Maximum size of a photo for this forum

Another good thing to know, is that you can adjust the size of the picture in your post, so it doesn't overpower the look of the page.  But when you click on the picture it will be displayed at full resolution.

image.jpeg.ca9d18c779e002d50594e08a382d78e8.jpeg

Just double click on the picture while you are composing, and you will see this:

image.png.803e689d0ab61579723ea6f9365e482b.png

Click on the "  Keep original aspect ratio " and you can change one aspect and the size will adjust without cropping or distorting.

Click on my pictures to see the size change..

You can also do this while editing if you don't like the way it looks after posting.

Your original full size picture information is still there, so you can make size changes without re-loading the picture.

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

1 hour ago, James H said:

1500 wide

Before, if I remember correctly, it was 2000, which is a good size for a monitor, now at 1500, it is less flexible. 

Very few people used 2000, so adding the fact that there are a lot of photos on this site, there was probably no reason to keep it at 2000.

56 minutes ago, Gaetan Bordeleau said:

Before, if I remember correctly, it was 2000, which is a good size for a monitor, now at 1500, it is less flexible. 

Very few people used 2000, so adding the fact that there are a lot of photos on this site, there was probably no reason to keep it at 2000.

Many of my pics are 2000. The system will adjust accordingly. 

Just a thought, many users are on slow internet connections. With my rural American internet, posts with lots of large photo files load slowly and awkwardly, and can really undercut the user experience. I suspect the same is true in many countries. Unless you're trying to show very clear detail, users might consider keeping basic photos relatively small (in terms of file size) to increase the site's accessibility for all users.

3 hours ago, Cathead said:

Just a thought, many users are on slow internet connections. With my rural American internet, posts with lots of large photo files load slowly and awkwardly, and can really undercut the user experience. I suspect the same is true in many countries. Unless you're trying to show very clear detail, users might consider keeping basic photos relatively small (in terms of file size) to increase the site's accessibility for all users.

All my photos are saved through Photoshop are exported in 'save for web - legacy'. This brings the images down to a few hundred kb.

• 6 months later...

I export from Adobe Lightroom to a “boat” preset that scales my photos to 1500 pixels on the long edge. Before exporting I crop them to show I want to show to eliminate wasted space. At least this is what works for me. 

My post have text supported by photos and vice versa. My opinion is too much of one without the other is less interesting or difficult to follow. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose