America by popeye the sailor - FINISHED - Billing Boats - 1:72 scale

thanks John......I guess  'spur of the moment'  thoughts always work best :)

thanks Bob......I don't need anything for the AmericA.....as a mater of fact,  I have to make a change with the light boxes  {wait till you see what they look like}.  it just so happens that I have lights this size fo it....so I'm all set there.   this seems to be another ship that only requires one anchor.   they have it set up like........the chain comes out of the fairlead on the deck......chain and anchor just lays on the deck......doesn't sound right.   I'm going to look at some pictures and see if I can see how it's set up.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Excellent work on the fittings Popeye, that skylight is a real treat my friend :)

Thanks too for letting us in on your secret to making beautiful models: SPINACH  ;)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Looking very good, popeye - nice looking yacht!  Have you seen the article by Erik Ronnberg at http://www.afanews.com/articles/articles/fitz-henry-lanes-yacht-america-from-three-views-vessel-portrait-or-artistss-concept#.UTFrIzfld8F ?

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Marvelous skylight Popeye.  Looks great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks Mark.....I have a similar one on the Gothenborg.....now I know what to do with it.  ;)

I haven't  seen that Wayne.......thanks for linking it to me :)

as if there was anything elsa Aldo.......I don't eat an apple a day............LOL! ;)   :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hello Popeye,

You are busy ..... Had some catching up to do here.

Fantastic job on the fittings, it looks great. And so do the decals.

It's really a treat following this build.

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

thank you very much Anja.....I am really enjoying this build.   I had contacted Billing's to see about getting another decal sheet,   after ruining the eagle for the stern.   I came home today and found the envelope on my desk.

post-612-0-26402700-1362451248.jpg

I also cemented the skylight in place on the deck.   I was kind of hesitant about gluing the dome on the base.....I thought that the CA might cloud the window maker.   though I was very sparing with how much I used,  I found that it wasn't affected by it.

post-612-0-06614600-1362451411.jpg

before I stopped for the evening,  I did add one more bit for the deck......the aft boom horse at the stern.  I don't recall the proper name for this part.

post-612-0-96653900-1362451530.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That is looking sweet Popeye! The skylight is looking fantastic in it's place. I'd like to see the eagle decal in place and that's not to mention the quick turn-around on getting the replacement.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

LOOKING GOOD POPEYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Good work Popeye, your deck looks fantastic.

Did you start your build of the Gothenburg yet? You know, some years ago I visited the building site of that particular ship, quite an experience. Later on, I also applied to be part of her crew during a trip from Sweden to China. Sadly enough, I didn´t make the cut.

/Alfons

Edited by Alfons

Current Build: Gloucester Fishing Schooner - Blue Jacket - Scale 1:48

Next Project: Riva Aquamarine - Amati

thanks Patrick........when the eagle has landed........i"ll post a peek ;)  first I'll spray them with the decal bonder,  so I don't lose it again!

thanks Mario.....looking forward in seeing another of your fantastic builds :)

thanks John......now why didn't I think of that...I can be terrible with terms and names,  and of course,  the instructions don't give them to you either.   you'll make a well seasoned sailor outta me yet  :)

thanks Alfons......yes, I've started the Gothenborg build.....putting it all back in.   I did a lot of bashing to the stern....I couldn't stand those closed up windows.  I'm going to try and put more in today.....planking, and more on the stern.  again,  I thank the folks who supplied me with pictures of the ship.....they have been invaluable in putting some of the extra detail in there.......I just hope I can do as well with the rigging.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

As always your detailing is great.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Top notch details, Popeye.  What did you use for the aft boom horse?  Looks like 1/16" music wire.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

thanks Bob........had some pressing thing to do yesterday........but I'll get the whip crack'in today ;)

no Augie.......just the brass wire that was supplied in the kit.   I haven't had to add anything....it's a super kit.   it even looks like there's enough sail material........not sure....I have to map them out.   I'll have an update soon.  thanks for the good word.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I think I had better take that back.   I was looking through my fittings....having the masts ready for assembly,  and I noticed a few things.   the majority of the blocks supplied in the kit,  are single blocks.   I found one 5mm double block.......I think there should be at least six of them.  these should be for the boom lifts......one set for each mast,  as well as the one for the aft horse {on other kit pictures,  there were two sets here}.   I went on a hunt to find other rigging diagrams for the ship,  but so far it's been a bust.

I will have progress shortly,  to show the block layout I have done so far.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Darn it Popeye.  You've been plagued by deadeye and now block problems.  Ah well, you're not alone.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

it's not a big problem Augie........just a few thing that don't add up.   same goes with the shrouds......on the main mast,  they show three shrouds........I'm going to put the extra one in.......since there are two steps to the main mast......it sounds logical.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Popeye,

I see that this is my first post at this build?

How can that happened…….

I missed something.

As usual great job!

Sjors

She's coming along very nicely with some great detail there Pop-eye.  I can help you out with a nautical dictionary mate, but that would take  alot of the fun out of your posts :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I have seen some drawings.....but they are inconclusive to me John.   I am going with the double blocks for the boom lifts,  and I am going to add a third shroud for the main mast {it seems logical that it should have them}.  pictures I've of a Mamoli kit shows that it doesn't even have a main sheet horse........just two sets of double block pulleys.....one port and one starboard.   seeing that I already have the horse in place....I'm going to leave it.......I'll see how it looks.

that's funny Pat........I need all the help I can get!  I's a landlubber,  don't forget.......:)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

well.....anyway.....I have not been idle.   I would have liked to see more done,  but I did as much as I could fit in.  

to start of with..........the eagle has landed!   I sprayed the decal sheet with bonder,  and I affixed the eagle in place.

post-612-0-68947100-1362714794.jpg

post-612-0-60576400-1362714803.jpg

blocks were set in place at the aft section of the deck

post-612-0-40790100-1362714891.jpg

the fore mast has already been painted with clear gloss to bring out the wood grain,  and fitting are in place.  the tripple block and the double block is in place as well.

post-612-0-75680800-1362715025.jpg

blocks were placed at the fore section

post-612-0-95724900-1362715062.jpg

the main mast was fitted and painted as well....when it was dry,  it too was cemented in place.

post-612-0-19957500-1362715136.jpg

the only fittings left to put on.....are the cleats for the main mast.

post-612-0-51511700-1362715200.jpg

I did forget one little thing though.........can you say..........mast hoops :blush:

the fore mast was easy.......all i had to do was remove the triple block.   but,  for the main mast.....it was a bigger project.   I had to remove the mast and the mast step,  in order to put them on.

footnote:  no model was harmed in this process ;)

post-612-0-12665100-1362715513.jpg

post-612-0-01706100-1362715527.jpg

the hoops were wired to hold them at the top of the mast,  so it could be cemented back in place and the cleats installed.  the booms have to be done......and then,  I guess I'll have to bring out the sewing machine again.......I be mak'in sheet! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Neat fix, Popeye. Shapin' up

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

thanks Augie..........I almost forgot......I have to get the rudder on there too!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looks like another  winner for POPEYE the sailor man !! Nice popeye...... real  nice.

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Clean and slick.. she looks fast and well kept, Popeye. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)