Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

Your ESSEX is a piece of art!  

I'm well behind, just finishing the inner planking with some leftover holly. Finishes nicely.  Now starting the pocket strips.  Need to get those right.  I think I'll leave the interior natural as you did.

I probably should have heeded your words about not continuing the model when the problems with it became more obvious.  But I bulled ahead and with the help of your blog, I THINK I'm passed the worst.  Now to find some decent black paint!

Best,

Terry

I'm jealous of your pre-made hammock cranes....I had to make mine. I shopped all over to find ready made ones. Nice job!

Thanks so much Rusty, Tim, Terry, Sjors and Rich and the "likes".

Using the iron was Sam Cassano's idea, not mine. It works nicely.

The netting is black Tim and needed no coloring.

Rich, on previous models, I had made the cranes. This was definitely easier.

Terry, the black paint I'm using now is an acrylic from Testors. It seems to be the same as the Pollyscale  black that Testors discontinued.

Bob

thanks about the paint...was experimenting, non too satisfactorily.

well, one minor problem popped out as I was doing the beam pocket strips....after being so careful to get the port and starboard strips level, abeam, etc., I'm slightly wider amidships, and some of the supplied beams are therefore, slightly too short!  also, plans call fro 33 beams, but we're supplied with 32.  Well, I guess I can fix a few!  Don't know how she grew..

Terry

Bob,

the hammock netting Looks great, the whole ship seems to have reached a Status where you are preparing for the Standing rigging if I gues right...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Rigging has begun. I've always enjoyed rigging and it was nice to be doing some again (It's been over two years since I had last done any). 

First, a few general matters. The standing rigging will all be Chuck's black line. I favor black for the deadeye lanyards and ratlines, as well. The arrangement and run of the lines is being taken from the rigging diagrams in AOTS Essex. The sizing of all of the lines is being taken from the proportional sizing data in Lees. Various details are also based on Lees. As I've done in the past, work on the standing rigging will begin on the lower mizzen and move forward.

Now, to the work done so far. I've completed the burton pendants, shrouds, sheer poles and stay on the lower mizzen mast. I used very small wooden eyes from MS for the pendant thimbles. The mouse on the stay is simplified by using a shaped wooden bead. I have not served any of the lines because of the small scale, and don't intend to. Crowsfeet and ratlines will be done after the main and fore pendants, shrouds and stays are done.

I apologize for the quality (or lack thereof) of the photos. I've never been good at photos of rigging and nothing seems to have changed. I'm now working on the lower main.

Bob

post-186-0-30897600-1418644086_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-36010200-1418644140_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-15838200-1418644188_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-09853400-1418644264_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-59187100-1418644287_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-56935500-1418644451_thumb.jpg

Bob, your Essex is looking great. The rigging is very sharp so far. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Rigging has begun. I've always enjoyed rigging and it was nice to be doing some again (It's been over two years since I had last done any). 

I apologize for the quality (or lack thereof) of the photos. I've never been good at photos of rigging and nothing seems to have changed. I'm now working on the lower main.

The rigging -- as well as the photos -- look pretty fantastic to me.  It is great pleasure learning from you and all the other talented modelers on this forum.

Great work !!!!    :)

Till next time.....     😎

Steve

Finished:              Artesania Latina Constellation;   Model Shipways USF Confederacy:  Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company

Current Build:     Syren's Winchelsea 

Nice taut lines, Bob.  Rigging, like planking, can really try a Captain's patience -- and somehow it's more enjoyable to watch someone else's work than one's own.

By the way, your photography of the rigging so far exceeds anything I could ever do -- the big question is always how to get the focus on those thin lines.

cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

Thanks so much Terry. While aging isn't always fun, it sure beats the alternative. ;)  :)  BTW, I see that Expo is now apparently selling some Essex kit (its in their new catalogue). You might check to see if there are any updates or improvements that you can get.

Bob

thought I already sent this...anyway, saw the ESSEX ads , but not by Sam.  Anyway, I'm up to deck furniture, stove, etc, and partial decking.  Lots of lumber from Hobbymill.  Next to decide on gun carriages.  

North tomorrow for Xmas. Milwaukee and cold.  No ESSEX for awhile.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Terry

Looking very nice Bob!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Bob,

I think many of us who are interested in building this kit will use your build log as a practicum.

Scott

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

The burton pendants, shrouds stay and preventer stay are now done on the lower main mast. The rope sizes were, of course, larger than for the mizzen, but the procedures followed were the same. This phase of the work will be completed next with the same lines on the lower foremast. This may be delayed a bit since my kids and grandkids are all arriving for an extended holiday visit.

Let me take this opportunity to wish all who visit this log a very happy holiday season and a healthy New Year.

Bob

post-186-0-38666500-1419082524_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-25414100-1419082550_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-75555900-1419082571_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-26465200-1419082604_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-23192500-1419082625_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-92591800-1419082646_thumb.jpg

As always, prim and proper.

Enjoy the Holiday time with the family, Bob.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956