Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi Michael,

You really know which details can show the ship more beautiful, more realistic... You don't use knots even at this scale but sub-wrapping (correct word?!)...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Frank, Edwin, Ferit,

Thanks for your kind remarks. Always encouraging.

Frank you folks need to get warmed up. Geezz what a winter this has been on the east coast of N America (:-(

Has BC suffered less on "our side" of the continent? 

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Ferit,

Thanks for your nice remark, by-the-way many of us miss your work?? Your build log has been missing updates for a long time. I learned a lot from you when you started your log on MSW part 2. 

MIchael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Michael,

Your humility and gentility as always. Thank you.

Three months ago we finally moved in an apartment having three rooms of which I arranged the small one for my hobbies.

For now, at every time I enter the room, Berlin and me, we look to each other... :-)

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

• 4 weeks later...

Lawrence,

Thanks for all of the latest Like clicks very nice of you to spend some time with my build.

Cheers

MIchael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

• 1 month later...

Hi Mates,

Finished up the hull cannon doors and installed them. Here are some updated pics.

Regards,

MIchael

post-735-0-37119600-1429674342_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-67371300-1429674350_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-43194400-1429674359_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-36049300-1429674368_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-66924800-1429674375_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-80737300-1429674383_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-18805400-1429674392_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-36474900-1429674399_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-69131100-1429674407_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-99860600-1429674548_thumb.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Michael !!

A beautiful work from stem to stern !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

I guess I have to repeat myself...... This is one GREAT!!! looking build..... Nice work Michael!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Mates

Oh My - thanks for all of those such kind and supportive comments as well as the likes-very nice, and much indeed appreciated.

Frank M, I will now move onto the weather deck and rebuild all the knightheads and add pulleys, clean up the 14 cannon carriage ropes, build the last two poop deck cannon carriages. Then onto the masts (:-) I think?

Cheers,

MIchael

post-735-0-12433000-1430156510_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-01300400-1430156519_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-40598700-1430156527_thumb.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael,

I really love your Wasa. You succeeded to get it more and more realistic, crowded with all this canons, wonderful!

bye Joachim

My new Book in ENGLISH and GERMAN available:

"The colour blue in historic shipbuilding"

http://www.modellbau-muellerschoen.de/buch-en.htm

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History:

http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

FYI-Another ongoing issue with the Corel kit, for those of you whom might read this, and are considering, which of the two kits to purchase, Billings being the other one, I noticed the following;

----------------------------------------------

After installing the most forward upper gun deck cannon lids that the two most forward warriors would have to be mounted much higher than they should be. This is because Corel’s kit does not allow enough space between the cannon opening and the bowsprit side railing structures.

Even with foresight of this issue, if the two side structures were moved forward then they would not line up correctly at the beam with the lower central keel-framing bit. The Lion would have to hang on by its fore-paw claws (:-) And the weather deck would extend out too far forward adding an overhang lip.

Also the most forward lower gun deck cannon port is an addition that I included for this build. These two are not part of the Corel kit instructions. Having added them, the lids had to remain closed as well. I include comparison pics FYI.

Cheers,

Michael

post-735-0-02966200-1430850141_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-00251800-1430850151_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-52770600-1430850160_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-21974800-1430850171_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-87385900-1430850182_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-57266000-1430850194_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-28417800-1430850205_thumb.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

It sure is a beautiful job you're doing on her Michael, and if it was me, with this model, I'd have a really tough time parting with it. I think I'd dedicate one whole corner in my living room for her to be displayed, ---and shown off!  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Yes, unfortunately Corel has the weather deck too short. To make it correct means extending it.

The deck and hull are also considerably too narrow at the foremast.

The foremast is also in the wrong place, it needs to move forwards, and the main mast needs to move aft.

Unfortunately, they have made a bad job of the whole hull, which I don't understand why.

When the lines exist for a ship, why all these differences?

The hull is also too narrow and tall in general, as if they wanted to exaggerate a design fault.

This is what I did:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~jenssen/index2.html

I cannot understand why Corel don't change their kits. Through new technologic facilities, it's so easy and so quick to product much more accurate kits with all these feedbacks...

Edited by AlphaUrsaeMinoris

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Peter,

Very nice work reshaping the hull, as well as the bowsprit area, and the weather deck; thanks for sharing. The stern, of course, had to remain too narrow in order to accommodate the gilded pieces?

For my part I stuck an extra set of required soldiers near the stern windows in order to have the correct number. Corel only supplies two instead of four.

I also tore out and rebuilt the entire stern section, as noted in previous log postings because the Corel was so inaccurate. Here are a few pics from the original kit shape, my repair, and my completed effort.

This kit, for those who are interested in better accuracy is sadly a "looser".  Many of us certainly did not know of so many inaccuracies until we started reading all of the rants from builders, and looking at museum plans and pics, as was the case for me.

Ferit, you are correct, one would think that after 30 years of sales Corel would update it. I do understand, according to Fred Hocker, the curator of the Vasa Museum, that several companies have approached him with interest in producing a very accurate kit.

On the plus side, now with so many fixes available, it could be one of those fun kits to "bash". AND not a single visitor to my home has ever seen Any Flaws (:-) ha ha 

Cheers,

Michael

post-735-0-28368600-1430932298_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-34491900-1430932311_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-05520700-1430932321_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-67202700-1430932330_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-02888500-1430932339_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Somehow, I did manage to install the gun port at the front, with enough space for the warrior between the gun port and the bowsprit side railing structure and with enough room to have the gun port open. However, if you look carefully, you could say that my gun ports do not align perfectly nearing the bowsection...

