Holiday Harbor by popeye the sailor - 1:20 scale - multi build

That's a very nice looking bow Popeye!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I was going to mention that Kees!   here I am fighting with it........then the admiral calls telling me she's taking Gibbs to the field!  so I had to leave the bow as it was till I got back  :)  that's when I remembered the jig I made......    I had to use CA to glue them on.....I was picking it off my fingers as we walked  ;)  thanks for the good word! 

thanks for the like and kind comments.......didn't get to do much yesterday,  so i'll  have to move it today  :)  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Looks very  good so far Popeye,

are the other 2 hulls staggered in Status process, or are you pacing foreward with the first one alone ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

that's a very interesting question Nils.....I've had some time to think about them as I've been doing this.   this boat won't be here much longer.......it's getting closer towards having to give the build her name.......far apart of the subject,  she will splinter off on a subject of her own.  as for the other two......I switched them.  I know.....some are scratching their head....."How can he tell them apart?"  it easy.......I flip'em over!  ;)  :D  :D

the hull that already has the deck platform set in place....will become the Jingle Belle {the caroler's boat}.   the pilot house will be in the forward position......mid ship will have benches,  most likely a tree in the center...and of course,  I'll need to find carolers of proper scale.

aft....will be a small cabin {I'm thinking shingles}, with perhaps a pitched roof and chimney.  plenty of detail....and perhaps lighting {I'll have to do some brainstorming,  since I closed the deck in.

the other hull is going to be very different........it will not have the fore deck,  I'm going to cut out all the extra wood and do full length bulwarks.  the pilot house will be forward,  but it will not be a full structure.....open concept.   there will be an aft house {office},  based much the same way.   I need to look into the tree wrapping table,  to see what it looks like,  as well as all the tools that a tree salesman would need.   I am thinking on planking the decks on both boats......they are not work boats,  so.....what the heck.

well.......that's enough daydreaming.......if I put too much into them......I'll never get'em done!  :D  :D  then again,  that's what I said about the M&M boat.............about five months later   ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Ah, the ideas are comming.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Popeye,

you got me, and probably others as well, quite confused, but never the less were curious what comes out after all, everything that floats has its home here at NMSW

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Nils, if your confused then you are "on course".  

As we all are (Popeye included), that's part of the fun, it's also probably why early sailors took to the sea, just to see what was out there....

With Popeye he attempts to cross that point of no return, and always succeeds.

Both of you 2 have broken new ground with your inventive and beautiful Builds. Nils and his interestingly cut away Peggy. Of course we know what to call her, don't we.

all we have here is Moe Curly and metamorphosis-Larry to go on.... :P  :D 

HEY POPEYE,

GOOD TO SEE EVERTHING IS GOING WELL. NICE BUILD YOU GOT GOING ON HERE DENIS. I BE WORRIED IF YOU ONLY HAD ONE BUILD GOING ON BUDDY. TRYING TO GET BACK INTO IT.

YOUR FRIEND

MARIO

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

MARIO!!!  so glad to see you {via text}  :D     I was thinking of you the other day.  I hope you continue to follow along........and it would be super to see a project in the future!

Keith,  Nils,  and Bob.........I recently found a really cool article on this boat.......if there was a clue I could give you,  this would be it.  the name of the boat,  before given the name of the subject,  was  "Miss Penny".   I saw pictures of her in 1991......she had bulwark 'shields' that went almost to the transom.......don't think I'll be doing them though ;)

I did a bit of work on the built Thursday........I made and installed those  'extensions' I mentioned earlier.

post-612-0-88118800-1411868053_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-39972700-1411868067_thumb.jpg

I still need to blend them in.  perhaps I can decant some primer  to paint them after wards.  I also trimmed and installed the fore deck support {stanchion}

post-612-0-31416700-1411868216_thumb.jpg

thanks to all who posted and hit the like button ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Friday got a bit more lively......I need to get the pilot house fleshed out,  so I can better gauge the apparatus for the booms {cranes}....I'll get the terminology down....sooner or later  ;)

it starts with the base....

post-612-0-60385200-1411869376_thumb.jpg

it has a curved front wall,  but I gave it a bit of a twist,  with the side walls.....it will have an angled face.

post-612-0-43520800-1411869565_thumb.jpg

the back wall is going to have a framed in door.......hence the larger opening.   you'll see a lot of pencil marks......after it is assembled,  they can be sanded out or erased.

