White lettering decals..How?

I need to do white letters on a black background for my ship's name. I can see how i can print black letters on clear decal papers and I have seen white decal paper but can't see how I could print white letters. 

I've been searching the forum and I'm sure it's in here somewhere but would really appreciate some help.

Bill

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wmherbert said:

I have seen white decal paper but can't see how I could print white letters.

You can do it in graphics software (Paint would do).

Create the text you want.

wmherbert1.png.0ae3d9408e9d26a011168ab2e0dd77c8.png

Then invert the colours.

wmherbert2.png.c7b494e66a1b31d493b3cd6b23ff6a70.png

You can change the background colour to suit and trim to the size you need.

Print to the white decal paper.

Edited by iMustBeCrazy

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

Thanks.

When printed you would have white letters on a black background around the letters right? So you would trim a rectangle around the letters and the black background would go over the black on the model.  Does that show up against the model black paint? Do you seal it?

Bill

Posted (edited)

If you print them yourself  you will be dealing with a dark outline of some sort no matter what, as well as something that will be very difficult to trim and match your back-ground color.

If it's black you may be able to get a good match.

How big are the letters?

Here is a possible solution.

Letter Number Decals for different scales Model Kits White/Black

Edited by Gregory

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

24 minutes ago, wmherbert said:

Does that show up against the model black paint? Do you seal it?

Yes you would need to match your back ground. Testors has a decal set solution that seals the water slide decals. 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/374334234531?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=KeHuW5tjTry&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=saHjlWAtSV-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

Another possible option, if you think you can do an acceptable job of hand-drawing the letters.   See post #40 of this non-ship log...

In that post, @CDW refers to a white gel pen.  He used it for logos on tires but perhaps something like that could be used to draw the letters, either directly onto the model, or perhaps draw them on to clear decal paper and then apply as a decal.   That way you would not have to match the background but the edge of the clear decal sheet may still show, especially if the surface the decal is applied to is not smooth and glossy.  Applying a matte clear coat may help hide the decal.

- Gary

Current Build: Artesania Latina Sopwith Camel

Completed Builds: Blue Jacket America 1/48th  Annapolis Wherry

2 hours ago, wmherbert said:

When printed you would have white letters on a black background around the letters right?

Yes.

So you would trim a rectangle around the letters and the black background would go over the black on the model.

Yes.

Does that show up against the model black paint?

It can. To minimise this you can change the shade of black, change the colour to make it look intensional, put a border to make it look like a sign. Lots of options.

wmherbert3.png.ab3cc981491a0b7c25d5b37b2f709a14.pngwmherbert4.png.7e9799099eabc87b5681703bafa1094c.png

Do you seal it?

Check with the decal manufacturer.

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

Here is another option using rub-on letters as stencils.

1. Get some rub-on letters in the desired font and size. Color doesn't matter.

2. Paint an area with the desired letter color (white for example). Let the paint dry thoroughly.

3. Rub on the letters, placing them carefully, of course.

4. Paint over it all with the background color (black, for example).

5. Let the paint dry.

6. Use tape to remove the rub-on letters.

Now you have white letters on the black background (or whatever colors you use). There is no decal film around the letters, and they are only as thick as a layer of paint. The lettering will not yellow as decals do over time.

I have been using this process for many years, and other that getting the rub-on letters aligned properly it is pretty simple.

Woodland Scenics makes nice dry rub lettering/numbering in different sizes/fonts.  I used it white lettering on a dark blue background on my 2 builds (one is posted on here, the other I didn't do a log but will post pics when done). 

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/DecalLetters

The model railway guys have the same problem and different manufacturers offer rub-on lettering and decals.

Some of the above manufacturers also offer custom decals or rub-on lettering.

In the model railway sector you can also find 3D-lettering in polystyrene, which can be pre-painted, assembled on some sticky tape and the cemented to the name-board using clear varnish. Once set the sticky tape can be removed and the white paint on the letters touched up if needed.

Freehand-painting would be a challenge (at least for me) but can done. Draw the lettering with pencil, perhaps using one of those old-fashioned lettering-templates and then begin to construct the letters inside-out. One can always touch up with black paint and then pull everything together with varnish.

There are also old-fashioned lettering pens for working with the mentioned templates that could be used with white pigmented ink or very dilute acrylic paint.

If you are not so sure-handed with the brush, e.g. Faber Castell (Pitt Artist Pen Brush) makes pigmented markers with a fine brush-like tip in many colours, including white. However, the coverage of white is not so dense and may require repeated applications with the risk of messing it up.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

I ran into the same thing when I built the Andrea Gail.  I had bought the Testor's 'Decal it' program:  DECAL-SYSTEM    with this program, you can make decals from the list they supply, but with the add on for it, you can import graphics and print them.  

7.jpg.5768f50e9d9f8bcf8301cb827f5d899f.jpg

using white decal paper, I made up the name and transom decals.  since the A.G. was painted in Emerald Green,  I was able to change the background color to blend in with the hull.  colors can be changed to anything in the spectrum,  as long as your printer can handle it.  at the time I did this, the only printers I knew of that could do white, were the alps printers.  very few printers on the market were non cartridge printers.  many new ones have come out since then.  paint shop can do this as well.........I'm not sure of the color spectrum though,  but it is a little harder to gauge the sizing of the decal.  metallic colors can't be done with either program

7.jpg.ac003aa2bdaf0d40e96a136cc19930ca.jpg

hope this helps you.......black isn't too hard to deal with :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

one thing I forgot to mention.........once you print the decals,  they need to be sprayed with a product called decal bonder,  which is sold by Testor's as well.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Here are some words of caution about do it yourself decals. I have prepared quite a few over the years - and white has always been a problem!

There are decal papers for ink jet printers and laser printers.

Ink Jet printers: The inks are water soluble, and that can be a problem with water slide decals! You may need to coat the printed decal with a clear finish before using.

Laser printers: These can produce decals that do not have water soluble inks and do not have to be coated before using.

CAUTION CAUTION CAUTION!

Laser printers have a heated "fuser" that literally melts the toners (ink powders) onto the paper. Some printers caution about using any paper with a clear shiny coating (glossy photo papers, decal papers, etc.). The fuser may melt the coating, DESTROYING THE FUSER!

I speak from experience! I used a glossy "laser printer" photo paper on a very nice Samsung laser printer and afterward it wouldn't print correctly. The fuser had glossy goop on it that prevented it from picking up the toner. Then I learned that printer didn't have a replaceable fuser (every other laser printer I have owned did have a user replaceable fuser). The entire $600 printer was junk.

I replaced it with a Brother "laser" printer that has a replaceable fuser. But it really isn't a laser printer - it has a 600 dpi LED bar to expose the image onto the fuser. It has a VERY hot fuser that melts the glue on envelopes! I contacted Brother about whether it could be used with laser decal papers and the advice was NO! No glossy or non-paper materials at all.

I have printed decals on other laser printers in the past with no problem. Recently I printed some color decals at the nearby FedEx Office Store. They used a laser printer that was OK for decals. However, I was trying to match the colors on an object, and the FedEx printer produced different colors from what I get printing draft test sheets at home on paper. I eventually found  RGB colors that would print the desired colors on the FedEx printer.

Check your printer's manual to see what materials they recommend (or don't) for printing on.

• 1 month later...