Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

Thanks Bob.  Was just wondering if there was some "Admiralty Rule" buried in a text from 1790.  I could never really find anything on that.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I love that boat Bob,

That dull black color is just right, looks great...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

The longboat installation is now complete. I first added boxwood chocks to the beams. I then made up and installed brass ringbolts on the beams. Next, I made up some oars from very small dowel and boxwood strip and placed them in the boat. You will probably notice that I only added 4 oars, which is certainly too few. It just seemed a shame to cover up all of the interior detail in the boat with a larger pile of oars.

After gluing the boat to the chocks, I made up 2 lashings through the ringbolts to hold the boat. I'm quite pleased with the way it looks in place and am now debating with myself whether to add a second boat of some kind from the stern davits, at some point in the future.

Work is now underway on the hammock cranes.

Bob

post-186-0-92403200-1417272181_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-14117900-1417272215_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-37359200-1417272255_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-51952300-1417272281_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-38343600-1417272310_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-58249700-1417272339_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-51417000-1417272372_thumb.jpg

I agree. A stern davit boat is most definitely in order.

(By the way, good call on just the four oars for your mid-ships boat.)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Really a nice, clean assembly all around.  Love the oars!  And the black hull picks up the other accents.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks so much guys for all the very generous comments and the "likes". The boat was one of those fun things that makes some of the more tedious tasks worth doing.

Bob

The boat looks terrific Bob. And you should definitely make another to fit the stern davits, if for no other reason than I'd like to see you scratch build a POF boat! I know it would be awesome and as you have observed already, making boats is an enjoyable and interesting diversion from some of the more tedious tasks. :) No pressure, of course ;)

Nicely done with the combination of materials, and using the basswood boat effectively Bob. Looking good. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

Bob,

next to your excellent HMS Essex, that  boat lashed to the supports Looks so great and admirable, it realy is inspiring for me to do hopefuly alike for my HMS Pegasus, at least I left an adequate space in hight for it under the main stay sail. Your boat has all it takes to look like a propper work- and traffic boat, no fancies, but Color, Wood tones, Fitting out and the general apeal are just wonderful

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

just caught up with your log Bob, she looks fantastic, the ships boat looks great - well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

A quick update. The hammock cranes have been installed. This work went surprisingly quickly and easily. I used the kit photo etched brass parts which are nicely done. These were glued into holes drilled into the rails. Rather than using rigging line for the guidelines at the top of the cranes, I use wire to provide added strength and stability. After the wire was glued in place, the assembly is remarkably strong.

Now for the fun part  :P -- fitting and attaching the netting in the cranes.

Bob

post-186-0-73182200-1417524151_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-67719800-1417524172_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-02484200-1417524192_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-35801400-1417524211_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-94606600-1417524231_thumb.jpg

Wire was the way to go.  Should help out setting up the nets.  Nicely done, Bob.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Nicely done Bob, I also used wire for the Agamemnon and it works very well, it also makes it a lot easier to attach the netting.

Good luck with that mate.

Be Good

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks so much Tim, Augie, Sjors and Mobbsie and also the"likes". I've used the wire before and it works much better for me.

The netting is going in now Sjors.

Bob

The hammock netting has now been installed in the hammock cranes. The netting is the veil material from the kit. After cutting into oversize strips, I steamed it with an iron to remove the kinks and soften it. The strips were then glued to the crane bottoms and the wire at the top on each side, using medium viscosity CA. Final trimming was done using a small scissor and a razor blade.

With completion of this item, work on the hull is now finished for the time being. The remaining hull work ( head, lantern, anchors, stern boat ), will be done during, or at the completion of, the rigging. I am about to begin the standing rigging.

Bob

post-186-0-19711700-1417870473_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-71963600-1417870499_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-48043900-1417870519_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-90431200-1417870539_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-56253600-1417870572_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob,

Great job on those finicky hammock cranes and netting and I never thought to iron the netting.

Gotta remember that one. B) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout