Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

Nice work on those chain plates! I'm jealous since I haven't figured exactly how to attack my chain plates. History shows that chain plates evolved very fast in 50 years.

Thanks so much Rich. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think that the chains on Connie would be very different than those on Essex.

Terry,I used sheet stock and some 3/16" wide strips for the margin planks. Although I'm happy to help you in any way I can, I really think that it's time for you to start a log for your build so that you could benefit from the input of others as well.

Bob

starting to copper.  using the longer strips and made up a jig with nails to simulate a rather  random nail pattern/your suggestion.

would rather have done coppering after the decks, but just ordering the material.

don't laff,  but  I can't forward pics....lookout, I might drive an hr S and hand carry her to u!

Terry

Deadeyes and chains on the main channels are now done. As should be expected, the work went quicker and easier on the main than the fore. Practice may not make perfect, but it certainly helps. Really nothing new to show here, but I've included a photo of how I set the angle for the chains by using a piece of line tied around the mast head.

I had thought that the tedium of doing these would lead me to take a break and do something else, but I've gotten in a rhythm and will finish up the mizzen chains next.

Bob

post-186-0-83184200-1415883723_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-79361600-1415883841_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-49723000-1415883866_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-73548900-1415883899_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much Tim and the "likes".

Tim, I am the lowest of low tech. My "jig" is a pair of nails in a piece of wood. A piece of wire is bent around them and then cut at the overlap.

Bob

post-186-0-47544400-1415897908_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-89257100-1415897928_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-43570000-1415897947_thumb.jpg

good jig idea.

Never coppered before, therefore experimented on lengths of tape to comfortably use.  Went from full length, much twisting, etc., to very short, to pieces about 1/3 total length, which I could handle more easily.

Tried the tool I made with blunted nails.  Found it didn't work too well for me.  Finally took the punch I was using to enscribe the lines, and used it to make the nail impressions.  Worked very well as it made the right "punch", and I was able to place them easily where I felt they looked the best.  Long job, and have taken time away to do other tasks.

Terry

Happily, I 've completed one of those tedious tasks that I never enjoy very much. With the completion of the mizzen deadeyes and chains, that work is done. The mizzen work duplicated the work on the fore and main and needs no further description.

For those looking at the full profile photo attached to this post, there is an addition that may or may not become permanent. I've been thinking about what to do about a boat or boats. While contemplating whether to try (likely unsuccessfully) to duplicate the wonderful efforts of B.E., Grant and others to make framed and planked boats, I discovered that I had a partially built boat made from lifts. To my surprise, this boat ,with some small changes , virtually matched the dimensions and shape of the 28' longboat shown in AOTS Essex. I'm going to do some more work on it to see if it will produce a result that  I'll be happy  with. Stay tuned.  ;)

Bob

post-186-0-55811000-1416324510_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-23052700-1416324540_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys for the comments and the"likes".

I will be going forward to the rigging after I complete the boat (or boats?) and the hammock cranes and netting. As I've mentioned earlier, It has been my intention to use a combination of AOTS and Lees to do the rigging.

BTW Frolick, no blood on the jig -- although I've certainly bled on any number of other places over the years. :(

Bob

Great progress Bob, and I'll bet it feels good to get that "tedious" bit behind you. I reckon you should have a crack at a framed/planked boat. With your skills, I bet it would be a beauty. :)

Thanks so much Grant. Until I came upon this unused part build in my storage drawer, it had been my intention to frame and plank. I've decided to at least give this one a try because I must admit that I don't really have much enthusiasm for either cutting all those tiny frames or notching a plug by hand. We will see what happens.

Bob

Bob,

Wonderful work!! All here can see it's a labor of love for you and it shows. I just blew two days of my vacation reading this log, all 73 pages of it. Thanks alot! ;)

As for your issue with the figurehead(I'll say it, avoidance), have you considered a modern high tech solution? 3D printing. You could have the one supplied with the kit scaled down, or find a design of your choice and have that produced for you in the scale you are looking for. I immediately had this thought while reading your posts. Food for thought. Build on!

John

Edited by Jetwrench

Thanks so much John for the nice comments and for using your vacation time so well.  ;)  :D  :D  I should have news about the figurehead  in the not too distant future.

Bob

The longboat for the waist is done. As I mentioned previously, I decided to go with a long ago begun, but not finished or used, boat made from basswood lifts. With some modification, this boat closely matched the shape and dimensions of the 28' longboat shown in AOTS Essex. 

I began by reducing the length and height of the hull and completing it's shaping. Next, I added the keel, stem and sternpost made from boxwood strip. I then painted both the exterior and interior of the hull. Work then proceeded on the interior with the addition of boxwood frames, gunwales and clamps for the thwarts and holly floor planking. Bow and stern gratings made from kit material with boxwood framing were next. After that, i made the thwarts and sternsheet from boxwood and added them. I also added boxwood knees at the bow and stern.

Next, I added boxwood rubbing strips to the exterior, before returning to the interior to finish the detailing. This included the windlass, made from boxwood with wire mounts, boxwood bowsprit step and mast step, wire mast clamp and oarlocks made from boxwood and wire.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with this boat and don't believe that I would have done better, or even as well, if I had done it as plank on frame. The only downside was that I had to paint it, rather than leaving it natural wood, but I  like the way it looks. I still have to add oars, add chocks and ringbolts to the skid beams and mount the boat with lashings.

Bob

post-186-0-91340300-1416927648_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-85059900-1416927695_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-74483100-1416927725_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-11325300-1416927767_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-40547800-1416927797_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-84319700-1416927854_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-96401000-1416927896_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-55154800-1416927920_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-77270000-1416927939_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-77665400-1416927964_thumb.jpg

She looks wonderful  Is there a reason you chose black for the exterior?  The reason I ask is that when I did Syren, I wrestled with the color issue and just went along with the instructions.  But it always bothered me that white seemed to make a perfect target.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

If you hadn't told us and only shown the finished work, we might thought it was a POF.  Very well done, Bob.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks so much Augie and Mark.

Augie it was going to be either white or black. The deciding factor was a photo in AOTS Essex of an Essex model with a black boat. I liked it in the photo and I like it on my model.

Bob

I think it looks great.  The inside is natural wood and the outside looks fine painted.

You should have no regrets.  And your outstanding workmanship is evident.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild