Mayflower by tj456 - 1/19 scale

23 hours ago, tj456 said:

Here's the starboard side planked.  The 2nd iteration of spackle is drying.   The spackle hides my worst errors and when sanded properly still allows the planking lines to show like a real ship.  

20221204_191424.jpg

Final spackle and sanding. Painters tape removed and  gun port locations roughed in.

20221205_191809.jpg

On 12/4/2022 at 7:21 PM, tj456 said:

Here's the starboard side planked.  The 2nd iteration of spackle is drying.   The spackle hides my worst errors and when sanded properly still allows the planking lines to show like a real ship.  

20221204_191424.jpg

Final spackle and sanding. Painters tape removed and  gun port locations roughed in.

Starboard side done.

20221208_184948.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice work.but some advise.
your dead eyes are too high above the channels

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

6 hours ago, Baker said:

your dead eyes are too high above the channels

About when did the deadeyes go from triangular in shape to round?   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

2 hours ago, tj456 said:

Too high above the channel?  Please explain.  Also every ship I've seen has round or oval deadeyes.  The ones on the Constitution in Boston are almost round and the size of a person's head. 

image.png.2ce60868d23f97cae074ba62557b9782.png

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

2 hours ago, allanyed said:

About when did the deadeyes go from triangular in shape to round?   

Allan

do not know.
I think the era of this ship is a transition period.
from triangular to round

Regards, Patrick

5 hours ago, tj456 said:

The ones on the Constitution in Boston are almost round and the size of a person's head

Such a huge model is a marvel to me and such a great opportunity for detailing.  Congrats on taking up the challenge!

Regarding your comment on the Constitution, normally it is a not usually a good idea to use a ship of one nation  from 1600 as prototypical to one from another nation from 1800 without researching each item first.   The differences are vast.  Just as the shape of the hull and the scantlings changed continually,  the rigging styles and items changed in size, shape and methods of belaying changed continually as well.  For example, we often we see modern ship models with belaying pins when there should be few or none at all for that type and era of ship.   If you have a chance to study David Lee's book on rigging, you will see that he shows many changes of rigging from 1625 to 1860 for British ships alone.   R.C. Anderson's on rigging book would also be useful as it is mainly for the 17th century.

Regarding the shroud rigging, the lower deadeyes sat differently on the channels.  The support that ran from the deadeye down to the hull  was flat iron until about 1720 when two or three long links plus a strap came into use.  I do not recall ever seeing small linked chain like in the photo in post #7 above but perhaps someone else has.  Slots in the outer edges of the channels on British ships was not introduced until 1771.  Prior to that, there were square holes in the channels set back from the edge.   There are photos of models including those of the Mayflower and the Prince Royal (1610) at Royal Museum Greenwich Collections website that you might find helpful even though they are not contemporary built. https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

3 hours ago, Alex-Ks1 said:

what a dummy I am, this was to be in MY LOG    LOLOLOL. sorry for the screw up. 

No worries.   Seeing that you added them to your log, I deleted your posts here.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm experimenting with different ways to make deadeyes.  On the left is one using thick rope bound with thin rope.  Next over I put used an 18 gauge wire for going around the deadeye and thin rope to bind the thick rope to the assembly.  The 2 in the clamps  I drilled a hole to mount the 18 gauge wire and used the thick rope to go around the deadeye and bound everything together with the thin rope.  I think this is the option I'll use.  It seems to be the easiest to build and looks pretty good too.20230312_192553.thumb.jpg.a22ad2b388606eb89da6535680571b1f.jpg

The ship is coming along great, but those trains are a real distraction! I wonder if I could talk my wife into giving up a 4X8 corner of our downstairs family area. 🧐 😆

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

• 2 weeks later...