DEVICE TO FINISH ROPE ENDS TO HANG ON BITTS AND BELAY PINS

So I have to admit that I have been having real issues trying to tie off the rope ends when finishing lines on the bitts near the masts. As I aim to keep the rope ready to unrig should I choose to do so. There is just not enough room for my fingers.
Well I thought about it an came up with a type of fork (refer diagrams).

Taking the end of the rope between thumb and spindle, I rotate the device wrapping the rope around the two dowels until I get to the bitts. I then put the device down and then using long tweezers wrap the end around the rope loop and finish off.   I then slip the loop off the device and then hung the rope over the bitts. Worked great first attempt (after doing some off model trials). You may not like how I finished the rope but that's up to your own preference as its independent of the device.

The images show the first finished rope on the foremast bitts followed by the device and then the sequence I follow to create the rope loop.

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

Completed:  

PORT JACKSON - 1803 Topsail Schooner 1/50 by Modellers Shipyard

HMB ENDEAVOUR - 1768 Bark 1/64 by Artesania Latina

Under Construction:  

HMAV BOUNTY - 1/60 by Amati

NORFOLK Colonial Sloop- 1/64 Scratchbuild

HMS EURYALUS - 1:48 Scratchbuild POF

Next Project:  

HMS THUNDRER - 1/48 CAF Models/Scratchbuild

Planned:  

HMS SUPPLY - 1/64 Scratchbuild

HMS SIRIUS

Peter! That is so cool! I just went through this last week and wish you’d have posted a week earlier. 😊 This just became a jig to make. Thanks for sharing. 👍😀

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Clever and it obviously works well!!!    Alternatively, you can also use the following method, although your device might be easier at our scales.

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Yes, good idea. I improvised in the past.

Just a side note: the coil would not be hung with the main loop over the belaying pins etc., but rather one uses the last bight and winds it around the coil so that one loop hangs out which is used to hang the coil. To cast loose, you just take it off the pin and pull on the running end - the loop sort of forms a slip-knot. It rather difficult to describe, but there are instructions on the Web:

image.png.830c5026b8c688e77e7ce27a81529ce4.png

Or another method through which the coil can be cast loose even faster:

image.png.546afeb35a71ec61c7d7629729b977d2.png

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

While I agree it's a nice jig, something with variable spacing/size would be more useful..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

7 hours ago, wefalck said:

Yes, good idea. I improvised in the past.

Just a side note: the coil would not be hung with the main loop over the belaying pins etc., but rather one uses the last bight and winds it around the coil so that one loop hangs out which is used to hang the coil. To cast loose, you just take it off the pin and pull on the running end - the loop sort of forms a slip-knot. It rather difficult to describe, but there are instructions on the Web:

image.png.830c5026b8c688e77e7ce27a81529ce4.png

Or another method through which the coil can be cast loose even faster:

image.png.546afeb35a71ec61c7d7629729b977d2.png

The first method shown is called a gasket coil and would not be employed on a belaying pin where the coil needs to be able to be cast loose quickly. The gasket coil, as the name implies, is used to coil up and secure the sail gaskets when not in use. The coil is designed to allow the coil to be suspended from it's standing part.

The belaying coil (I don't know the name) hangs the coil from the pin or cleat and can be readily cast off.

Regards,

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

On 7/4/2022 at 3:56 AM, Gregory said:

While I agree it's a nice jig, something with variable spacing/size would be more useful..

agree.  One fixed pin and the other on a slide controlled by a thread to move closer or further from the fixed pin would work nicely.  Probably needs to be made of metal (aluminium) though due to the small size.

Completed:  

Under Construction:  

Next Project:  

Planned:  

HMS SIRIUS

I use one that slightly different... the "posts" are 90 degrees apart.  Once tied and brushed with varnish or glue/water, they hang very naturally as the "droop" is built in.  I use just piece of scrap wood and if I need something a different size, takes about 5 minutes to make a new one.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 7/8/2022 at 11:16 AM, mtaylor said:

I use one that slightly different... the "posts" are 90 degrees apart.  Once tied and brushed with varnish or glue/water, they hang very naturally as the "droop" is built in.  I use just piece of scrap wood and if I need something a different size, takes about 5 minutes to make a new one.

Do you have an image to share?  I don't varnish or glue as I want to be able to uncoil and adjust rigging should th need arise; e.g. should I decide later to add sails.

Completed:  

Under Construction:  

Next Project:  

Planned:  

HMS SIRIUS

Try this.  I couldn't find one that was already made up so I tossed this one together in a few minutes.   Use a long piece of wood and you can set it up to a bunch all at once.  The  line is also scrap and just wrapped a bit so it would need a finishing wrap and knot near the top.  Make it as big or as small as you need for the scale of the model.  I hope this helps.

DSCF3499.JPG.a812720eba608a5aa21925f23cc1aeac.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Some people make the rope coils separately from the actual rigging. You can adjust the rigging all you want, making temporary ties to the belaying points. Then after everything is set you cut off the excess lengths of the rigging lines and attach the rope coils to the belaying points.

Oops...I should have mentioned that I make the coils separately and then attach when the rigging is done.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: