New Member restoring my father’s Captain E. Armitage McCann model of the Brig Malek Adhel

Django

I am happy to be here.  I have no experience regarding ship models.  My father and I did build a full size Marblehead Trainer sailing dinghy when I was 12.  He was a bit of a perfectionist and a hard act to follow.  

My father built the Malek Adhel after returning from the CCC.  It took him 2,500 hours over a period of two years, (1938-1940).  During his time in the war, the model was damaged and he restored it when he got back home.  Under my brother’s care, it got damaged again, but by then, my father was unable to repair it, so it has remained damaged until now.  You can follow it as a build log on this forum.  I hope to do the model and my father proud.  Anyway, it’s nice to be here and I am enjoying the encouragement and being able to admire the fine models here.

C7C6FE75-C3DD-4DE9-9517-89FF70BE5735.jpeg

8CFB46CE-5518-464B-8DB6-9486B7400BBA.jpeg

Edited by Django

:sign:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

DJ, welcome to MSW. I like your dad's model. You've undertaken a noble cause, if I can assist in anyway please ask. Glad to have you aboard.

2 hours ago, TBlack said:

The rest of the model looks intact?

Tom, it looks like the aft hatch cover might be missing? 

Hatch is not missing. Thank you, Gregory. 

Edited by Keith Black

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

1 hour ago, Keith Black said:

Tom, it looks like the aft hatch cover might be missing? 

I think it may be seen in the first image at the rear of the base.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Welcome to Model Ship World DJ.  With the help and support from the members on MSW, you will do great in restoring your father's model.  This is a family heirloom that you and future generations will cherish forever.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Of late, there has been some interest in the history of the first ship model kits.  Yours may be from a kit or scratch from McCann's plans, but it is probably one of the first  sizable generation (or close to it) of ship models built by someone not a professional model maker or an actual ship builder or a seaman.   It probably has value as an historical example.  It looks well done in any instance.  When it is back to its prime condition, if you do not have one already, it will want to live in a protective case. 

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure where or how to post this.  I have decided not to go forward with the restoration of the rigging.  I had hoped to preserve as much of the rigging as possible, but most of it is too fragile and really needs to be replaced.  

My relationship with my father was not good, and I hate to say that I am not willing to put the time into the boat.  It is a finely built and historical model and it should beproperly restored, but I can’t do it with my father’s ghost hanging over my shoulder. The model is approximately 33” LOA and 23” tall on the base.  If anyone is interested in re-rigging this historic model, they are welcome to have it along with the originalplane and Popular Science magazines that featured it.  I live in Claremont NH and would be willing to deliver it within a day’s drive or meet someone part way.  The pictures below are as it is presently.

08FF0380-5307-4D53-ABAF-F1B18721388A.jpeg

70B476CF-28F9-4855-98FF-08BF97809C2A.jpeg

Go ahead and post this also in your build log or let one moderators or admins know and we can delete your log.

i hope someone in your area will be able to help.  I do understand your feelings and issues with this model.   If you decide to try ship modelling for yourself, feel free to open a log.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I posted this in my build log as well:

Please ignore the post above.  After an attitude adjustment I have decided that I will continue with and complete the restoration.  It’s a beautiful model and I can’t allow 2500 hours of my father’s life to be wasted.  Sorry for the pity party.  There is a lot of emotion that comes back when working on something of my father’s.  He was a POW at Stalag Luft IV and his PTSD was never treated, (through no fault of his own).  That aside, he was a fine craftsman and I am amazed that he build this at such a young age.

Edited by Django

DJ, this is grand news and I applaud your decision. I hope any mental anguish is minimal, concentrate on the good times no matter how few. We're here to help you and provide any assistance and advise that we can. 

Keith

6 hours ago, Django said:

I posted this in my build log as well:

Please ignore the post above.  After an attitude adjustment I have decided that I will continue with and complete the restoration.  It’s a beautiful model and I can’t allow 2500 hours of my father’s life to be wasted.  Sorry for the pity party.  There is a lot of emotion that comes back when working on something of my father’s.  He was a POW at Stalag Luft IV and his PTSD was never treated, (through no fault of his own).  That aside, he was a fine craftsman and I am amazed that he build this at such a young age.

Good for you.  I some similar family issues and memories but I've worked hard to ignore them and move my comfort zone. I will say, it's a never ending battle though.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: