G'day from Australia - MangoFox

MangoFox

Hi all, 

I recently bought the HMS Lady Nelson kit from Amati/Victory models. I'm a sparky by trade so haven't done much woodwork, especially precise delicate work. Basically everything is a learning curve for me at the moment.  

I started a build log to ask questions and track my progress. I'd really apricate any comments of advice, links/directions to other useful threads/logs, things to watch out for, anything you think I might be able to learn from, wish you had known or would be valuable information for me. Searching my username is probably the best way to find the log.

I'm currently considering buying an airbrushing kit for painting. I don't know a great deal about airbrushing (and I'm not exactly the best painter) so advice in this area would also be very valuable.

I would also like to hear from some members about what some good second models to consider in the future might be. 

Cheers,

MangoFox. 

Mango, welcome to MSW. Glad to have you aboard. 

Edited by Keith Black

Welcome! 😃

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

Huge welcome to MSW Mango!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Welcome aboard!

Cutters make excellent first kits, and many kit manufacturers offer one. You can use our search feature to find these at MSW to get lots of visual hints. Besides Lady Nelson, look for Alert (Vanguard Models), Sherbourne (Caldercraft), Hunter (Mamoli), and Le Cerf (Dusek). As for second kits, assuming you complete Lady Nelson you will have acquired the skills needed to tackle a wide variety of available kits. You could shoot for something a step up in complexity, such as an armed schooner or brig. Mainly you'll need to watch out for something that will keep you engaged during a lengthy building process.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

:sign:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60, Viking Ship Drakkar-1:50

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Welcome aboard Mango.  I have to agree with Chris on his advice regarding a second build selection.  Build what you want to build for what ever reason you want to build it.  It's definitely a bonus if you have an interest in the ship as it helps you thru the difficulties you face during the build.  Selecting a ship that has new and/or different features will surely increase your skill set and probably help you determine what your 3rd build will be.  Remember that you've got thousands of builders who you can lean on for help, guidance and support during your build.  All you have to do is ask, the only dumb/silly question is the one you don't ask.  I've found that posting a question in the appropriate section will get you a quicker answer/response than posting within your build log, since more people will see it there than those who might follow your build log.  Take your time, be patient and enjoy the voyage of your first build.  

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

Greetings Mango, and welcome to MSW!  I will be watching your build log with interest.  Have fun and keep posting!

Welcome aboard!

Brad/NavyShooter

Pending Launch: RMS Titanic - 1/100 - 3D Print - Pond Float display

Build Log:   HMCS Bonaventure- 1/96 - A Fitting Out

Completed Build:  HMCS St Thomas - 1/48 - 3D printed Bens Worx

Completed Build:  3D Printed Liberty Ship - 1/96 - RC

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

Welcome aboard Fox. Feel free to look at my Lady Nelson build and ask all the questions you want. I did, that’s how you learn and grow in the hobby. 👍😀

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

:piratebo5:Mango, welcome to MSW. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Welcome to MSW, MangoFox.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

19 hours ago, Dave_E said:

Welcome aboard Fox. Feel free to look at my Lady Nelson build and ask all the questions you want. I did, that’s how you learn and grow in the hobby. 👍😀

Cheers Dave, 

I have been reading through your log, I'm a bout halfway through it at the moment. Its a great log of the process from start to end with a fantastic result. Particularly inspired by your to scale deck pattern, that brought a tonne of life to the model.  I'm sure I'll end up firing off a few questions in your direction. 

Cheers,

Mango.

23 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Welcome aboard!

Cutters make excellent first kits, and many kit manufacturers offer one. You can use our search feature to find these at MSW to get lots of visual hints. Besides Lady Nelson, look for Alert (Vanguard Models), Sherbourne (Caldercraft), Hunter (Mamoli), and Le Cerf (Dusek). As for second kits, assuming you complete Lady Nelson you will have acquired the skills needed to tackle a wide variety of available kits. You could shoot for something a step up in complexity, such as an armed schooner or brig. Mainly you'll need to watch out for something that will keep you engaged during a lengthy building process.

Cheers!

Cheers Chris,

Good shout on checking out other cutters for references, thanks for naming some for me. I'll be sure to have a look at some of the logs for them. I almost chose the Alert from Vanguard Models as my first build, however I ended up finding a starter kit with the Lady Nelson that came with a few must have tools, MSY guide and obviously the model for below the price of just the Alert.  Was very tempted by the Alert though. Once I complete the Lady I'll probably end up getting it just to scratch the itch, but it would be nice to have some other style of ships to consider between the two. 

Cheers,

Mango.