CA glue and metal fittings

Pardon me if this has been discussed before but quick question. The CA glue I have doesn't work with metal on wood. I'm guessing this is because the wood absorbs the CA and the metal loosens from the connection? Example is oar locks, they seem to keep popping out regardless of the amount of CA I used. This also happened with the rope walk I built. Should I use model cement or wood glue? Thanks.

Casey

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

No I just used the medium CA. I will try the gel. Thanks!

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

There are two types of CA glues (IMHO): the "regular" very thin instant-drying;   and the thicker types that can span small gaps better than the regular CA,  AND these glues do NOT bond instantly but are "accelerated" by a spray-on product.  The thicker types are the ones I use and I love them!  They bond to just about anything, are not "messy" if used with care, and they can be adjusted for a final positioning before "setting" with that spray. They can be found in model aircraft hobby shops.

One thing I do for metal to 'other' joining is use 2 part slow cure epoxy but as well I also try to 'roughen' the surface of the metal part which will contact the glue - sand or file to give the surface more 'tooth' for the glue to hold onto.

Kats aka Sailcat

'Obsessive' is just another way of saying 'Dedicated.

Completed Build Log:  Dame Tisane (1/96 Revell Cutty Sark re-imagined)  

• 2 months later...

Not sure about the "contact cement" but I do know the 2 part epoxy is the better choice in my option. You need to make sure it is mix real good and you should try and rough the surface. But like I said this is my option, everyone has there special choice and what works for others doesn't always work for you. You should test before using, that would be the best way to find what your looking for.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

I used this stuff extensively while gluing the metal figures to the wooden parts in my Vasa. This thing performs brilliantly for that job.

I am not sure how it's called in other countries. Here it's called "Repair Extreme" and is a thick paste-like substance that adheres dissimilar materials, and the excess, if you let it dry a small amount of time, can be withdraw with tweezers like rubber. I just love this stuff.

post-975-0-20057100-1384297707.jpg

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I grabbed some slower drying CA that is thicker and it works great.  Seems I was using the ultra fast water type, lesson learned for me!!

Casey

Current Builds:  

Finished Builds: 

Future Builds:        

• Mamoli Golden Hind
  • Mamoli Black Prince
  • AL Swift

The thin CA  does absorb quickly into the wood, sometimes not leaving any glue to bond anything. If the wood has been sealed, I use thin CA. If not, then I use thick CA. This is when I am too lazy to mix up epoxy, which is much better. Model cement wouldn't work because it is designed to melt the plastic joins together. Wood glue, as with model cement, won't have any effect on metal parts. Make sure that you metal is completely clean. There will be oils on it, not only from the machining process but your fingers as well, that will effect glues.

Ron W.

Ron W.

• 3 months later...

When using the two part epoxies, how small a quantity can be mixed? My experience with epoxies is that they come in pretty large size containers and extracting the minute quantity needed to be mixed, of each part, would be rather difficult. Mixing more than needed would waste a lot of expensive stuff.

When using 2 part epoxy I will generally try to mix up just enough to do the job.  Usually just a few dabs of each If there is a little to much so be it.  You have to play around a little to learn how much you are going to need at any one moment.

David B

That makes sense and it would work well to not waste it.  I'm probably harking back to when I was mixing up batches of resin and catalyst for surfboard repairs and the two ingredients weren't mixed in anything like a true proportion.  You had to judge and experience how much catalyst to put in or the stuff would burn up (which was sometimes fun to do deliberately -- when you're seventeen).  With the epoxies I'm guessing its strictly one to one so a little dab of one and the same dab of the other and you got a good mix.

Noticed the question about contact cement, yes it would probably work well if the metal was roughed up and clean. Your metal part would remain just where you first placed it if you followed the instructions to the letter. I use contact cement a lot with leather, but don't quite always follow the directions, sometimes I make contact between the pieces a little early so I have the opportunity to move the piece around a bit if needed, If I can trim, then I let both pieces dry before making contact between  the two and then whack it a few times with a wooden hammer, makes a good strong flexible joint that is often stitched and sometimes riveted. Like the pinning advice mentioned above.

jud

I like epoxy myself. Mostly due to its far superior shear stregnth when compared to ca glue. I would hate to see some wood to metal bond in some later inaccessible area to be hit by an errant tool and be instantly unretrievable, not to mention impossible , to reinstall.

I saw on another forum that epoxy, when the two parts are still separate, cleans easily with rubbing alcohol. When the two parts are mixed and still not hardened, they clean up with white vinegar. Have not tested this myself so if anyone is willing to try this with their next venture of epoxy use, let us know.

You can buy small syringes, in some places, without a prescription (like insulin syringes) that could be used to draw up small amounts of the two parts for making epoxy, using separate syringes of course. Then wash out the syringes with rubbing alcohol.

Model(s) under construction: RATTLESNAKE. 1:48

Next on the launch : ECHO 1781 1:48

No-one has mentioned the use of PVA or carpenters glue.  Is that cause it is no good for metal to wood?

Quite right.  It won't hold to metal very well if at all. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

No-one has mentioned the use of PVA or carpenters glue.  Is that cause it is no good for metal to wood?

Exactly!

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

That's interesting because on my Badger, I used Gorilla glue, which is a type of PVA, to glue some metal parts to wood with no problem.  These were mostly smaller pieces though, and I'm not sure if they would work on larger/heavier pieces.  Personally, I can't stand CA, but it's probably just user error.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thank you.  I was going to use it to glue in my brass hawse pipes.  I will go get some CA gel or epoxy instead.  I'll need it anyway for lots of other ornaments.  I have what is called "gap filling" CA, but its still pretty runny, and dries in 5-15 seconds.  Is this the gel or is there stuff that is actually called CA Gel?

As long as I have someone on the line, and speaking of brass, maybe another quick question -- is there some household product that will "weather" those shiny new brass hawse pipes and make them look more like weathered bronze?  I'd like to do that before I glue them in.

My suggestion is go with epoxy, and get this stuff for blackening brass.

http://www.swannysmodels.com/Blackenit.html

Hope this helps.

Edited by Ulises Victoria

I totally agree with Ulises, this cement "Repara Extreme" (from Henkel, Germany) is outstanding in gluing diferent materials. I use it mainly to glue wood with metal. Additionally is waterproof and flexible

Saludos

Repara is absolutely fabulous for bonding the odd copper plate that refuses to stay in place with CA

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

One more vote against PVA for bonding metal.

Elmer's just came out with a 'New Product' called Probond Advanced. It is touted to bond almost anything to anything but even the MSDS gives no clue what it actually is. All they tell you is 'not available'.

I bought some and bonded wood to wood. It was no better than Titebond II. Besides, the price for a 2 ounce jar was more than the 8 ounce Titebond.

Then I bonded two pieces of aluminum with a 3/4 x 3/4 inch overlap. I followed the instructions (sanded the two surfaces, clamped them and let it cure for 24 hours). When I grabbed the two, the bar fell right off in my hand.

post-246-0-15238600-1396709288_thumb.jpg

Epoxy is the way to go for metals.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .