USS Zumwalt by RGL - FINISHED - Snowman Model - 1/350 - PLASTIC

A very different subject for your next effort Greg; did all that rust attract you ;)  :)   I have seen some info that suggested both guns may be removed to make-way for the installation of four 87-inch missile launcher modules, carrying up to 12 missiles.  Which version are you building?

cheers

Pat 

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

This is the perfect example of a racehorse designed by committee. Underpowered, overpriced. Each round for her cannon valued at USD$1M and designed for NGS offshore but too valuable to expose to the shore. I was going to wait until they did the forward hyper velocity cruise missiles but I reckon they realise they would be too expensive again. 

Greg

This so a really simple kit, the PE from Eduard is very nesessary if you’re going to use the back deck as it has a hydraulic system that makes up the safey rails which is recessed on the kit. Also the boat deck and helicopter hangar is closed so I’ll open it up and park some new helicopters 

IMG_3999.jpeg

IMG_3997.jpeg

IMG_3994.webp

IMG_3995.jpeg

IMG_3996.jpeg

IMG_3991.jpeg

IMG_3987.jpeg

IMG_3970.jpeg

IMG_3969.jpeg

Greg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I went away interstate with some club friends for a hobby comp, got best ship for Thetis Bay, Best Sub for U-9 and Peoples Choice for Seydlitz. Got golds for all and for HMS Zulu and a silver for the Porco Rosso. Nice review on U-Tube, last few minutes  https://youtu.be/Aq1T8z5jz9g

So anyways back to the Zumwalt. I have really stuggles to date getting the hull smooth to my satisfaction as the hul join is not flush. I’ve now drawn in the hull welds below the waterline which I’ll scribe in lightly. 

IMG_4442.jpeg

Greg

8 hours ago, RGL said:

So I went away interstate with some club friends for a hobby comp, got best ship for Thetis Bay, Best Sub for U-9 and Peoples Choice for Seydlitz. Got golds for all and for HMS Zulu and a silver for the Porco Rosso. Nice review on U-Tube, last few minutes  https://youtu.be/Aq1T8z5jz9g

Yes, I watched with pleasure and admiration, your models presented on the The Model News. I placed a link in your Porco Rosso thread.

Congratulations.

Yves

Congrats Greg, that is great recognition of your efforts.

cheers

Pat

Congratulations on your results on the show. Was that "Best in show" for the Sedlitz/Zeppelin or "Peoples Choice"? Either way, well deserved.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Lower hull done. I need to start grunging it up a little but I think I’ll leave that till the upper hull is done. I’m also in the process of doing up a half hull weathering demo for November as I’ve been asked to do a presentation of ship building/ Weathering and rigging. 

IMG_4480.jpeg

Greg

Flight deck. I used a black/Grey for the VLS hatches and the helicopter barriers. Once the flight deck dries ill mask then then the rest of the deck will be dark grey. 

the barriers are a pain, the PE is blank but the undersides have warning colours and hydraulics 

IMG_4504.jpeg

IMG_4505.jpeg

IMG_4008.jpeg

Greg

• 3 weeks later...

I was initially surprised at the depth of oil canning effect in the photos, but now that I think about it, with sides that are basically flat, the waves hitting them head on would definitely have more of an impact as opposed to hulls which are more rounded/curved; just such a strange ship.    Greg, I love what you did with the internals in the hangar; the flag looks great in there. 

Alan

• 1 month later...

Looks good Greg.  How are you finding those SMS paints to use?  What thinner do you use with it?  I have tried Tamiya 400 and it seems to work okay.

cheers

Pat