Commerce de Marseille by Michele Padoan - 1/72 scale

Good morning, this is one of my three active construction sites that I am working on. It will not be a copy of the Orient I have already built in 1/48 scale, as here I will try to leave every possible detail visible.  
I start with the first pictures of the axial carpentry.

IMG_4598.JPG

IMG_4601.JPG

IMG_4606.JPG

IMG_4621.JPG

IMG_4627.JPG

IMG_4637.JPG

IMG_4652.JPG

IMG_4663.JPG

IMG_4680.JPG

IMG_4683.JPG

IMG_4686.JPG

Stunning workmanship Michele!   Your attention to detail is unwavering and to be commended.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I am sorry if I missed an earlier post, but I would like to know a bit more about your carving as it is so beautiful. Are you marking your pieces, with ink, marker pen, or something else?   Are you carving the bone with burrs or chisels or something else?  Last, what type of adhesive do you use for the bone on wood?

Thanks Michele, your log is a pleasure for all of us to follow.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

On 8/9/2022 at 12:49, allanyed said:

Scusa se mi ero perso un post precedente, ma vorrei sapere qualcosa in più sul tuo intaglio perché è così bello. Stai segnando i tuoi pezzi, con inchiostro, pennarello o qualcos'altro? Stai intagliando l'osso con frese o scalpelli o qualcos'altro? Infine, che tipo di adesivo usi per l'osso su legno?

Grazie Michele, il tuo log è un piacere per tutti noi seguirlo.

Allan

Hi, sorry you that I only just read your question.
For the Commerce de Marseille, I chose to make all the carvings in bovine bone as an alternative to boxwood, drawing on the old arsenal models exhibited at museums where ivory and sometimes bone were precisely used for white-painted decoration at that time ( late 18th century/early 19th century).
The carving is done with cutters and I must say that they work very well. Because it is harder than boxwood, you can create small details with less risk of breakage.. It can also be worked with mini files for small details, whereas for gouges I find it too hard.
The only drawback is that it is white and therefore very light and you can't distinguish well, as in wood, the details you are carving as you work. With a little practice, though, you get used to it afterwards. The time to make a carving is also longer, but the results are great. Then there is also to say that only small bone cuts are commercially available. In this 1/72 scale it is possible for me to make all the decorations, which I could not do in a larger scale.
Instead, to cut thin pieces such as frisate I use fretwork. While with boxwood I start with a thicker board and once cut I bring it to the desired thickness using the mini grinder being very but very careful. With bone, the plates I used are 8/10 of a mm thick and it would have been impossible to cut them without breaking them. In this case I glued a wooden board underneath ( if you look at the third and fifth photos you can see it), which I removed at the end of the job.
What can I say, I find it great in some respects. With that natural, warm color it gives the model a unique visual impact, certainly a material to consider for certain cases.

IMG_4333.JPG

IMG_4352.JPG

IMG_4353.JPG

IMG_4354.JPG

IMG_3450.JPG

IMG_3465.JPG

IMG_3499.JPG

IMG_3503.JPG

Good evening, regarding the artillery of the Commerce de Marseille, only the starboard side will have cannons deployed. Only one full 36-lb cannon on the first deck, the other 15 just the shafts. Seventeen 24-lb guns on the second deck, 17 12-lb guns on the bridge deck, and 9 8-lb guns on the castle and quarterdeck.

IMG_4218.JPG

IMG_4219.JPG

IMG_4226.JPG

IMG_4227.JPG

IMG_4230.JPG

IMG_4233.JPG

IMG_4236.JPG

IMG_4237.JPG

IMG_4239.JPG

IMG_4241.JPG

IMG_4243.JPG

IMG_4244.JPG