Francis Pritt by Jim Lad - FINISHED - Scale 1:48 - Australian Mission Ship

WOOOOO HOOOOOOO!   you masted her..........good for you!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

You,ve been hiding your progress John, ;)  She's coming along very nicely.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 2 weeks later...

About time I put up another update.  I've been making slow progress but have been somewhat distracted by some health issues that seem to be just about sorted now.

The photo that Bedford took shows her in the display case at the museum.  The spars are only temporarily placed there when I'm not working on her as they are basically nothing more than shaped sticks at the moment (well, not quite, there has been a little done).

I've now got the anchor made (it's roughly in its final stowed position in the photos) and have been working on the various mast bands.  They all need to soldered up (can't do that at the museum) but I have to firstly, find some time at home and secondly, wait for the effects of anaesthetic to wear off properly so that I can use soldering gear safely.  I also have the lower sheet blocks attached and their cleats fixed on deck plus the steering ropes are rigged, but not yet fixed in place.

As well as the soldering, I now need to make some mast hoops as I can't fit cheeks or mast bands until the hoops are over the masthead and bedded down.

By the way, the black 'thing' on the midships cabin is the mizzen boom crutch.  It tucks into the toe rail on each side near the tiller, so I had to get it properly fitted for size while there was nothing in the way around that area.

John

post-5-0-33024700-1460356332_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-90952900-1460356336_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-94824400-1460356341_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-41782100-1460356347_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-75409600-1460356344_thumb.jpg

Always good to see your progress.  Good work.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Lovely work as always John.   I do hope those health issues are only minor...   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

look'in really sweet John.........you can't rush a fine build.  ;)   hope you feel better soon.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Good to hear that the health issues are sorted John, the model looks fantastic.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Looking really trim John; hope the health is back  to normal for you soonest.

Best wishes

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

• 2 weeks later...

Great work as always John :) . I hope to see her next weekend when I pay a visit to the Museum.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

We're going on a Harbour Cruise on Friday John, and will probably take a quick look into the Museum the same day. Have to go home the same day.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Just a quick update with some rough photos of the current state of play.

The mast bands are made and fitted, although those on the mizzen need a paint touch-up at the moment - and I even managed to remember to make and fit the mast hoops before I put the bands on permanently.  The bowsprit rigging has also been done.  The two circles of wood sitting on the deckhouse will be the lifebuoys that are triced up in the mizzen rigging.

The Pritt will now come to a grinding halt for a while as I have another urgent modelling project that's going to take all of my attention for a while.

John

post-5-0-28168600-1461885091_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-53436800-1461885095_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-37726900-1461885099_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-23545800-1461885103_thumb.jpg

the current state of play.

John

I love the way you, "play".

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

looking super John.........the fiddldy bits are the fun part  ;)

what's the other project?   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

John:

I am constantly amazed by your work. I never know exactly how to phrase my amazement. She looks great.

Russ

I hope you do a build log on them.

Bob

Thank you one and all for your words of encouragement.

Popeye - I need to make a set of boats for a model of the barque 'Herzogin Cecilie' that's being rebuilt for the museum.

John

Sounds great John,

do you perhaps have plans or a nice picture of the "Herzogin Cecilie" although you "only" appointed for the boats ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I agree with Bob......a log would be super!  ship's boat can be a trial to make  ;)   I've never seen pictures of  'Cicilie'.......got pictures of my second cousin........but she's not as pretty to look at  ;)  :D  :D  :D   {just kidding}    love to see progress on this as well  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 3 months later...

Now that the boats for the 'Herzogin Cecilie' are finished, I can finally get back to work on the 'Pritt'.  I've finished the iron work for the masts and the masts are now fitted.  When fitting masts I use a tiny dab of glue on the mast coat that touched only the mast and the deck, so that removing the masts (if ever required) is just a matter of cutting away the mast coat, while in the meantime the masts are held securely.

I had held back on fitting the masts as I hadn't been able to figure out from the photos the form of the spreaders that support the topmast shrouds, but a close ponder over a very highly magnified enlargement of the foremast had revealed that the spreaders are iron rods with holes in the end that are fixed to an additional mast band, so these have now been fitted.  By the way, I'm not quite sure why the 'Pritt' had these upper shrouds.  They're attached right at the top of the mast, but that's not really very far above the main shrouds and the 'Pritt' is the only pearler I've ever seen that has them fitted.  She's also the only pearler I've ever seen with the running stays on both masts, as well, so perhaps she was sailed very hard at some time in her life and needed the extra support for the masts.

The photos below show the model with the masts fitted and some of the standing rigging over the mast heads.  The third photo is a close up of the mainmast with the spaghetti of partially installed rigging and the spreaders.

John

post-5-0-89157900-1472605843_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-99987500-1472605848_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-07690600-1472605851_thumb.jpg