Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Hi Michael,

It have to be said really very clean and victorious work about Winged Pegasus.

IMO the two figurines in the upper picture are being seen a little more detailed especially on the feathers of the wings, on the scales of the tails and on the manes; more 3-D because of the old / used / some blackened aspect.

About your choice, I think it depends on the harmony of the Pegasus in the second picture with the general entire view of the ship with all other detailed painted figurines.

Do you think to add some colors to them?

Edited by AlphaUrsaeMinoris

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Hi Michael

Your Wasa really is an outstanding beauty - almost more real than the real thing.

However you could (and should) omit those unloved semi-nudes. Behind that wall but a deck lower was the rudder-stand where the helmsman was standing and steering with a whipstaff. He was completely enclosed and needed an opening just where your figures are placed to hear the commands of the responsible officer or pilot standing just in front of that place on the open deck where he could see the sails and the sea.

You could take the figures away and create small rectangular opening. I didn't find out how it should look exactly but perhaps somebody else remembers from a visit in Stockholm.

Kind regards

Peter

Michael,

The person who finished the Pegasus did a great job!

Was it a friend or a professional company?

I think they will fit right in with the style of painting you did on your figurines!

Frank

Frank, 

I was done by a company that specializes in plating and or detailing small pieces.

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Hi Michael,

It have to be said really very clean and victorious work about Winged Pegasus.

IMO the two figurines in the upper picture are being seen a little more detailed especially on the feathers of the wings, on the scales of the tails and on the manes; more 3-D because of the old / used / some blackened aspect.

About your choice, I think it depends on the harmony of the Pegasus in the second picture with the general entire view of the ship with all other detailed painted figurines.

Do you think to add some colors to them?

Ferit,

No I will not add color, that is it (:-)

There are four horses, they will be mounted to wooden bases. Two will support each side of the bow, and two for the stern. I have not decided on how to "fix" the ship in place. Suggestions involve drilling holes in the keel, not so comfortable with this idea-so far.

Michael

post-735-0-75269600-1438016794_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael

Your Wasa really is an outstanding beauty - almost more real than the real thing.

However you could (and should) omit those unloved semi-nudes. Behind that wall but a deck lower was the rudder-stand where the helmsman was standing and steering with a whipstaff. He was completely enclosed and needed an opening just where your figures are placed to hear the commands of the responsible officer or pilot standing just in front of that place on the open deck where he could see the sails and the sea.

You could take the figures away and create small rectangular opening. I didn't find out how it should look exactly but perhaps somebody else remembers from a visit in Stockholm.

Kind regards

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for your always super kind comments, as well as your suggestion regarding the figures.

Brilliant. I never noticed, nor realized this until your suggestion. Excellent, very accurate idea, I will "fix" this. The enclosed photos are exactly what you are taking about. That lower right center area is indeed open so that steering commands could be shouted just below.  Again thanks for the advice, very much appreciated indeed !!

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-38766400-1438017619_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-87215300-1438017628_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I think by not knowing that it's not necessary to drill holes on the ship. With right angles given to figurines it should be compact to stabilize the ship on them. She will be at the end in a safe place in the house. She will be marvelous...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Hi Mates,

Back again with another “fix”, just as I was starting to go vertical;

Peter (flyer) was kind enough to post a suggestion regarding too much nudity on deck ha ha….but more importantly about the missing opening just behind the figures. So decided this brilliant idea should be exercised.

First some (again) complaints about Corel’s kit.

• the weather deck is much too narrow so the doors are too close together and not enough space is available between the doors for the proper amount of figures.

This also caused some previous grief when building the proper size gun carriages.

• The deck gradations are way off as well. So the last set of doorframes stand much too high above that deck

===============

MY MISTAKES. Door hinges should mirror each other at each door, not both have left side hinges

Those portholes in the doors were a figment of my early imagination. The Vasa does not have these.

Those two rope rings on the deck don’t belong there either, but deck scaring keeps them in place. Grrrrrr

Thanks for dropping by..  Peter thanks or your great suggestion, very much appreciated. Big improvement !!

PS: I recommend looking at Peter’s beautiful log (Pegasus). His rigging work alone, along with the great photos are so nice.

Thanks for dropping by..And thanks Peter for your great suggestion, very much appreciated. Big improvement !!

Cheers

Michael

PICs just don't want to load in order w the heck??

post-735-0-59804600-1438627400_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-35772300-1438627407_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-94838300-1438627413_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-84223500-1438627420_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-20147100-1438627427_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-81892900-1438627433_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-68834100-1438627441_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-71084300-1438627448_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-70121000-1438627455_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-18149600-1438627462_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Mates,

Started working on the bowsprit mast tip assembly and its platform.

Initially I had decided to incorporate the wooden discs that Corel had included for this purpose.

Bore out the center, narrowed the thickness, added lower step boards, then instead decided to just build it from scratch (as I will for all of the others as well).

Using Basswood strips, heated in water and rolled, let to dry overnight.

The strips will be stained a darker shade before installing.

Started the lower rail brackets attaching them to the rounded planks…..

That’s it so far, always nice when you folks drop in, many thanks.

Cheers,

Michael

post-735-0-36414900-1439065331_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-69128300-1439065342_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-82500400-1439065350_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-15840200-1439065359_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-19966700-1439065366_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-38000600-1439065373_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-90065900-1439065381_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-91268100-1439065388_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-76136700-1439065395_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-11128400-1439065404_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

George,

As always thanks for your kind remarks (thanks for the likes as well). My pleasure to share, I have learned so much from so many of you.

