Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Those blocks look great Michael B) If I may make one small suggestion.You could counterbore the hole where the knot sits,this would allow it to sit down a little in the cathead.I know not historically accurate and it is obvious you have got the knot as tight as possible for the rope size,just thought it would make the knot less obtrusive.Just an idea and I know it would mean re-rigging the blocks :huh:

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Looks great Michael,

This is a Scratch Build Log...

Sorry :blush: but I think that the situation should be like the second instead of the first as you had done. :P

post-2145-0-91250100-1410675921_thumb.png

Edited by AlphaUrsaeMinoris

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Those blocks look great Michael B) If I may make one small suggestion.You could counterbore the hole where the knot sits,this would allow it to sit down a little in the cathead.I know not historically accurate and it is obvious you have got the knot as tight as possible for the rope size,just thought it would make the knot less obtrusive.Just an idea and I know it would mean re-rigging the blocks :huh:

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel,

Thanks so much, again, for suggesting an idea for improving the look of my build. Your advice is always SO welcome. You are so kind to post your thoughts. I will, of course, follow through. Brilliant idea. (:-) I so appreciated. Your earlier advice regarding the carriage wheels, as you may have noted I "re-did" all of the axles. Much improved (:-) (:-)

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Looks great Michael,

This is a Scratch Build Log...

Sorry :blush: but I think that the situation sould be like the second instead of the first as you had done.  :P

Ferit,

Thanks so much. This was a big error, and you are so kind to allow me to know of this. I so appreciate your post and pic. I have fixed this, as well as following Nigel's suggestion regarding the knots. I will post some updated pics along with the new kevels that I have just installed for the anchor catheads. Again thanks so much for your help (:-)

PS: Your Berlin ???? So many of us so love your work.

Regards,

Michael

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

As Nigel said, my pleasure.

All of us sometimes focus our attention on main affair and can skip a nuance. :)

And it's a pleasure to see obviously your enthusiasm and happiness are growing by overcoming upward details...

I respect your care and ability. Really stunning improvement Michael.

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Nice job on the Cat blocks Michael, and the Foc'sle looks amazing.

B.E.

B.E,

Thanks so much for your post, coming from someone with your skills its a royal compliment. I'm very thankful (:-)

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

A big pat on the back for you! I love the decorative statues all painted up. And nice work on your gun carriages.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Mark,

Hello Michael

I see my kit comes with 4 small turrets & 2 large ones.The plans show the large ones placed at the front of the lower gallery.Wouldn`t you think they would go at the rear?

/Mark

Noted. Yes another Corel error to add to their list. I realized this as I was building the turrets. The lower galleries should have two same size large turrets. The only small ones are on the upper galleries.

I sent Corel an email requesting two large turrets. Their CS is very nice. They have sent me several parts to date. You will need, of course, to make your request “legit” I did note from where I had purchased the kit, and that they would not supply missing parts.

Be sure to add a jpg of the part(s) you need from their build sheet, along with the part, and their kit “S” number. Note the museum pic and my "fix”.

Their email is info@corel-srl.it

Please feel free to post or PM any questions that you have as you go along (:-)

At least your Corel is in its early stages. Armed with your excellent level of knowledge about this ship your alterations will fall into place nicely. Mine was quite a way along before I learned of my many mistakes (:-) Again, I'm very happy to help

PS: I think that I also asked for a few extra large size decorative figures.

Cheers,

Michael

post-735-0-30617600-1410835719_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-03317500-1410835789_thumb.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Thanks for the info.I have been studying the few pictures there are of a side view of the galleries as a whole. Maybe it`s the camera angle,but if you look closely at  the first picture of your last post the front one does look a little larger. I am going to ask about those towers on the Vasa forum just to be sure.Thanks again!

/Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Nigel and Ferit,

Thanks so very much for your advice. I have made the subtle, but very noticeable change to the knots by counter-sinking the holes. I have also changed how the blocks were laced.

Lastly I added the small details of the metal bracings at the sides of the cathead pulley rods.

