1932 Ford Sedan “The Orange Crate” Custom Show Rod by CDW - FINISHED - Revell - 1:25 scale

CDW

Amen Brother... But if you really wanted to date it, make up a gallon can of "Marvel Mystery Oil" Every shop worth it's salt in the '60's had one, or several sitting on the shelf....

OH, and STP stickers, gotta have the STP..... {chuckle}

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

My granddaughter has an Infinity G37. It developed a misfire, so we called our mobile mechanic to come out and have a look about it. He plugged in his tablet/laptop where he could make a complete diagnosis on the spot, then repair the problem. I watched him shut down each cylinder one at a time at the touch of the screen, and as he did I was thinking to myself, imagine if we could have done all that back then...I remember piddling around most all night on the roadside trying to diagnose a misfire on my '64 Chevy Nova back in 1979. 

If you remember back, all of us semi-shade tree mechanics had a helper, usually a small screwdriver.. The kind you kept in your shirt pocket... (the ones with the pen clip on the handle) Mine was kept in my tool box in the trunk... We used it for checking spark out of the distributor... and anything else you would need a little driver for... But mainly it was for diagnosing misfire/spark plug issues.... Pull the boot off the plug, insert the driver and hold it next to ground and crank the engine... Locate your misfire within minutes.... Usually a bad plug wire.... Occasionally a badly carboned up plug.... Sometimes a bad distributor cap.... That's why I always had an ignition set in the trunk as well...

Just once by the side of the road was enough for me...

The stuff they can do today is amazing....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

1 hour ago, Egilman said:

... everything else except the labels are period correct for the 60's....

The chair and extension reel look too modern (IMHO) but the drill is a perfect fit for the 1960's.

I will just remind myself that this is not my model before saying anything more.   

It should be an interesting project. 

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

The chair is fine, '60's modern, it has four feet not five and the protective cover on the back of the seat back covering the hinge... Right in that era.... the Extension yeah might have an '80's feel to it, the '60's version was more skeletonized/utilitarian, but rest assured we had them.... usually 50ft 12-3 stranded with a 4 gang plug in box wired to the end.... Sometimes they were more of a headache than they were worth...

Quote:

52 minutes ago, Egilman said:

If you remember back, all of us semi-shade tree mechanics had a helper, usually a small screwdriver.. The kind you kept in your shirt pocket... (the ones with the pen clip on the handle) Mine was kept in my tool box in the trunk... We used it for checking spark out of the distributor... and anything else you would need a little driver for... But mainly it was for diagnosing misfire/spark plug issues.... Pull the boot off the plug, insert the driver and hold it next to ground and crank the engine... Locate your misfire within minutes.... Usually a bad plug wire.... Occasionally a badly carboned up plug.... Sometimes a bad distributor cap.... That's why I always had an ignition set in the trunk as well...

Just once by the side of the road was enough for me...

The stuff they can do today is amazing....

On the particular instance I referred to, it turned out to be a bad condenser. Until then, I never had one act like that. Usually when they failed, you got no spark at all, not a misfire.

24 minutes ago, CDW said:

On the particular instance I referred to, it turned out to be a bad condenser. Until then, I never had one act like that. Usually when they failed, you got no spark at all, not a misfire.

Oh yeah, point ignition... I remember... By that time I was already an HEI advocate, I would convert every old engine I could over to it.... The only way the ignition failed was a bad module or burnt cap....

Quote:

1 hour ago, bruce d said:

The chair and extension reel look too modern (IMHO) but the drill is a perfect fit for the 1960's.

I will just remind myself that this is not my model before saying anything more.   

It should be an interesting project. 

There is no one garage scene that's going to fit all eras. Just ain't gonna happen. As it turns out, I love model cars from the 1920's all the way up through current era. Not going to build four or five garage displays to fit all occasions. I think the best approach may be to build as modern then we could pretend an old car is inside a modern garage, but a new car inside an old garage would be weird.

40 minutes ago, CDW said:

There is no one garage scene that's going to fit all eras. Just ain't gonna happen.

Agree, an absolute truism... BUT... I've seen a lot of very cool iron come out of the backyard shanty garage... Those were the days of sky's the limit, a tarp strung between a couple of trees would suffice... {chuckle}

Quote:

1 hour ago, Egilman said:

Agree, an absolute truism... BUT... I've seen a lot of very cool iron come out of the backyard shanty garage... Those were the days of sky's the limit, a tarp strung between a couple of trees would suffice... {chuckle}

I watched my big brother and his friends do it all the time at our house. All of them had street rods when I grew up. That was my education on mechanics. They would let the kid hand around as long as I kept my mouth shut and helped out when they asked me to help.

Same here, I got my start on my Uncle's '38 rat rod....

