Ahoy from Southwest Arizona

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone,

My name is Robert, and I'm excited to join this fantastic community of model ship builders! I have a diverse background in fields such as geology, carpentry, mechanics, IT, and prop-making for the film industry. Recently, I have developed a passion for model ship building.

My journey into this hobby began with a love for intricate craftsmanship and a fascination with maritime history. With experience in 3D printing and design, I'm eager to explore how these modern techniques can enhance traditional shipbuilding methods. My time as a Journeyman Propmaker for IATSE Local 44, building movie sets for big production companies, has honed my attention to detail and creative problem-solving skills.

I'm looking forward to diving into discussions, learning from all of you, and sharing my projects and insights. Whether it's constructing a detailed galleon, a sleek yacht, or a historical warship, I'm thrilled to be part of a community that shares this unique and rewarding interest.

I'm here to exchange ideas, offer advice, and, most importantly, connect with fellow enthusiasts who are as passionate about model ship building as I am. Let's create something extraordinary together!

Fair winds and happy building,

Robert

Edited by CaptainBlackbeard
Wrong grammar

Welcome to the forum, mate !!!  These's much to see and learn, so dive in and enjoy!

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

Robert, welcome to MSW. Glad to have you aboard. 

Current Builds: 1880s Floating Steam Donkey Pile Driver 

Wood Hull Screw Frigate USS Tennessee

Decorative Carrack Warship Restoration, the Amelia

Completed: Early Swift 1805 Model Restoration

:722972270:

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

:sign:

Bob M.     :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:         The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,   Amati } Hannah Ship in a Bottle:Santa Maria : LA  Pinta : La Nana : The Mayflower : Viking Ship Drakkar  The King Of the Mississippi  Artesania Latina  1:80 

Current Build: Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston-Vanguard Models :)

Welcome aboard!

Long ago, in a childhood far, far away (1960's), I once had an uncle who lived in Tempe, Az. I always enjoyed the trips to Tempe when we went to visit once per year.      

"The journey of a thousand miles is only the beginning of a thousand journeys!"

Current Build;

1776 Gunboat Philadelphia, Navy-Board Style, Scratch Build 1:24 Scale

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

In dry dock;

Scratch Build of USS Constitution... on hold until further notice, if any.

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

Corel HMS Victory Cross Section kit "BASH"... being neglected!

2 hours ago, tmj said:

Long ago, in a childhood far, far away (1960's), I once had an uncle who lived in Tempe, Az.

I was born in Tucson while my Dad was stationed at Davis-Monthan, so technically I'm a native Arizonan, though I was only two months old when we moved to California, and I've only been to Arizona one other time since then. But, hey, connections, dontcha know. 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, ccoyle said:

my Dad was stationed at Davis-Monthan

As a young lad, I used to dream about someday visiting Davis-Monthan and coming home with a an F4U, a P40 or a P51... then I found out what those things actually cost to purchase, restore and maintain, and I quickly woke up! 😮  

Edited by tmj

"The journey of a thousand miles is only the beginning of a thousand journeys!"

Current Build;

1776 Gunboat Philadelphia, Navy-Board Style, Scratch Build 1:24 Scale

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

In dry dock;

Scratch Build of USS Constitution... on hold until further notice, if any.

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

Corel HMS Victory Cross Section kit "BASH"... being neglected!

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)