Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

I understand your frustration - I was at the same point in my previous build. I also removed those pin rails on mine. I am only going to move forward on my current build & not back track - if I happen to get something wrong then so be it :). If I wanted it perfect then I would do something like hand carve all the figures :o.At this scale that would be nearly impossible.

/Mark

Mark,

Good points. I'm now in that camp as well. Done with the "what ifs".....It's now time just for the forward moving building part, research for its own sake (on this ship) , and the growing skills part.

PS: Oh and we would have had to also cast several diff, size cannons (:-)  

MIchael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Michael,

When I built mine seemingly eons ago, info was coming out hot and heavy.  For example, the color info came out just after I painted.  What I'm saying is to tell yourself, "ok.. there's new info but enough is enough, I'm building it now."  and get on with it.  With this ship in particular, the info will be changing for many years to come and if you wait, it will never get built.

Mark,

Yes I've now just joined that choir (:-)  It's now much more "peaceful" Thanks for posting, much appreciated. You are right this ship will constantly evolve.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I've said this before, but I'll say it again... this is one beautiful build!!

Frank

Frank,

You are also always SO kind. Thank You so very much for your posts.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I'm quite agree with Nigel.

And you have already begun semi-scratch building.

I'm sure that you are sure of your abilities to overcome scratch building.

The issue is the time, the patience and the endurance for you.

The scratch wants much more time...

And it's important to be able to enjoy all the journey as well as to reach the destination... :)

Edited by AlphaUrsaeMinoris

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Your build is beautiful; don't worry about inaccuracies after the fact.  I am in the middle of painting sculptures and I finally had to stop going back over them as I discovered more details.  "Wait, there are subtle gold highlights on the warriors' kilts..."  If the museum eventually releases the perfect kit, with 3D printed sculptures from scans of the real thing, then we can all buy it and start another build.  Meantime, we do the best we can.

mar3kl,

Thanks. I very much appreciate your support. Yes your points are all well taken and those of us who are building this ship would be more relaxed if we did not 'Fret" so much. Yes a 3D printed sculptures of this ship in a new and correct kit would be SO awesome. Certainly many of us would order and start all over again. It is such an amazing example of a 16th century ship, that to have it resurrected in Stockholm is a wonder to our times. I did have the fortune in the mid 90's to spend a day at the Vasamuseet (:-)

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael,

My avatar is our dog, Buster, and he is a lovable little guy.

I think the consensus is that your artistry trumps any deviations in accuracy. You had me hooked with the scarf jointed planks and 3 sizes of nails back on page 1!

Edited by Salty Sea Dog

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Outsanding job. Every time I come to visit I see something new that inspires me!

Excellent job, my friend!

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Ulises,

Thanks, very nice of you I'm happy that my build is to your liking. Speaking of inspirations, I will certainly go back to your Vasa rigging posts to help me out when I get there.

Muchas Gracias

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Edwin,

Your kind post is very nice. Thank You for the kind words. Very encouraging indeed. Thanks for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael,

after beeing back from my long summer holiday it really took a long time to read through lots of pages with wonderful pictures of your Wasa! I must repeat it again, an amazing and fantastic build and step by step I am learning more about the Wasa. I am looking forward to the next update.

Regards, Joachim

My new Book in ENGLISH and GERMAN available:

"The colour blue in historic shipbuilding"

http://www.modellbau-muellerschoen.de/buch-en.htm

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History:

http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Hi Mates,

Thanks so much for your supportive suggestions, comments, likes and just looking in, all are very much appreciated.

Continuing with the braces for the anchors; I focused on the single fish davit beam that was employed to help raise the anchor flutes towards the gunwales.  Only one beam was recovered indicative of the single beam being moved port to starboard as needed.

------------------

I used a sanding disk to thin out a piece of wood. Then tapered both upper edges, added grooves on its outer tip and inner ends as well.

Added the required ropes and blocks.

Drilled four holes in the weather deck to simulate the two rope attaching laces.

Knotted two pieces of rope together using a Carrick bend.  This knot was a guess (I’m good at that J)

Glued the two ropes and also added glue to the knot ends to simulate a natural relaxed looking resting appearance on the deck

The last three pics are for my next area, still repairing previous mistakes, and will be giving my Proxxon milling machine its first real user test for adding the grooves  into the knightheads - Hmmmm Let’s see how that goes.

---------------------------

YES I am sooo irritated at myself for not recessing the gun deck cannon framings. I had thought of it as I was inserting the four bits per opening but the lip seemed too thin AND my skills then were not as good as they are now.. Now its really too late for a retro fix.    Next time….