Quote:

The A/A sounds about right but it might have been AA/A due to the blower.  There were similar rules for the Top Fuel and a few other classes.   I'll have to do some digging when I get a bit of time to find the details.   Could be that AA's was later but need to research.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

The A/A sounds about right but it might have been AA/A due to the blower.  There were similar rules for the Top Fuel and a few other classes.   I'll have to do some digging when I get a bit of time to find the details.   Could be that AA's was later but need to research.

As I recall, AA represented blown nitro as opposed to A, blown gas, but I could be mistaken.

Quick bit of Googling later....   https://www.draglist.com/artman2/publish/danny_white/Pro_Comp_AA_A_Photo_History_Part_One.shtml

There were/are several types of AA/ cars... Altereds, Funny cars, etc. and the designations have changed over the decades.  So with this one.... A or AA would probably be period correct depending on fuel and exactly when as things changed sometimes pretty quickly.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

7 minutes ago, CDW said:

As I recall, AA represented blown nitro as opposed to A, blown gas, but I could be mistaken.

I think again it's dependent on year/era specific.  I have vague recollections of AA/Stock which was gas not nitro.  I wish my memory was better for these side trips down memory lane.... <sigh>

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

29 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Quick bit of Googling later....   https://www.draglist.com/artman2/publish/danny_white/Pro_Comp_AA_A_Photo_History_Part_One.shtml

There were/are several types of AA/ cars... Altereds, Funny cars, etc. and the designations have changed over the decades.  So with this one.... A or AA would probably be period correct depending on fuel and exactly when as things changed sometimes pretty quickly.

It all gets foggy over time. There have been so many changes and variations. 

/A stands for altered, slash, type class/Altered...

It's where gas/fuel dragsters went after '56... Consider it the unlimited class for dragsters... Anything goes class... Prior to this all Gas, Alcohol & Nitro dragsters ran based upon their body type classifications, Hot Roadster, Fuel Coupé, and Fuel Sedan... It is where some moderate alteration to the basic car was allowed... Moving the engine to a different location, altering the wheelbase, chopping and channeling made the car at least 25% different from a stock configuration... Essentially you could do anything you wanted to and fit the altered classification... Couldn't do this in the Gasser class, the car had to be basically a stock frame/body

Originally there were three classes of cars, A, B & C which were weight classes based upon Cu In... A was a car that weighed roughly 7 lbs per Cu displacement... B and C were lower weight classes as well.... AA, BB & CC was the same thing except for blown engine cars... 

Altered's were essentially stock gas, alcohol, or nitromethane-class cars with parts removed or changed, making them ineligible for the previous classes... They were also known as the "poor mans dragster"

You had A, B & C classes and AA, BB & CC for the blown engined cars...

This was before 1957 when the NHRA blew it all up by banning Nitromethane in all classes as a fuel as just too dangerous for the hardware... They moved nitro towards the newly created class of Funnies, (eventually Funny Cars) and Rail Dragsters and away from the common everyman drag classes.... AHRA kept nitro in the fuel class but introduced TFE, Top Fuel Eliminator to the class to kinda balance the competition... The independent drag strips filled the gap by creating the whole class called Altereds....

Look up the U.S. Fuel and Gas Championship at Famoso Raceway in March 1959.... The first drag championship for Altereds.... (wasn't sanctioned by either NHRA or AHRA, but the altered's had to go somewhere so they created their own championship) Bob Hansen won the first Top Fuel Eliminator (TFE) in his A/HR, with a speed of 136 mph (219 km/h). All this was before funny cars became a thing....

Back in those days you would see class designations like FC, HR & FD... (Fuel Coupe, Hot Roadster & Fuel Dragster) in NHRA & AHRA...

in the independents you had A/A, B/A & C/A with AA/A, BB/A and CC/A for the superchargers....

after banning Nitromethane in all street/stock classes, NHRA moved nitro towards the newly created class of Funnies, (eventually Funny Cars) and Rail Dragsters and away from the common everyman drag classes.... AHRA kept nitro in the fuel class but introduced TFE, Top Fuel Eliminator to the class to kinda balance the competition... The independent drag strips filled the gap by creating the whole new class called Altereds.... (you would see classes designated like Supercharged A fuel altereds, or AA/FAs for short, or stuff like B/Econo Altered for racing in Competition Eliminator... (it got real class crazy there for a while) It was up to the individual sanctioning body, (or race track) to inspect and decide what class your car would race in.... There were so many different classifications based upon opinion that some days you were the quickest in class, but come back the next day and you would be classed so you were the slowest in class... It made for a lot of angry car owners...

Today they are all encompassed in the eliminator classes and everything falls into an eliminator class... Gassers, Fuel dragsters, Pro Street etc etc.... Funny Cars are a separate class as is Top Fuel... it makes a lot more sense today and is a lot fairer this way...

Quote:

Excellent work  Craig.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Beautiful work, Craig.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

A Beautiful rendition of a forgotten piece of Hot Rod history, and the trips down memories lane my friend....

Well done... VERY well done....

Quote: