Frigate USS United States 1789 by threebs - 1:72

I love this ship so I wish you joy of it! I will be building one at some point but my build log is a bit full right now! Can I ask where you got your references? I have been trolling both the national archives and the Philadelphia Historical Society to try and get more information on her.

Smithsonian Institute.  The website in the second photo is out of date, but it brings you to one that where you can order the catalog.  I think it is 25.00 bucks now.  Many of the warships of the US Navy from 1789 to 1860 are in this catalog.  I do not remember where I got the deck plans by C. Ware.  If you want, for the cost of postage and having my print shop guys copy it in this scale (1/72), I will send it to you.  you can email me at gabe3105659@gmail.com with an address.  Should be about 3 bucks for the copy and 5 or so for postage.   https://americanhistory.si.edu/about/departments/work-and-industry/ship-plans.   I had a similar request on one of my facebook groups and found this website.  I remembered this after posting, so I edited it.  Had to edit yet again, thought this forum might be of interest to you.  

IMG_2288.JPG

IMG_2290.JPG

IMG_3074.JPG

IMG_3075.JPG

IMG_3077.JPG

IMG_3078.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3080.JPG

IMG_3081.JPG

Edited by threebs
added website info and forum info

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here I have posted photos of the hull of the United States, (1/72 scale). One side is perhaps 90% done with a few imperfections needing to be fixed. The other side shows it with a thin coat of wood filler. You can compare the sides to see the difference. The hull below the water line must be as smooth as I can make it. The reason is the copper adhesive backed tape I use for the plating is extremely thin and the plank seems would show otherwise. You would not see the seems through the copper on the real ship. I have included photos of the tape.

IMG_3241.JPG

IMG_3242.JPG

IMG_3243.JPG

IMG_3245.JPG

IMG_3246.JPG

IMG_3247.JPG

IMG_3248.JPG

IMG_3249.JPG

IMG_3251.JPG

IMG_3252.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...