-Rack-Pan-3-Piece/110482692

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Amaco-Polymer-Clay-and-Craft-Oven/12347699

Maybe Chuck has a thought to add.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

None really.  Its all the same.  I have a cheap $30 toaster oven.  It works a treat.  It has a rack and that is all you need.  Bake at 275 to 325 degrees for about 5 or 6 minutes.    

its easy peasy.