Always my regards,

Michael

post-735-0-99033700-1411754316_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-23843900-1411754329_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-08746600-1411754338_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-70664500-1411754344_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-23736300-1411754354_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-36322300-1411754361_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-63965000-1411754371_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-14553300-1411754379_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-46740900-1411754386_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-08247800-1411754396_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-29933300-1411754404_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-15530000-1411754412_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Your fish davit looks the business Michael B) I love the accompanying reference pics with your posts ;)

You shouldn't have any issues with milling your knightheads,just keep the cuts small in depth as I assume you will be using the 1mm cutter.Thinking through your dimensions thoroughly enables use of the xy table dials to the full and is much more accurate than working to pencil lines.It is just a case of setting the cutter edge to the edge of the workpiece and let the dials do the rest.The main thing to watch for is allowing for half the cutter diameter where necessary and remember to work centre to centre for the slots ;) I find drawing it out on paper and writing how many millimetres between each cut on the sketch invaluable,i.e. the distance on the dials,doing it whilst milling adds to the confusion and mistakes :huh: been there done that :D

Kind Regards

Nigel

Edited by NMBROOK

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Ahoy Micheal  :D

Nice touch. The level of detail you are adding to this kit is incredible,   

How you could do such fine work and still find time to be  "sooo irritated" at yourself amazes me 

PS: I am looking forward to see what you do with your mill.

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Hey Mates,

Nigel thanks for your sage advice. I will read your notes several times as I set up the Proxxon. 

JayPett, Joe and Buck you guys always help me along -- big cheers to you as well

Thanks for the likes and visits always appreciated.

Some of you sent me a PM birthday wish SO kind!!.

I know that the super majority of us prefer to post a neutral avatar. Many of us have become very nice helpful and caring internet friends. So given that its my Name Day today I thought that I would go out on a limb and post a face of your mate Michael.

This one was taken a few months ago (:-) That table is a child's size sorta fits my personality or so I've been told. Our son's room is now my hobby room

There's a a rumor of some kind of French drink with bubbles in it for tonight. (:-)

Cheers everyone..

Michael

post-735-0-12235800-1411836981_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-67631800-1411837359_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Ahoy Micheal :D 

Happy belated B-day. Somehow I missed that 

Your selfie, for a better word really puts into perspective the "scale" of your work. 

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

this build just gets better  and better, "Happy Birthday" Michael, and it was nice to see your smiling face ( much better than a neutral avatar) :P

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Michael,

happy Birthday  :piratebo5:

Thanks a lot showing us some pictures from you and your shipyard! 

Bye Joachim

My new Book in ENGLISH and GERMAN available:

"The colour blue in historic shipbuilding"

http://www.modellbau-muellerschoen.de/buch-en.htm

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History:

http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Hello Michael

Are you going to carve the heads on the knightheads?I am not far enough along on mine to know if the kit supplies them.BTW - happy birthday!

/Mark

Mark,

No I won't carve the heads. They do come with the Corel kit. Here's a pic. These two knighheads will be removed and rebuilt, missing pulley grooves, but I will repaint and use the heads,

Michael

post-735-0-69963200-1412048656_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Happy B-DAY. I like your setup. I notice your a car guy, the case looks real nice, how long you been doing cars.

Joe,

OOOPPPSSSS,

You asked about my other obsession. I apologize as this one response is totally OFF within my log, but I could not help myself since you asked J

I have enjoyed collecting for about 25 years. And over that time the amount of incorporated details have gone to the point of  “the incredible”. My upstairs case are for all of the extras. Downstairs is my other more formal case. I have about 250 cars.

The first three a 71 Mustang is not an important car, but is reflective of details for a 1/24th scale precision diecast. Note the manual trans gear linkage.

The other cars the Maserati, Bugatti, and the Panera are current releases in 1/18th scale. 

Regarding the Maserati if you look carefully just inside the water hose loop you will see that even the chassis number has been included. Yes the door pulls articulate and work, as well as the suspensions in almost all of my collection. These are for-all-intense-and-purposes miniatures of real cars. Some have over 1000 parts.

My other collection is of 1/400th aircraft 97% airliners, with just a few very important military aircraft such as the SR71

Cheers, thanks for asking.

I’ll stay on topic next time. Hope the pics are not too over the top, I know that I'm way off topic (:-) If the Moderators need to remove this post I understand....

Michael

post-735-0-69299300-1412048965_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-51271800-1412048972_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-04085100-1412048980_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-94078400-1412048987_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-40208400-1412048999_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-43195000-1412049009_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-36973000-1412049016_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-92029200-1412049025_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-12102800-1412049033_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-98866300-1412049041_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-89097300-1412049048_thumb.jpg