Hi from Montreal

Nick 843

Hi to all.  Just joined here and want to introduce myself.

Vanguard's Indefatigable arrives today, so that's a major reason for me joining, although I also have a couple of non-wood ship models on the go.

I do a fair amount of non-wood modeling: plastic and resin, and including aircraft and armor.  I also do some non-model woodworking stuff.  None of this is meant to suggest that I'm good at it BTW.

As far as Indefatigable is concerned, it will be my first wood model.  So yes, I'm an enthusiastic noob who has  overreached in terms of skill level, which is cautioned against in a post I read the other day about choosing your first ship model.  I've seen the stats, but I'm going in aware of the challenge and betting that I'll see it through; feel free to lay your own bets on it LOL.

I grew up on Hornblower and Aubrey and the period's history.  I came across the Indy kit when a YouTube vid popped up about a week ago; by a YouTuber with the moniker Modelkit Stuff who did a full unboxing video.  The kit looked amazing.  I checked it out a bit more and bought it within a day or so.

Anyway, I'm not thinking this will be a breeze.  I bought in the knowledge that I have a serious learning curve on any number of aspects but it will be a while before I get to the first of them, so I can learn (at least in theory) in the meantime.  I figure, on going through the construction manual (which is terrific) for a second time now (and slower than the first jump through), that I can get to around step 126 before hitting anything totally unfamiliar.  In saying all of this and the last part in particular, I sure don't want to sound arrogant.  I know the learning curve will be steep in various areas, and I'm sure I'll hit some difficulties and be scratching my head more than a few time, never mind the aspects as to which I'm completely ignorant.  For steps 1-125,  I only mean that those steps involve stuff that is generally familiar, with the exception that the medium is wood rather than plastic or resin; I don't mean that I dismiss it all as simple.  If I get through them there will still be 821 steps for me to mess up, not to mention masting and rigging.

I don't know what my timeline will be, although with Winter not far off and outdoor activities already tapering off, I'll have plenty of time between now and next Spring (not saying I'll necessarily finish by then).

Cheers everyone.

Nick 843

Welcome! And have fun with this enormous monster :D  the quality of the kit looks great. As a beginner, one of the biggest challenges is the shear amount of work building a ship of this magnitude implies, and how to deal with that. Personally I think the difficulty is quite steep yes, but as you already discovered...the manual is really good and Chris his designs are really great. But...I wish you a lot of succes with this one :P 

You can always pause the build and do a small ship in between, to refine you're skills... would that be nessecary. :) 

Currently working on the HMS Sphinx from Vanguard Models

Welcome aboard, Nick, from the author of the post you referenced! As I wrote in that post, it is not unheard of for a newcomer to our hobby to finish a project on the order of Indy, but it is rare. Nevertheless, you sound like you are well aware of the challenge ahead, and you will find as much help as you need here at MSW.

Good luck on your project!

P.S. You'll see in their signatures that many of our members also dabble in modeling subjects other than ships!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Bf 109E-7/trop

:sign:

Bob M.

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:         The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,   Amati } Hannah Ship in a Bottle:Santa Maria : LA  Pinta : La Nana : The Mayflower : Viking Ship Drakkar  The King Of the Mississippi  Artesania Latina  1:80 

Current Build: Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston-Vanguard Models :)

Nick, welcome to MSW. Glad to have you aboard. 

Current Builds: 1880s Floating Steam Donkey Pile Driver 

Wood Hull Screw Frigate USS Tennessee

Decorative Carrack Warship Restoration, the Amelia

Completed: Early Swift 1805 Model Restoration

Welcome (or should I say bienvenue!) Nick! I'm jealous of your Indy - such a beautiful kit! 

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Welcome Nick

5 hours ago, Nick 843 said:

Thanks Glen!

A maybe at this point on a build log.  I wouldn't want anyone thinking that I have any experience or knowledge in wooden ships to offer.  But then again maybe a sort of abbreviated log identified as coming from a newbie on particular issues.  We'll see.

You should still do one. It is the best way to get help as you go along. I also personally found the practice of documenting my build kept me motivated when I got bogged down in the middle. The help and feedback I got on my log made my first model way better than it ever  could have been had I just done it on my own.

As others have said you have picked a lot of ship for your first build and I would still advise you to pick something smaller to try first (Vanguard has some really nice cutters). But at the end of the day you need to be interested in your subject or you will never finish it.

Good luck.

3 hours ago, Thukydides said:

Welcome Nick

You should still do one. It is the best way to get help as you go along. I also personally found the practice of documenting my build kept me motivated when I got bogged down in the middle. The help and feedback I got on my log made my first model way better than it ever  could have been had I just done it on my own.

Good luck.

Thukydides is right. You will get all kinds of help from other members if you log it.

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)