RolBerg

Hello from Norway

I am new to ship building and found two models from Mamoli that i will try to build first. I bought them new from a guy for 120 usd for both.

If i do well i will go for a large model of either Wasa, Soleil Royal, Victory or Santisima Trinidad.

Will put out pictures during the build, so now i just have to wait for all my tools to arrive.

IMG_0201.thumb.jpg.993ee458cda3032c68e21b93be27a545.jpg

Welcome and good luck with your first model ships. Don,t forget to ask any questions as there is a wealth of knowledge on MSW.

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

49 minutes ago, DaveBaxt said:

Welcome and good luck with your first model ships. Don,t forget to ask any questions as there is a wealth of knowledge on MSW.

Thanks. Looked at the drawings and building instructions to the Black Prince and they are pretty vague so i will be asking a lot i guess.

9 minutes ago, RolBerg said:

Thanks. Looked at the drawings and building instructions to the Black Prince and they are pretty vague so i will be asking a lot i guess.

I would encourage you to start a build log, it is the best way to get ongoing feedback and help. Welcome to MSW.

:sign:

RolBerg this is the place to be. Like it was said open a log for which ever one you are going to do first,  you will be amazed by all the help you will receive.  Have fun :cheers:          Bob M.

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah

The Mayflower  Amati 1:60 Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   To be decided!!

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

:piratebo5:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

10 hours ago, RolBerg said:

I found the drawing of  my first build very frustrating but still do to some extent however there are some better ones out there. There is a poll on here which gives you an idea of which kits have the better instructions. I have found Caldercraft very good, especially for rigging. I also understand that Vanguard are up there with the best and have become very popular. Something I am definately consodering for my next build. Anyway for now I agree starting of with a build log is definately the way to go .

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Please add my warm welcome to MSW

11 hours ago, RolBerg said:

learn to do it the right or best way on my first build.

In light of your very well said comment  I am surprised no one has mentioned this, but you may want to consider putting your kits aside for the time being and start with a high quality beginner kit to learn good habits and skills.   There is a thread here at MSW on this as well as many build logs of beginner level kits that are well designed with clear instructions and drawings such as the three boat series from Model Shipways.

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/13703-for-beginners-a-cautionary-tale/#comment-421943

https://modelexpo-online.com/Model-Shipways-Shipwright-3-Kit-Combo-Series_p_5465.html

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

4 hours ago, allanyed said:

Please add my warm welcome to MSW

In light of your very well said comment  I am surprised no one has mentioned this, but you may want to consider putting your kits aside for the time being and start with a high quality beginner kit to learn good habits and skills.   There is a thread here at MSW on this as well as many build logs of beginner level kits that are well designed with clear instructions and drawings such as the three boat series from Model Shipways.

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/13703-for-beginners-a-cautionary-tale/#comment-421943

https://modelexpo-online.com/Model-Shipways-Shipwright-3-Kit-Combo-Series_p_5465.html

Allan

Thank you.

I have built RC aircraft from wood before and plastic models so i think i will be able to build something more advanced then the most basic models. I will try on the Black Prince first but if i see that i need something simpler i will buy the model Polaris from OcCre. I don't think they sell Model Shipway models here and importing these even if they are cheap to buy at a store they will become twice the price or more when shipping, import charges and vat is paid. It make more sense to import an expensive model.

Many years ago i bought the model Harvey from Artesania to my dads 65 years birthday and he had never built a wooden ship before just some plastic models of aircrafts and one small plastic ship (that i know of). But he built that boat with no help from others or internet in under 3 months and the result was perfect, so if i have a 1/4 of his natural talent i will be fine.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)