Favorite hull and deck planking wood

After a year or so hiatus from building, I purchased and started Jotika's HMS Brig Supply. The kit suggests using hull painting over the supplied walnut. However, I like clean wood. Also, it has always puzzled me why you paint a hull when you take so much time to get the planking right.

In any case, I'm not going to paint. On a few of my previous builds I have used cherry, and quite like it. I was wondering if anyone has some other wood suggestions I might try...both hull and deck. I am fortunate to have both Byrnes saw and thickness sander, so making your own planks isn't arduous.

Any thoughts?

I'm with you on the unpainted wood. I have used both walnut, and cherry for planking as well as red heart, mahogany, yellow heart and ebony where appropriate. I like birch for decking, but I know others don't like it.  For accent and decorative areas, I have used bubinga, purple heart, leopard wood, rosewood, tulip and even maple. Carving and complex curves I go with pear which is easily workable but lacks any grain detail and frankly looks boring to my eye. I like it when you can see variations in color and grain when going from piece to piece and pear is monochromatic and dull. I'm sure there are some others I use which I can't recollect now but as you can see, I like to use a variety.

Rich

Edited by barkeater
spelling

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

I can't add much too what Barkeater says, and I am in full agreement with him.

Those exotics can be really hard on tools, but that said, Ocooch Hardwoods is a great source for dimensioned exotics and domestics.

Also, stores like Rockler are a great source for veneer.   I like veneer for spiling rather than going the edge bending route..

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

You could consider staining the wood to mimic the colour scheme and partially paint the model. You do have to be careful with wood stain though, because I found to my cost that some stains, especially oil based stains, do not glue well. What I normally do is stain twice - once before installation, and again after sanding. This is because it is almost impossible to sand all glue residue off, and if there is any glue residue left it will interfere with the stain. Some parts of my current model are painted, some are stained, and you can subtly see the wood grain through the stain. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

I personally feel that unpainted models are overdone.  I agree that wood left naturally is  appropriate for true Dockyard style models with exposed framing built from the big three woods- boxwood, pear, holly.  On the other hand there is something about unpainted POB kit models that makes them look like either “gift shop specials” or toys.

My models are long term projects. They involve years of dreaming, mental construction and planning before I pick up a tool.  Part of this involves an artistic vision involving display of the model.  This includes selection of materials for baseboard rd and case.  All but one of my models are painted, except where the actual component on the real vessel was finished bright.

Roger.

52 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

boxwood, pear, holly

These are my favorites as well, but getting true boxwood (Buxus sempervirens) means remortgaging the house so I went to Castello boxwood (Calycophyllum multiflorum) years ago with no regrets.   Alaskan cedar gets rave reviews as being an excellent wood and can be seen on Chuck Passaro's builds.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Allan,

I have two planks of real boxwood bought back in the 1970’s.  I also have a stash of pear locally cut when I lived in Ohio.  Every so often I consider putting my current project on hold to build something else that makes use of this beautiful wood. Right now I’m plodding along making 144 1/16” OD hatch cover ring bolts.  80 done and 64 left to do!  I have a routine Dr Appt in two weeks. If he tells me to get my affairs in order because I have some incurable disease the first order of business will be to decide who gets the boxwood.😆

Bid Creek Dad,

Everyone has his own opinion.  That’s mine!

Roger

Roger

Seems like half our neighborhood heads back to Minnesota every May/June for the month of summer. Kidding,,,,, they usually stay until the leaves change in the fall.   I may organize them to make a wood raid on your place when they head back next season.😀😁

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

21 hours ago, bigcreekdad said:

ROGER...Toys? Really? To each, his own I guess.

When I'm working on my models, I think of it as playing with my toys, so yeah;  to each his own..😁

00Shrouds.jpg

Edited by Gregory

― Jimmy Buffett

Allen,

I suspect that most are returning to the Twin Cities about 150 miles south of Duluth where we live.  We have a Friday lunch group during the summer we get about 8 guys.  Last Friday there were three of us, the rest headed to warmer climes.  Leaves are all gone.  It’s a long story, but my wife and I have decided to forgo our March visit to Marco Island this winter.  We had been going every year since 2004.😒

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

Sorry to go off track BCDad

Roger

Wish I knew you came down to Marco.   If things change PLEASE PM me as it would nice to break bread and swap sea stories with you or any members that head this way in the winter.   

Allan

Greg....that's damn beautiful! Let's just say this...I wouldn't let my grandson play with that toy. Do you have a full pic you can share?

BTW, I was certainly not criticizing painters. In fact, I'm now looking at my Bluenose build....with a beautiful (IMO) paint job. I used a spray on the lower hull (RED) and it is pretty darn nice (IMO)! It's just I prefer unpainted wood on some ships. I gave away my build of Caldercrafts' Pickle...I thought the copper plating looked awful.

1 hour ago, bigcreekdad said:

Do you have a full pic you can share?

Thanks much for the compliment.

That's from my Resolution build.  You can click in my signature.  It's on hold since the cat thought it was a toy..  Nothing that can't be fixed, but it sort of took the wind out of my sails on that project..

The stem, keel and rudder is yellow heart.  Lower hull planking is walnut veneer.  The deck is from maple veneer that I cut with a laser, which also gives the caulking effect.  Deck furniture and masting is cherry.

The exception to my "no paint" preference, is the stove pipe.  The wales were done with black ink and the gunports were done with red mahogany stain.

Base4.jpg

Here is a wider shot of the hull.

― Jimmy Buffett

The pear wood stash is mine not Allan’s.  It was cut back in the 1970’s by someone who was building a house near Marietta, Ohio.  I had it sawn into slabs at a backwoods sawmill.  It sat around indoors and outdoors until a few years ago when I flattened it on my jointer, planed it and sawed it into billets.

Roger

20 hours ago, bigcreekdad said:

Allan....was the pear you are talking about native to where you were in Ohio? I've lived in Toledo area for most of my life, and I don't see any pear.

I was in   NJ and FL for most of my modeling years, never lived in Ohio.   The pear I am talking about was purchased from exotic wood suppliers, and is steamed (Swiss) pear and has a reddish color.

Adam, apple is a great wood to work with, especially for carving.   I used to live a few miles from an apple orchard and when they pruned each winter they would stack it up to burn it.   I would go over before the burn and take whatever I liked with their compliments.    It needs to be debarked and the ends painted to prevent checking while it dries for a few years unless you have access to a wood kiln.   It can usually be found with the wood suppliers like the box and pear.   I understand Cook Woods  is a good supplier and I have used Gilmer Woods a number of times.  Both are located in Oregon. They do not always have all the species I like to use, but it is a good start for US clients.  

Allan

Both Gilmer and Cook are excellent sources.   If there is something special in wood you're looking for, drop them a note and ask if they're planning on getting more.   Or just check the sites like once a week.  In the past, I noticed that some species would sell out pretty quick, so it's sometimes a bit hit and miss.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have a project for  a new ice cream store and we contracted for a model using popsicle sticks for most of the hull and deck planking.   It appears to be birch which is the most common wood for popsicle sticks as far as I can find.  In test cutting, shaping and sanding a few pieces it is not bad, so far.  Will keep you posted on how it goes here at this topic when I get to the planking stage.   The only downside right now is that when the rounded ends are cut off they are the equivalent of 20 feet long at 1:48 so a bit shorter than I would like.   

Allan