Cheers guys and (:-) for you

Michael

post-735-0-14310400-1410886172_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-34009900-1410886229_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

You are so kind Michael, your Wasa amazing and details superb... As I previously said, many topics ago, there is really something different and so attractive about your Wasa...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

That looks spot on Michael B) Like Ferit says,sometimes we can't see the wood for the trees when we get wrapped up making these details.Looking at your recent pics reminds me of the great amount of work you have put into your model and what a joy and privilege it has been to follow your journey.I look forward to continue following along with the rigging and masting :)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Mates,

Continuing with the bow anchor cathead details, now turning to their needed kevels.

It turns out that I had built and installed a second pair that was at one time attached to the quarter-deck, turns out that this was incorrect (see first two pics).

An early Vasa museum plans set (1980) showed two sets per side at that location, as did Landsröm. A second plan set dated 1981 had one set removed. I communicated with Fred Hocker, who indicated that the ’81 set had been corrected.

So the two kevels were just lying around, how convenient; shortened them for use at the bow railing, and just added a framing bit for attaching.

After gluing, then drilled small holes and inserted black fishing filament to simulate the needed nails.

The brilliant fishing line idea is not mine but belongs to one of our MSW members; apologetically I don’t remember whom (I did post a notation on his build log at the time of seeing his very clever idea)

Inserted the lines from the rear and left the front ends just a tad proud to simulate nail heads-sort of J

G-S cement is perfect for this task. If there were a bit of glue that travelled through the hole to the front end, after a few moments it can be removed with your thumb nail or tweezers, pulls completely off as would rubber cement. LOVE this glue! It has proved to be so versatile. Ferit thank you Again!! You found this.

Hint: I attempted to just “hack of" the front tips of the black filament to adjust them, but the blade snagged them and some resulted in angled cuts. Solution was to actually use the razor blade as a slicer moving the blade as I cut. Worked very nicely allowing for a nice clean flat cut. PS: Exacto type blade not up to the task.

--------------------

Thanks for your “likes”, dropping in for a look, as well as the very welcome supportive suggestions and comments J

Regards, as always

Michael

post-735-0-31253200-1410965950_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-45923600-1410965958_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-72877800-1410965968_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-00677700-1410965977_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-37983500-1410965983_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-15624300-1410965990_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-09754000-1410965997_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-29186300-1410966004_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-75985500-1410966010_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-59188200-1410966016_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-50174400-1410966024_thumb.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I've said this before, but I'll say it again... this is one beautiful build!!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Frank M and Frank (riverboat),

Thanks for your nice comments, helps to keep the energy flowing (:-)

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hello Michael

I got an answer from Fred at the museum about the sizes of the towers. They are different sizes - the front one is 2.12 meters in diameter & the rear one is 1.5 so I will stay with the parts that the kit came with :). Sorry about the bad news.I still think yours is really nice & would not change it.After all,no one will know but you & me,right? ;)

regards,Mark

Mark,

Thanks for the info. That, it seems to me, will make it even harder for the smaller rear towers to rise up enough to overlap the lower parts of the upper galleries as we have been discussing. It will be interesting to see how you figure that one out, allowing enough room for the standing stern guards.

PS: Fred has also just sent me a post indicating that the quarterdeck pinrails should not be there. “The museum got it wrong”, he said. You can check that out at the Vasa specific site, at my build postings. So, I just removed mine, and it left scars grrrrrrrrrr. He also discusses what should be there instead.

PS: No I am not rebuilding my towers.

This will be an ongoing problem with this ship as new data are turned up and subsequent changes to our builds are needed.

Enough already (:-) I'm just going to move forward from now on. My log is already SO filled with "going backwards” tearing out and making fixes. I'm now done with that. And as you said maybe six members here out of the more than ten thousand would even know the differences, and errors........

As Fred had mentioned last year there is some interest for a new kit that may be in its development stages. One that is 100% based on Vasa’s 1/1 current info inclusive of 3D/cad computer renderings. I say current info because the way this ship is "changing" I can just imagine after this kit "is released???" the museum will find more areas where they got it wrong.

Just going to have fun moving forward, not sideways, and definitely not backwards anymore. Pulling out those two pinrails that left scars is the last change for me.

I will however absolutely highly regard member’s suggestions for how to get this right in regard to nautical accuracy. Nigel, B.E, Ferit as well as some kind other members have been so gracious in offering their guidance as I move along.

