Greetings from Ontario, Canada!

cdnguy68

Hello, all:

I am a long-time plastic model builder (mostly military but not exclusively)...After buying and endlessly reading Frank Mastini's excellent book almost 2 decades ago, I have finally taken the plunge with my first two "real" wood kits: Model Shipways' 18th Century Longboat, and (a gift from my wife) Victory Models' HM Bomb Vessel 'Granado'.

I plan to start a couple of build logs to help gauge my progress and actively take in advice.

Looking forward to learning from you all...

-Mark

Edited by cdnguy68
added detail

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:piratebo5:Welcome to MSW!!! The place to be!!!!!!!:cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Hi Mark. Welcome aboard. I look forward to following your build logs.

Ken

Current Build

HM Alert - 1777 - Vanguard

Next Build

Fair American - Model Shipways

Completed Builds

18TH Century Merchantman Half Hull Planking Kit - NRG

San Juan Felucca - OcCre

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Mark and welcome

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Welcome.

You're in the Right Spot, Mark - 100 PERCENT.

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Welcome to MSW, Mark. That longboat in particular is supposed to be a good one to start wooden modelling with. The techniques are quite different from plastic modelling, and it's good to start simple to build up your skills before you move onto more complex builds.

Make sure to start a build log - it's the best way to get help and advice, and the rest of us get to see a beautiful model taking shape!

Steven

Greetings Mark!  MSW is a great site, and hopefully you will join the Nautical Research Guild as well.  Their publications and membership perks are FANTASTIC!  

I’m stoked to hear there is another Granado build in the pipeline.  (Your wife has great taste!). Please start a build log so we can follow along with your builds and offer encouragement and admiration of your efforts.  I’m currently in the middle of a Granado build (Caldercraft version) and am finding it to be a challenging and very rewarding endeavor.  It would be a different story without the forum though!

Have fun and enjoy, and best regards!

BT