Minor alteration; After looking at the basswood rings my gut was telling me that the arcs are too wide. With such tiny glew points for the rings, I foresaw the rings snapping off.

So wet some new pieces and wrapped them around a much smaller diameter battery. I figure that when they dry and "set" there should be minor pressure towards the glue points, as opposed to away from. We shall see.

Not sure how those two thicker pieces (on the right all wrapped up) will dry ?? Hmmm.

Looking more carefully at the museum platform reproduction it appears as if the lower ring is wider than the two above. I have not had good luck finding other detailed pics of this part of the ship.

Regards,

Michael

post-735-0-70911000-1439143424_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-04133400-1439143433_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-78062200-1439143441_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Nice idea  with the batteries........ 

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Thanks Frank,

Yea this is going to work like a charm. I also decided to use smaller wood. OK need to close shop. 

You're a So Cal guy, almost time for the Dodgers (:-) (;-)

PS: really enjoying following along with your current build Alert..

MIchael

post-735-0-36687200-1439162883_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Interesting, the idea with the battery, I like it !

Bye Joachim

My new Book in ENGLISH and GERMAN available:

"The colour blue in historic shipbuilding"

http://www.modellbau-muellerschoen.de/buch-en.htm

Current build   Amerigo Vespucci    http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/836-amerigo-vespucci-by-schiffebastler-mantua-model-scale-184-italien-sail-training-ship-build-1931/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History:

http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Nice idea with the battery Michael. Guess that would work for any size one needs.  Gonna have to log that one as well.  :dancetl6:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Michael - I believe you are correct that the lower ring is wider than the uppers.The shrouds for the topmasts actually go through the lower rings so you will need to drill some small holes in the lower rings for the lower shroud ropes to go through.Nice brackets by the way.

/Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Mark,

Hi thanks for dropping by, and thanks for your nice compliment.

Noted on the shrouds, I need to think about this. I may have bitten off more than I can chew with the platform detailing. Having a bit of a learning curve on how to add the two upper ring braces to the platform, Hmmm

I will follow your lead by using ropes to secure the six deadeyes to the sprit mast under the platform. I have seen two options; one has all six ropes attaching to two rings (three on each side) and the other was having six separate attaching points under the platform, three on each side.

The 1/1 only has a reconstructed platform so no help. The 1/10th seems to have six attaching points (as you did on yours) I will probably go with the three rings on each side. 

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Michael - I think those lower deadeyes may actually be in metal chain plates like the others but I took the easy way out by just using rope. As for the attaching points I couldn`t find a really clear picture of them,so I just fastened them in what I thought was a logical fashion.

/Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

Mark,

I think that you were smooth sailing by using ropes with the chain plate deadeyes. I found this close up pic of the 1/10th. I have also seen more models that have used rope, including Calyton's (arguably the most accurate of all the Vasa models privately built)

But [always a conjunction somewhere (:-)] the museum 1/10th, in this pic, seems to (appears to) have used only one attaching ring per side. Very difficult to tell. The museum plan set shows three attaching points with ropes.

Ropes it will be. Yes you are right much easier. And I will attach three separate point per side, as you did with yours.

Cheers

Michael

post-735-0-71353700-1439480963_thumb.jpeg

post-735-0-19509800-1439480986_thumb.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I was looking for something else through Google, and ran into this

OMG is this seller "nuts" (:-)

Thought that I would post 

http://www.amazon.com/Vasa-Archaeology-Maritima-National-Maritime/dp/9197465909/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1439497988&sr=8-4&keywords=vasa+1628

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Oh my!!! I'm selling mine for $2,500. Anyone???  :P  :P  :P  I pay postage anywhere!!!

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I was looking for something else through Google, and ran into this

OMG is this seller "nuts" (:-)

Thought that I would post 

http://www.amazon.com/Vasa-Archaeology-Maritima-National-Maritime/dp/9197465909/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1439497988&sr=8-4&keywords=vasa+1628

Yup - This guy got up and bumped his head. However, after trying to find an available copy, (most were out of stock) I did find this and it's still pretty pricey.  :o  http://www.tower.com/vasa-i-archaeology-swedish-royal-ship-1628-carol-olof-cederlund-hardcover/wapi/100000916

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Yea  what a "shocker"

So, Fred Hocker, those of us whom are lusting after Vasa II (the promised bible on rigging), please don't see these after publication issues going for these insane (unsold so far) amounts.

We all want Vasa II at $50.00 USD as was our first purchase price of Vasa I. As we all know supply and demand need's control pricing. That said, I don't believe that the marketplace will allow for this kind of pricing for book I. I hope...ok time for a single malt or two.

Cheers..

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

I thought it was an April fool's joke  :D   , but I see on the calendar it's August!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Mates,

Minor bowsprit mast platform photo update, self-explanatory. So I will keep text thin.

This platform is a huge improvement from what Corel offers in its kit. Mark (marktiedens) has a nice comparison photo in his excellent build log, but as he also stated now I also need to spend a lot of time building four more (;-)

Also working on detailing the mast as well. As always, thanks so much for your nice comments, likes, and just dropping by.

Cheers,

Michael

post-735-0-78642800-1440174785_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-34386400-1440174792_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-81725400-1440174798_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-82002000-1440174805_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-29943100-1440174815_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-58556700-1440174821_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-63506500-1440174827_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-28615500-1440174834_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-72344400-1440174840_thumb.jpg

post-735-0-86558300-1440174846_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Excellent work Michael and attention to detail B) The 'tops' look great and the bowsprit is coming on well.I think it goes to show that masting and rigging can amount to nearly 50% of the total build if you decide to go to town with the details.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline