1932 Ford Sedan “The Orange Crate” Custom Show Rod by CDW - FINISHED - Revell - 1:25 scale

CDW

Great kit, a raunchy looking '32 Ford.  I bashed mine ( a loooooong time ago) as a Bonneville racer by simply changing the tires and a couple of simple mods.

Looking forward to this one!

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

The brightest yellow I could find!

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

This is what comes inside the box.

Back when this kit was first issued in the ‘60’s, there was a major fit issue with the hood/engine cowling. Subsequently reissues like this one contain a corrected hood, or so they say. We’ll soon find out.

I plan to build this one as it is on the box art, original colors. Maybe will try to save as much of the original chrome plating parts as possible for nostalgia’s sake. But don’t hold me to it. Just depends on how much of it I can salvage.

IMG_5822.jpeg

I'm in, Craig.

I think one model RR manufacturer still does. I just ordered parts and they showed up in about 5 days. Most others don't even keep a parts inventory.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

8 minutes ago, Canute said:

I'm in, Craig.

I think one model RR manufacturer still does. I just ordered parts and they showed up in about 5 days. Most others don't even keep a parts inventory.

Tichy, Kadee, Accurail, there are a few. 

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

So much for my thoughts of using the chrome parts. There was too much flash in places, and too many sprue attachment points to deal with. It would have ended up a patched up, mixed up mixture of chrome plating and Molotov ink touchups. I believe that in the long run, carefully cleaning up all the plastic pieces, assembling, then painting the assemblies with Alclad chrome will give much better results.

Here are the plastic trees all stripped down. Will begin the tedious chore of removing all the parts and cleaning them up for assembly and painting.

IMG_5824.jpeg

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Will begin the tedious chore of removing all the parts and cleaning them up for assembly and painting.

I spy some small amount of twist to that frame as well, definitely old molds... ('88 pressing notwithstanding, it's still the molds from the early 70's)

I'm sure you can handle it....

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

4 minutes ago, Egilman said:

... it's still the molds from the early 70's ...

I wish.  Try the early 60's.  I think the frame of mine was a bit iffy way back then and they don't 'heal' with time.

🌻

STAY SAFE

current builds:

1 minute ago, bruce d said:

Try the early 60's

I know that, mine was the early 70's pressing, which had a similar problem.... (eveil grin)

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Invested several hours into cleaning up these parts and assembling the engine/blower components. The chassis is straight as an arrow. Only the belly pan has a twist in it but that can be straightened out.

Will assemble the entire chassis before doing any painting as the whole unit is chrome. Will be using Alclad chrome this time. The blower assembly, valve covers and oil pan are chrome as well. Guess what color for the engine? Bingo! It’s orange. 😀

There’s a whole lotta’ flash on these parts!

IMG_5828.jpeg

I should mention, if you ever decide to build one of these old kits, particularly the older Revell kits like this one, do yourself a big favor and cut off the locating pins and tabs. Use a flat file to sand the mating surfaces level and eyeball the parts fit rather than depend on the locating pins and tabs. Thet are way out of alignment much of the time and are a hinderance rather than help.  

For a set of molds this old, Revell put a lot detail in their creation. One part that is very strange is the fact they molded a nicely detailed suspension and rear end, but omitted an axle housing. I’ve cut a section of styrene tubing that’s now serving as a spacer to keep the correct distance and alignment of the disk brakes while the glue sets up on the assembly. If there was a reason you never saw many of these old Revell street and drag strip rods finished, it’s because of the amount of time required to clean up the parts and then the assembly of them is very fiddly. I have no less than six hours invested in this so far, probably closer to seven.

IMG_5831.jpeg

IMG_5830.jpeg

IMG_5829.jpeg

Either of the raised white letter slicks might look good (with or without whitewalls). Do you have to rush to get the tires mounted? Can you wait until the body and frame are painted and partly assembled, or, at least, mocked up? It might give you a better idea how things might look, rather than guessing now and being unhappy with it later.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

22 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

Either of the raised white letter slicks might look good (with or without whitewalls). Do you have to rush to get the tires mounted? Can you wait until the body and frame are painted and partly assembled, or, at least, mocked up? It might give you a better idea how things might look, rather than guessing now and being unhappy with it later.

Andy

Oh sure, no rush on a decision at all at this stage. The wheels can go on last.

1 hour ago, realworkingsailor said:

Andy

I agree with Andy, it's not time to make this decision yet..... The only issue I had with the kit tires was that they were shiny vinyl in my version of the kit, they needed to be dulled down a bit without discoloring the black vinyl...

Quote:

Nicely done. That kit has a ton of detail, Craig.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Just in case you were wondering about it, the Orange Crate engine is a tricked-out Oldsmobile built to 418 cubic inches, a front mounted Potvin blower with Hilborn fuel injection. B&M hydro transmission. The engine is said to have produced 600 horsepower. The article that I learned this information from said the engine was from a late model Oldsmobile but did not specify what particular engine or the year model of it. Suffice it to say the time period the article was written was very early 1960's. So, it can be reasonably assumed the engine was anywhere from 1959 to 1962 vintage.

Edited by CDW

Looking good.  That does appear to be a fairly intricate chassis.

You are getting a lot of mileage out of the sawhorses.  Hope you are not having to pay royalties to @yvesvidal for that idea :)

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

3 hours ago, CDW said:

Just in case you were wondering about it, the Orange Crate engine is a tricked-out Oldsmobile built to 418 cubic inches, ......

A little further into the story, it wasn't just a show rod, it started it's career as a track runner, it took the '61 Winternationals, both on the track and the rod show afterwards, took the America's Best Competition Car trophy at the '61 Oakland Roadster Show and was the cover car of the Feb. '62 issue of Hot Rod Magazine...

It ran at the '62 Winternationals as well then went on a nationwide tour as America's Best Competition Car winner once it won for the second consecutive time at the Oakland Roadster Show... (it was after the US tour that Revell asked for and got the measurements for the model)

In '63, it made it's last appearance at the Oakland Roadster Show and won it's third consecutive trophy as America's Best Competition Car at which point it was retired...

It resided at the owners custom car shop for a number of years before it was sold off....

It is truly an American classic.... (both the car and the model)

Quote: