HMS Bounty by MeandSuzy1 - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:48

Well I've been looking around and it would seem theres lots here in the know. I got a screaming deal on the model mentioned above. It was the one I really wanted. I cut out and sanded all the tits off the pieces and labelled each set in it's own clear bag. Got all set and I want to (would love to) hear from those in the know if there's a frame assembly glue that you all have had great success with? I think I'm good to start. Made jig to hold spine straight, and would love to hear. Mainly bout glue, BUT. If there's anything else that would start me off with more success. 

THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH

MeanSuzy1

Welcome to MSW.  It would be great if you would post a little intro about yourself and a name by which we can address you in the new member forum.

Regarding your project, there are numerous posts and discussions regarding glues here at MSW and there is no single answer.   Most seem to prefer carpenters' glue (yellow PVA) for all wood to wood, (me included) but many others like cyanoacrylate, others epoxy, and more.  

I assume you have studied the numerous build logs on the same Bounty kit here at MSW as that will help you during your building process.  If not, it will be a big help pointing out the plusses and minuses you will encounter including where to research additional sources of information such as proper planking techniques and more.

Read five times, glue once. 😀

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 4 weeks later...

I'd suggest opening a build log to carry on from here.   This area is more for methods and jigs than a build.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Me&Suzy

Just open a build log and move the photos and text.  I am sure more folks will see your work and help you as you wish.

Are the gratings supplied with the kit?  The reason I ask is that they do not look like a real grating nor do the head ledges and coamings around the gratings.  Most kit makers do not seem to understand how gratings and the coamings and ledges were made thus supply their own make-believe design.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

You really should move this thread to a build log.  This is not the best place to be posting your build.

Just a suggestion.

Allan

I went ahead and retitled this and moved it to the appropriate build log section.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I did this mid deck rail. I'll photo a step by this aft or morrow. I figured .75 high would be 36" in reality. Actually, again I followed pretty much on the heels of what LyleK1 did...The 5/8 plywood give me the spacing...This part is anal to get right for first rail as it sets the stage for the other 2 sides. When there's 2 done the 3rd only needs one wee clamp. In top left of second pic you can see the rail lapp joint

20220604_052206.jpg

20220604_085620.jpg

20220604_104742.jpg

Edited by MeandSuzy1

I had the notion (above) that a way to keep mast holes aligned was size for size drill bits. Maybe an AL expert can chime in. When lining up lower I lost top. Unless these things sailed with a 8 to 10 degree tilt on mast (which I doubt) I ended up having to re-align front and rear. Hope it works. My objective was rib alignment.  Hope that flies.pic shows hole moved for rib alignment 

20220612_121602.jpg

It just occurred as I tried to move a mast ring by reaming. I'll just groove the mast for alignment on install at the lowest hole...so I'll be off 3 or so degrees from perpendicular... NO sweat I guess.... if I remember . Ya I'm probably building just more of a sailing ship, as I'm not real struck on artesianas notion of stuff like cabins and flowers. I want to keep it clean. I find some of the stuff in kit for those 2 areas kinda gorpy looking. Gone on hold as I await some decor I ordered. Will be here as soon as I get going again

Edited by MeandSuzy1