new to ship building..

There is no 'best' model that will suit the needs of every builder, but here's what makes a good beginner's kit. It is first of all:

1. One that has quality materials and instructions.
  2. One that a beginner can reasonably be expected to finish.
  3. One that is a subject that appeals to you.

Keep those three things in mind and you'll find something to fit the bill.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

Any of the beginner level kits from Vanguard Models keeping in mind Chris’ comment above.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

As everyone else has said there is no "best" beginner model. As someone who is in the middle of their first model, I would suggest paying particular attention to items 1 and 2 on Chris' list. You will make a lot of mistakes and so this means that:

1. You don't want to have problems with the kit itself adding to your already steep learning curve
  2. You are unlikely to produce the model of your dreams with your first attempt

You may aspire to build a three decker some day, but I would recommend picking something smaller to make all the inevitable mistakes on. Then once you have the experience of completing a model you can move on to the subject you have always dreamed of doing and maybe actually do it justice.

I can recommend the one I am working on (Alert by Vanguard Models), but there are many other suitable alternatives.

Also check out Chris' article about starting out.

If you want to get as much as you can out of this hobby, you will be doing alot of research and questioning.  You found an excellent website for that.  After you settle on the model you want, you will want to know which tools to get.  That topic also exists. 

Happy modeling...and remember, you can never have too many clamps.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Time is the biggest factor. A small model is a few months a large one maybe years. 

If you are looking for a result (everybody is at the start); then go as modest as is possible for something you wish to make. 

Generally, don't ignore Occre; they have a good range ofreasonably priced kits and very good support with their youtube channel.

WV,  Welcome to MSW!!  If you follow the recommendations in posts #2, #3, and #4 above you will be happy.  The designer of these three models is a professional model builder and author on ship modeling with a lifetime of experience helping beginners and masters alike and he is a member here.  He can lend advice if you post a build log of your work and run into issues or have questions during your build.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Welcome to MSW.  Good advice from everyone else but I'll just add a suggestion..... start a log when you decide.  It's the best way to get help and meet other modelers.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome aboard!

Chris said it best above......... I would say point 3 is, in my opinion, the most important.  Find something that you are interested, and happy searching!  Do you want to do a sailing ship.....a warship....sailboat....cargo ship....etc., then what era?

There are a ton of resources on here, plus online as well.

A tool/resource/attribute often overlooked is 'patience'.  There will be times when things are not progressing fast enough, or things are not working out as planned.  Those are the times when you back away and either not worry about the speed of the progress, or slow down and work out how to solve the issue, and/or have a beer.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

13 minutes ago, Chuck Seiler said:

A tool/resource/attribute often overlooked is 'patience'.  There will be times when things are not progressing fast enough, or things are not working out as planned.  Those are the times when you back away and either not worry about the speed of the progress, or slow down and work out how to solve the issue, and/or have a beer.

I fully recommend all those solutions.  vil-triinque.gif.9ba8819b0ad4af6b99ea766c651cc463.gif Some days, Murphy just runs amok and not a thing we can do about it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

My first wooden kit was the Amati Santa Maria. Probably not considered a "true" beginners kit but I chose it because I loved the subject. I found it challenging but totally rewarding. Sure there were many parts that really perplexed me at the time, but by asking here, and reading many books and posts I managed to produce what I consider to be a really nice model.

So I always say, with some caveats, choose a subject that interests you. The caveat? I would steer clear of "expert" kits like large Victory's etc. You will see very experienced builders on this forum sometimes can run into problems with those type of kits. Also, I think you should probably prepare yourself for the fact that every kit, no matter what level, will likely present problems of some sort or another. No kit will fit together 100% perfectly the way the instructions say it will. They all require some sort of tweeking to come together.

Building a model ship is a very repetitive process and can even get boring. Especially if you start with something too big. Ask some of the advanced builders on this site how much fun it is rigging all the cannons or doing the ratlines on a large scale Victory? My Santa Maria offered me the chance to do simpler cannons, less ratlines and probably most importantly for a beginner, a far simpler planking due to the shape of the bow. I would steer clear of bluff bowed vessels like Victory, Bounty, Endeavour etc. I would also recommend any vessel you undertake to have double planking. The first planking will give you a great idea as to how planking is done and doesn't have to be perfect. It also makes the second layer, which you want to be a perfect as possible, much easier to do.

Good luck on your journey.

Chris

:722972270:

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

:sign:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom, Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

On 5/2/2023 at 8:53 AM, CPDDET said:

If I were just starting I would do the 3 kits, in order, offered by model shipways. I would also do the half hull planking kit offered by the Nautical Research Guild. 

I started with a long boat and then switched to the 3 Model Expo kits recommended above.  I'm glad I did; I learned a lot of things that built upon what I had just learned.  I went back and finished the Long Boat and didn't make as many mistakes and was much more relaxed.  As mentioned above, patience is a must as well as starting a build log on this website where you can ask questions and get great advice.

Current Projects:                                                                                          Completed Projects:

Phantom New York Pilot Boat - Model Shipways - 1:96                        Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Model Shipways - 1:24

18th Century Long Boat - Model Shipways - 1:48

Norwegian Sailing Pram - Model Shipways - 1:12

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24