Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

Work on the lower masts is now basically complete. The mizzen lower mast and it's top have been made and mounted. This was a simpler job than the fore and main because the mizzen does not have extended cheeks or a front fish. There are also no metal bands except at the head and only one woolding just below the bibbs. The only additional item is the rest for the driver boom which was cut from boxwood sheet with boxwood strip supports. There are some blocks which will be added to the mast head when they arrive ( i stupidly forgot to order all of the sizes I needed when I placed my first order for blocks).

With the completion of this work, I am starting work on the lower deadeyes and chains and then the hammock cranes and netting. It's very possible that the tedium of doing all those deadeyes and chains will cause me to go back and forth between the two .

Bob

post-186-0-50835900-1414838225_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-68391300-1414838255_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-96666000-1414838276_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-94590400-1414838299_thumb.jpg

fantastic work

I need to re read your log

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Chuck has some very nice blocks, hooks, gun carriages on his site.  First site I've seen actual hooks, 2 sizes, available.

Struggling with stern framing.  Very fragile pieces to cut out and assemble.  Relied on Bob's pictures more than the plan and book.  Good thing two sets of windows/ I know I'll have fun inserting them w/o breaking or loosing!

Terry

I'm glad I read the first part of this log, Bob - if I didn't know the difficulties you encountered with the kit at the outset I would be inspired by this beautiful build to go out and buy one of these myself - but unlike you, I would likely give up before getting too far! Anyway, I'll continue to let your work inspire me in my much smaller and less daunting projects! Thanks for sharing

hamilton 

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

A week of working on deadeyes and chains  leaves you a little cross-eyed and shaky, so please forgive any typing errors that may occur. In any event, the fore channel deadeyes and chains are done.

As on the bowsprit, the deadeyes are from Model Expo. The lower portion of the chains are the PE brass parts from the kit and the middle links are bent from wire around a simple 2 nail jig. I also added preventer eyebolts, shown in AOTS, between the chains. After looking at the pictures that I took, I realized that some of the chains needed some adjustment, which I made, but didn't take any further pictures (I probably should have).

Now it's on to the main channels.

Bob

post-186-0-49000400-1415447016_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-53528400-1415447102_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-89011100-1415447124_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-07918700-1415447154_thumb.jpg

Nicely done Bob, those chains really do look the part.

Well done mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Wonderful work on the chains, Bob. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Bob, what else can I say that hasn't already been said?  Amazing work.  I assume, and you probably stated earlier somwhere, are you using the AOTS book for your reference on masting and rigging?  I should go back and re-read so pardon my laziness....  I ask because one day I hope I'll be rigging my essex....

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

Great job again Bob !

And just around the gun ports and not in front of it !

That's something that I still have to learn.....

And what are those eyebolts for under it ?

Sjors

Thanks so much Wes and Sjors for the kind words and Captain Steve for all of the "likes".

Wes, I'm using AOTS and James Lees for the masting and rigging.

Sjors, the eyebolts are called preventer bolts and, according to TFFM, they are used to anchor temporary shrouds in the event that the chains are lost in battle or storm.

Bob

Arr ... I was tryin' to slip in un-noticed.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thanks so much Dave for the very generous comments.

Captain Steve,no way that you'd get by unnoticed. :D  :D  BTW, I got my first look at your Bounty launch --WOW!

Bob

Terry, the upper exterior hull is 1/16" x 1/8" boxwood. The interior hull is 1/32" x 1/8" boxwood. The deck planking is 1/32" x 1/8" holly. All the planking was finished with only Wipe-on Poly.

Bob

thanks.   your pics of the planking, which is beautifully done, look to be larger than the 1/16" x 1/8" Basswood supplied with the kit.  Just wondered as I've had a tough time with the planking, shaping the bulkheads to get a reasonably fair run of the planks.  I've done better on others, lots of sanding and filler, therefore I've decided to either stain or paint.  

Terry