Big thanks to the nice people, who click, or post comments. I need this project to be fun, not an exercise in frustration J

Sorry for the long post, but I needed to vent as well

PS: I do very much believe, however, that seeking the most accurate build possible is a wonderful goal that I wholeheartedly support. I'm only writing for myself here, certainly out of frustration. And Corel's is the furthest from what should be Oh well..

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-69833600-1411057577_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-76415400-1411057591_thumb.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael,

I understand your frustrations with this. That being said, what you have created here is just so amazingly stunning that it stands on its own for the work of art that it is. Hang in there!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Thank you Michael :)

Like Buck,I can appreciate the frustration that this build has caused in the past.However I think you can draw from the experience in that you have learned that you enjoy another pastime.That of historical research.It isn't every builders 'cup of tea' but it can be as enjoyable as the build itself if you are that way inclined.

Besides your next project you have stashed ;) ,the only advise I could offer looking into the future is to seriously consider scratchbuilding.I think this way you can enjoy the research and start from a blank sheet of paper with having to redo someone's inaccurate kit design.You certainly shouldn't have any reservations about your ability,I am confident you would excel with whatever vessel took your fancy.

Enough waffle from me :D  :D I look forward to seeing more updates of your Wasa

Kind Regards

Nigel

I understand your frustration - I was at the same point in my previous build. I also removed those pin rails on mine. I am only going to move forward on my current build & not back track - if I happen to get something wrong then so be it :). If I wanted it perfect then I would do something like hand carve all the figures :o.At this scale that would be nearly impossible.

/Mark

Michael,

When I built mine seemingly eons ago, info was coming out hot and heavy.  For example, the color info came out just after I painted.  What I'm saying is to tell yourself, "ok.. there's new info but enough is enough, I'm building it now."  and get on with it.  With this ship in particular, the info will be changing for many years to come and if you wait, it will never get built.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Michael, you know,.... the more I read about some of these old ships the more I find out no ones for sure about anything. As far as your build

goes , your choice of different color woods and the subtle colors you used to paint with and of course your amazing skills of putting this all together, puts this build above and beyond. This is one fine looking Wasa !!! Keep up the good work, it's appreciated by everyone here at MSW.

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Michael,

I understand your frustrations with this. That being said, what you have created here is just so amazingly stunning that it stands on its own for the work of art that it is. Hang in there!

Buck,

Hmmm thanks so much, blush blush your comments are sooooo inspiring. Thank you so much for taking the time to follow this build, as well as sharing your super kind remarks.

PS: Love your avatar..

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Thank you Michael :)

Like Buck,I can appreciate the frustration that this build has caused in the past.However I think you can draw from the experience in that you have learned that you enjoy another pastime.That of historical research.It isn't every builders 'cup of tea' but it can be as enjoyable as the build itself if you are that way inclined.

Besides your next project you have stashed ;) ,the only advise I could offer looking into the future is to seriously consider scratchbuilding.I think this way you can enjoy the research and start from a blank sheet of paper with having to redo someone's inaccurate kit design.You certainly shouldn't have any reservations about your ability,I am confident you would excel with whatever vessel took your fancy.

Enough waffle from me :D  :D I look forward to seeing more updates of your Wasa

Kind Regards

Nigel

Nigel,

I appreciate your thoughts, yes the research bit certainly makes things more interesting. Even along with all of those inherent resulting frustrations it creates The learning bit is inspiring I enjoy this very much. Translating it into a kit build is the conundrum. (:-)

Though the research part sort of allows me to share in the thoughts from past lives, and how those people created to the best of their abilities. A nice facet of this hobby.

Scratch-building is a huge leap up (for me) . And certainly makes research the leading edge of a project, one that becomes very absorbing as well. Thanks for your confidence in my potential abilities. Presently I don't have that level of comfort. Your RW, for example is breathtaking---I'm not even on the same planet as you (:-) Though my next project will, just after opening the box, benefit from all that I have learned here at MSW from so many artists. Nigel you have always been so kind with your thoughtful comments, a heartfelt THANKS...

I am putting my current frustrations on the back burner and will continue with this Vasa, a build that, accuracy frustrations aside, am really enjoying. Again thank so much for being a kind follower, your esteemed mate....

Michael

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -