Greetings from Roswell Georgia

Hello all!  I am brand new to ship modelling although it is something I have been interested in my whole life.  Over fifty years ago I bought my first ship model, I believe it was a Billing Boats schooner of some sort although I don't remember which one.  I opened it up, read the instructions, realized how difficult it would be and set it aside.  Somewhere along the way, after 15 or so moves, it disappeared.  About 20 years ago I picked up the Midwest Peterboro Canoe kit at a local hobby shop, saw that it called for using CA glue which I am sensitive to and set it aside.  Since then I gave it away.  So I have not yet actually built anything!  Along the way I have assembled a small library of books on sailing ships and model ship building which I enjoyed reading but still did not build anything.

So now I am an old man with nothing but time on my hands and have finally decided to take the plunge into wooden model ship building.  After perusing this site and others for a week or so I went online to search for my first kit.  Having read the advice about starting simple I decided to try and find a Midwest Level 1 kit.  I sorta went crazy and ended up buying four level 1 kits, the Skiff, the Flattie, the Crabbing Skiff and the Grand Banks Dory (all from eBay).  I also bought the Lobster Smack, the Sharpie Schooner and the Dinghy, all level 2 kits.  In addition I ordered a bunch of tools and building supplies from Amazon.  Then to compound my craziness, today I ordered the Model Shipways Shipwright 3 Ship Combo from Model Expo (it was on sale, how could I resist?).

Everything should be delivered within the next week.  I have been researching build logs for each kit here on MSW but still have not decided which one to start with.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Sorta leaning toward the Model Shipways Dory simply because of the detailed instructions.  I don't expect to produce a masterpiece like so many I see here on this site but am looking forward to starting a log anyway.  I will have to learn how to take and post pictures.  Although my career was in the computer field I am somewhat of a Luddite when it comes to smartphones.  Ah well, just another challenge to overcome!

Thanks for reading this wall of text and I look forward to meeting all of you here online!

Rich L

Edited by RLindsey

Welcome aboard, Rich, from your neighbor to the north. All of the kits you mentioned are great projects and should set you up well for enjoying this great hobby.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2

Hi Rich! Welcome to the forum. You’ve stumbled onto the the best source for wooden ship building knowledge and help on the planet (really)! Don’t be shy asking questions. Start a build log when you get going. 👍😀

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Hello Rich and welcome to MSW. I look forward to seeing what happens next and hope you will make use of the experience available here to get you set up.

BTW, IMHO Roswell is a lovely place. 

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Hi Rich,Welcome if you need anything,  people here will help, best place to be!!!!

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Wow, thanks everyone for the great welcome!  I am really looking forward to my ship building learning journey with help from all of you.  It's going to be a slow process due to health issues (mainly essential tremors and sensitivity to things like CA, epoxy and some paints) but I am committed to this endeavor.

Welcome aboard Rich and ditto to what everyone else has said.  I would have to agree with EZ, you have a fleet in the making.  Great group of people here at MSW and will do everything possible to help you along your voyage into the hobby.  I would think that the best kit to start with is your first one.  Your first kit will get you hooked and as you work your way thru the fleet, your next big decision will be how to rearrange the furniture to make room for the fleet's display case  :cheers: 

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

Welcome to MSW, Rich.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to the fray Rich

Great to see someone start off with kits that will help learn as you go versus starting with a ship of the line.  In addition to tools, if the bug really bit you hard, get ready to hit the bank account for books as there are a lot of great ones for our hobby.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Rich,  Welcome to the forum.  I live in Norcross and would like you to know that we have a club here in the greater Atlanta area.

It is the Atlanta model shipwrights and we meet at the Hobbytown in Buford on the 1st of Saturday of each month at 10:30 AM

There are a bunch of old gray haired men that would you welcome you aboard.  We also have a website atlantamodelshipwrights .

Let me know if I can be of help to you.  Randy

Welcome to the forum. I like your plan, go big and stay at home working on building modeling skills. You have a great selection of kits to start with and they will definitely help you along your journey. I noticed you said you also bought a bunch of tools and supplies; I hope that you ordered a bunch of clamps of just about every type available. You can never have too many clamps. You will find that out as you start getting into your builds. It is not uncommon to have 16 or more clamps along the frame of a build holding things in place. You will also find that there will be times when you will want to build out of sequence from the instruction for convenience sake, so read through the instructions a few times and make notes of where you want to change things up a little. When in doubt ask. Someone here will have an answer for you. Above all else take your time and have fun.

Jim

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome to MSW from Roanoke Island in North Carolina, I think you can see what a great group of shipwrights are onboard to help you get started.  So glad to hear you will be starting a build log to share with the membership.  I believe you will find everyone here is very interested in and supportive of the work of others.  I look forward to hearing from your more as you start your work.... have fun!

Brian

Thanks for all the welcomes, I already feel comfortable here.  Randy, I am glad to hear about the Atlanta area model shipwrights group.  Unfortunately I am pretty much housebound so I won't be able to make it to any of the meetings but perhaps I could become a member anyway and call upon the group's expertise and wisdom from time to time.

Tools and kits have started arriving from ebay and Amazon but not the one I plan to start with yet.  Hoping for early next week.  I suppose I should go ahead and learn to use the camera function on my phone so I will be ready to begin my first log.

Rich

Rich, The club president is David Lockhart and his email is (email addy deleted). A lot of the meetings he does a zoom meeting and you could possibly interact with us in that way.

Randy

I deleted the email addy so he doesn't get spammed to death.  MSW gets trawled by a lot of web crawlers and bots looking for such information.  Please PM him.

Mark 

Randy, it's better to PM personal information that putting it out there for public consumption. Not to fear any MSW members taking advantage but I'm sure we get trolled by those that might would take advantage. You need to delete  David's email addy. 

12 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

Randy, it's better to PM personal information that putting it out there for public consumption. Not to fear any MSW members taking advantage but I'm sure we get trolled by those that might would take advantage. You need to delete  David's email addy. 

I think we cross-posted Keith.  I deleted the email addy.   Hopefully he'll PM Randy.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 7/7/2022 at 3:46 AM, Oldsalt1950 said:

so read through the instructions a few times and make notes

Welcome Rich. I couldn't agree more with Oldsalt on the importance of reading through the instructions before starting your build. I didn't as I started my first (current) build and encountered several problems as a result. Looking forward to seeing your progress on whichever model you select as your starting point.

Ken

Ken

Current Build

HM Alert - 1777 - Vanguard

Next Build

Fair American - Model Shipways

Completed Builds

18TH Century Merchantman Half Hull Planking Kit - NRG

San Juan Felucca - OcCre