MSW down in UK on 25 July 2022?

2 hours ago, hollowneck said:

Yep. I, for one, would not like higher latency; "tech talk" for the "go slows." No, Thanks.

One of the reasons (IMHO) that MSW is so popular is that it is extremely fast - partly owing to a minimum of ads (and rollover nonsense). The small banner ads from our sponsors take only a miniscule amount of data. The ability of members to post large graphics files (build logs, gallery, etc.) is key; the email server on the forum is nice icing on our tasty cake.

Going without our FREE forum for such a short period of time is a good reminder of its value.

We also use SSD drives, so not the spinny, slower things. Read/write access times are much faster. We also have a fast CPU and loads of RAM so queries on our database (anything a member does on MSW) don't slow us down. A nice fast data pipe out of Chicago also helps.

On 7/26/2022 at 8:09 PM, realworkingsailor said:

Out of simple curiosity, is there another way to notify the MSW membership of an outage outside of Facebook?

I’m sure there are more than a few members (myself included) that want nothing to do with that site.

Can another method be setup? (“Sign up here to receive email notifications”?). Rather than pestering the hard working admins with countless messages asking the same question.

Andy

Or perhaps if MSW  was also on Twitter?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

On 7/26/2022 at 10:59 AM, wefalck said:

Too bad, if you are not on FaceBook and are wondering what is going on ...

You tend to find that someone who is not on Facebook will rarely use any other social media platform, generally. 

Social media is really the only way we can communicate that we are down. We can't send out 42k emails to tell our members as our mail server would also be un-operational. 

We could, theoretically, open a Blog page which we can use for service updates in such eventualities, but again, it's just something else for me to do, plus our downtime is so rare that if it happens, it's not worth the effort. 

James,

My initial post wasn't a 'complaint' .... it was more of a detailed  heads-up for future reference for MSW Admin. Apologies if it was seen as such.

As always, I think MSW is an amazing safe harbour - thank you.

Regarding alerting folks (eg me) who refuse to allow 'social media' apps on their devices, how about an 'Announcements' heading on the NRG website ( https://thenrg.org/journal )  ...I don't think NRG use the same server as MSW since I'm sure I had a look on NRG for info when MSW was down.

Regards,

Richard

39 minutes ago, Rik Thistle said:

James,

My initial post wasn't a 'complaint' .... it was more of a detailed  heads-up for future reference for MSW Admin. Apologies if it was seen as such.

As always, I think MSW is an amazing safe harbour - thank you.

Regarding alerting folks (eg me) who refuse to allow 'social media' apps on their devices, how about an 'Announcements' heading on the NRG website ( https://thenrg.org/journal )  ...I don't think NRG use the same server as MSW since I'm sure I had a look on NRG for info when MSW was down.

Regards,

Richard

Thankfully, that wouldn't involve me updating it, as I have zero to do with the NRG site 😁

Much ado about nothing.  MSW is an extremely well run site, fast, both in response time and uploading large files, and is an amazing community of people.  Facebook is a widely accepted social media platform and all that’s needed for any offline messages. Those that don’t want to follow MSW on Facebook, like those that do, need only patience to wait for the site to return during extremely rare times the site is down. I also received notice from NRG, another good reason to become a member there.

I’m sure there won’t be another 2013, and even if there is I, like others, create my build logs offline and post them, ensuring they won’t be lost like my long detailed Pegasus log. I can count on one hand the number of times the site has been down. The impressive availability of the site doesn’t require or benefit from any changes to the IT structure, nor the expense that would go with it. 

MSW is not free to run. I’d encourage everyone to click on the donations tab on the upper right of the home page a periodically make a contribution to keep the site we all love up and running with the latest technology.  

Thank you admins!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

9 hours ago, chris watton said:

1 hour ago, glbarlow said:

MSW is not free to run. I’d encourage everyone to click on the donations tab on the upper right of the home page a periodically make a contribution to keep the site we all love up and running with the latest technology.  

Thank you admins!

👍 

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren