Francis Pritt by Jim Lad - FINISHED - Scale 1:48 - Australian Mission Ship

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more work has now been done on the 'Pritt'.  Both mastheads are now festooned with blocks and the spars are just about ready to rig, so next time I'm in at the museum I should be able to start putting it all together.  After the spars are rigged there's still a bit of work to do, of course - footropes; lifebuoys; sidelights etc., but she's now starting to look like a pearler rather than just another boat. 

John

post-5-0-66785200-1480388592_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-35777000-1480388595_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-98624000-1480388586_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-40566500-1480388598_thumb.jpg

Nice work John, the blocks appear very nicely to scale.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hello John,

I found your Francis Pritt build recently (I'm new around here) and was so impressed by the quality of your work that I went back to the beginning and read all your posts.  The exacting work and care taken in your build inspires me to do better with my own modeling.  Beautiful model -very nice work.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

I got quite a bit of work done at the museum yesterday, but naturally not nearly as much as I hoped to get done.  Both booms and the mizzen gaff are now rigged, leaving only the main gaff to rig plus the running stays to set up before I can go on to the final detail.

he detail consists of the flying topmast on the main; cleaning up all the 'Irish pennants" around the boat and finally fixing the standing rigging; rope coils; sidelights; anchor rigging; lifebuoys and footropes on the main mast - the mizzen only has a couple of spars on which the lifebuoys are housed.

I've tried including some 'baggy wrinkle' on the topping lifts as this is a very prominent feature on the photos of the 'Pritt'.  After several false starts, I ended up using chenille yarn through which I sewed the lifts.  Not a perfect solution, but it looks OK on the model.  I may have to experiment further in case I want to do the same on a future model.

Some photos of the current 'state of play' are below.

John

post-5-0-73593500-1480982320_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-52797500-1480982327_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-50973000-1480982330_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-61831000-1480982337_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-77775400-1480982340_thumb.jpg

John:

Looks like you are just about there. It is looking really good.

Russ

Not far to go now John - Christmas pressie to yourself??? ;):)  She is starting to look liker a working boat now.

cheers

Pat

Very nice John. With the end almost in sight, have you decided what's next?

All dressed up and looking good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

very well done John...........never knew what a baggy winkle was.   rigging really dress's 'er up!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Not a good day at the museum yesterday; I had several splices pull in the main rigging as I put tension on the halliards.  I've never had that happen to me before so I think I must have been getting a bit lazy and complacent as I was doing the original splices.  All fixed now all the rigging is on her, so I'm pleased that I at least got that far.

Although she looks superficially finished, there's still a heck of a lot of detail work to be done on her so it'll be a little while yet before I can sit back and admire my work.

For our overseas members who may not be familiar with the design of the T.I. pearl sheller; apart from the obvious modifications for her role as a mission ship such as the removal of the diving outriggers at the mizzen mast, the conversion of the hatch into a low accommodation deckhouse and the addition of a toilet (not present in these photos); she has some unusual rigging features.  The topmast shrouds, running stays on both masts and the mainmast flag staff are all features not found on your common or garden pearl sheller.  Why the 'Pritt' had the is anybody's guess, but they show clearly in all the photos.

John

post-5-0-19865000-1481590330_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-31773200-1481590338_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-77875800-1481590341_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-65633100-1481590345_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-82797700-1481590349_thumb.jpg

John:

Although my work is well below your level of quality, I also had some lines give me trouble as I was completing my recent rigging. Yours looks fantastic.

Russ

Bad luck with those splices John; not enough tucks?  Another milestone completed and shee is looking good!  Look forward to seeing all those little details appear.

cheers

Pat

Looks very sharp John, rigging seems to give everyone a hiccup or two, you survived them it appears.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

John, She's really looking good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

it all came out in the end John.....and that's what counts  ;)   your rigging looks excellent!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 weeks later...

Another update on the 'Pritt" - I forgot to take the camera with me the previous week when I went to the museum!

She still staggers slowly towards completion.  I didn't get much done last Monday as a Public Holiday combined with a cool, overcast day (non beach weather) meant huge crowds at the museum.

All of the rope coils are now in place.  On the photos of the ship they are sometimes seen lashed up in the rigging, but I thought the deck position was a bit tidier for model presentation.  The ratlines are iron bars lashed across the shrouds, so these will take a bit of time to do - much easier simply tying thin cord across the shrouds.  The mizzen only has the three shown in the photos on each side where the lifebuoys are lashed up - I suspect that they were originally there to lash up the diving outriggers in their stowed position when she was a pearl sheller. The main has ratlines most of the way up, so there's quite a bit of work there.

The next update will be at the end of January as I have other commitments on Mondays over the next couple of weeks that will keep me away from the museum.

Here are some photos of her as she was on Monday afternoon, including a direct overhead shot just for fun.

John

post-5-0-59533000-1483475286_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-55660900-1483475297_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-90582200-1483475292_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-05643100-1483475304_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-70560900-1483475308_thumb.jpg