Before attaching the railing structure, I first dry-fitted the warrior to check for sufficient space. I needed to remove part of the Corel-supplied railing structure to have enough space there.

post-1291-0-00595100-1430939057_thumb.jpg

Completed:

Catalina from Mamoli (1/32)

European small river ship (scratch build) (1/50)

Currently building: Wasa from Corel (1/75)

Future: Titanic (Mantua), Batavia (Kolderstok), Friesland (Mamoli), Bismarck (Hachette), Prins Willem (Corel)

Andre,

Nice bit of foresight on your part. Nice work, as you know I have been following your build, always a pleasure seeing your progress. You have really resurrected a once very damaged kit.

I did not think of any of this until I started to realize that I wanted to improve on the weaknesses of this kit, by then several of the needed changes were too late to fix. The bowsprit spacing is one of these areas. I had already built and installed all details, only recently when I added the cannon doors did "the light" come on  grrrrr...Still having fun however.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael,

You're doing real well with a difficult task!
To me, it was all a bit disheartening (too much fixing of errors), but I'll be picking it up again soon!
Well done to fit the extra gun port at the front.

As you may have noticed, the problems with the Corel hull shape here are two; 
* The hull extends too far forward, over a centimetre too far
* The hull is too narrow.
This means the bow is not bluff enough, so the forward gunport ends up pointing in the wrong angle.
If you look at your attached museum pictures (bottom one in post 905), you can see that the three most forward gunports all point somewhat forwards.
It also means that in order for the beakhead to attach to the hull and still not need to be narrowed too much, the beahead sides will attach further aft, covering the place where the soldier sculpture should sit (as you noticed..)

I reshaped the stern according to the museum plans as well.
While the middle part was too narrow and required padding... 

SternBlock.JPG

...the top was actually too wide.

I will not be able to use many of the supplied figures, if any.

The supplied top crest is now too wide to fit for example (proper stern outline to the left):
SternShapes.JPG

The outline to right is not sloppily traced, this is the actual supplied Corel frame in my kit!
Rather ridiculous shape.. :-(

Cheers!

/Peter

Peter,

Thanks for your kind remarks. Yes those most forward hull guns were a big compromise. The odd overworked bit is that I also built false carriages, and then realised that I needed to pull out both cannons/carriages, and just close the doors gee wizz...

In regard to your last notations you are certainly very talented if you also intend on sculpting some of those needed bits at the stern. Way beyond my skills, nor anything that I would want to add work to in this already overly customised kit.

Had I been more knowledgeable when I bought this Corel years ago, I would have purchased the Billings and have a lot of extra fun adding details. Kit bashing can be fun, I have seen some amazing ones here at MSW, though the Corel Vasa would not be my choice for this kind of a project. The only negative with the Billings IMO is that all the sculptures are plastic, though very accurate.

PS: It would be nice if you considered joining us and posting a build log for your ship. 

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael,

I'm going to create a build log too. I was not in a hurry though, I do have another build log for rigging my old Cutty Sark model that I transported from Sweden to Australia (I took the masts down and took it as checked luggage! :-) )
This will probably take another couple of months, then I'll start working on my Vasa again.

As for the sculptures, Intentions does not necessarily mean talent unfortunately.
I'm going to cheat a bit. I have seen some really good wood carving on this site (and elsewhere), but I don't really feel confident doing that at this stage ( I did carve the Cutty Sark figurehead back when I was a teenager)

Instead I'm doing some experiments with polymer clay (Super Sculpey):
post-18701-0-89605700-1431037536_thumb.jpg

I made a master, and then a mould (inspired by the kid's Play Doh) -original is to the right of the mould.
Then I can churn out multiple copies of a sculpture, adjust it as I like, and then bake it into a hard plastic.

Cheers,

/Peter

Edited by Peter Jenssen

Hi Mates,

Started, again, working on the mizzen chainplate pulley sheaves. These pulleys were apparently used for the lower foremast sail. Here are some preliminary pics.

The photos are self-explanatory. This is the first time (novice) that I “really” use the Proxxon MX70 (including X & Y attachment) for a task for which it was better intended. Nice tool-super accurate, great addition to my shipyard. Using the routing drill bits for the first time as well.

PS:  Nigel - thanks for you previous advice on how to correctly use these bits, I know that you have been very busy of late..good luck

===============

Oops, just noticed, after again looking at the 1/1 photo that the housings have an outward overhang from the chainplates by a fair amount. (I used the 1:10th as a guide, hmmm wrong, no overhang on that model) So the two that I made would attach to the without any overhang.

Fix: added a strip of wood to the rear of each one and re-shaped the back edge so as to gain that overhang. Bit of a diff. wood, but that will visually disappear once installed. The overhang is not as pronounced as in the 1/1, but I’m satisfied.

At least this time I caught the error before installing. Hmmm is that a good sign?? Ha ah…

Then made pulleys, as some of you know this is where I cheat. I’ve tried making real pulleys with my Proxxon Lathe, but just can’t seem to get that task right. So deadeyes to the rescue, a bit of sanding using a rotary tool, results in a “pulley”. Then a bit of sanding on the resulting sharp edges and Voila a pulley.

I now need to add proper looking mounting nails, as well as the pulley shaft, then glue both into place. I’ll post a couple of pics when it’s all done.

Again, thanks for looking in, and thank you so much to the kind mates that follow along, give advice, click like, and post way too nice of messages J

Cheers

Michael

post-735-0-07546200-1431188205_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-15072200-1431188213_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-98601700-1431188220_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-20356000-1431188232_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-09556600-1431188240_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-97818300-1431188250_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-43916800-1431188258_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-30891400-1431188266_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-25149700-1431188277_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-76987300-1431188285_thumb.jpg