post-612-0-22088800-1411869895_thumb.jpg

when assembled, it looks like this.....

post-612-0-30171800-1411869935_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-07528100-1411869948_thumb.jpg

on the back wall,  there is a housing for the stack....it will have a louvered vent in it.  here are the parts and the door insert.

post-612-0-12071800-1411870136_thumb.jpg

I put the darn thing together.......but forgot to cut out the vent.

post-612-0-91282800-1411870313_thumb.jpg

it's OK....very easy to do it at this time.......it was assembled onto the back wall.

post-612-0-80864700-1411870540_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-11710800-1411870554_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-57310300-1411870590_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Wow, you have been busy Popeye.  That's beginning to look real nice!

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

thanks Piet.....there's more to show.  I try and put the rest of it up in the morning.  I'm being shooed off to bed....3:30 Am comes quick!

thanks Omega for the likes  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Popeye,

When I'm watching your post and I was looking at the pictures, Anja was walking by and she take a look and said.....that must be from Popeye  :D  :D  :D  :D

Even on the style she recognised your way of building  :D  :D

But it looks good again !

Sjors

thanks for the kind comments and the likes....and a special thanks to Anja!  :)    sorry for not getting this up earlier { like this morning}.....I got side tracked  ;)    before I knew it,  it was time to go to work......all I can say is.........one more day  :)

here is the rest of Friday's update.......I took stock of some of the dowel I have on hand.   this is the bamboo dowel........the real long one is basswood......I think.

post-612-0-26068900-1411953696_thumb.jpg

in drawing the windows out on the fascia part.......I wasn't quite sure it would work out.  truth is.......it didn't.

post-612-0-70636100-1411953861_thumb.jpg

doing the dry fit to see what I would have to do...........I heard a snap.....and saw that the door opening had broken.   it was easy enough to repair.......to  strengthen it up,  a piece of strip stock was run along the upper edge.

post-612-0-48538200-1411954240_thumb.jpg

having the front fascia at a slant is a bit tougher......the curvature changes.   get the measurements for the main curvature........then toss'em,  because they don't apply further up.  once the new marks were made {without breaking anything else}  the new curvatures were traced out with the compass.

post-612-0-19952600-1411954843_thumb.jpg

then the windows were marked and cut out

post-612-0-93511600-1411954871_thumb.jpg

the curvature at the base could have been used to cut off the extra material.......but I wasn't taking any chances.......I'll make a template and mark it later.

post-612-0-50670600-1411955105_thumb.jpg

the jig was made and the extra was marked out.

post-612-0-16778600-1411955187_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I has done the cutting,  but I hadn't taken any pictures of it.   the windows still need to be evened out,  and the top edge needs to be sanded down.....but the pilot house is now roughed out.

post-612-0-34610400-1411955614_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-99668900-1411955625_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-19432500-1411955639_thumb.jpg

it's late.......gents and ladies.  the admiral has called  'lights out'.   have a good evening  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That shurfine box cutter really gives prospective of how small the pilot house is.

That thing brings back memories, I worked in a little mom'n'pop grocery in the 80's that had shurfine. Wow that was long ago, and I may even have some of those buggers still buried somewhere. Every time I see it, it causes flashbacks of long ago, Tammy and I got married while I worked there.

I've never consider using a box cutter rather than an exacto type knife, broken blades have to be cheaper to replace and you can flip them when broken.... HUM...tmc scratches his head.....

Good morning, Denis.  Things are looking mighty fine on there - as always!  Somehow it seems so obvious when I see you create these odd shaped pieces - as for me, I guess my mind just doesn't work the same way - I sit there scratching my head over much more mundane pieces that aren't clear from the plans. 

Carry on, my good man - looking forward to the next episode!

Regards -

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

That's really looking very nice Popeye, like a wheelhouse should.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Good job getting the line of the windows right.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks everyone for the good word and the likes!  it was a toss up.......but I didn't like the snow plow look here {come to a point in the center}   from the looks of the leaves and the raw damp feel outside.......we might see that crap sooner that we would like  :o

I did get a little done.........the bow has been lowered {now I can see the center line in the road :D }  and I did two attempts at making the ice maker.   the first one.......awww,  I'll save the drivel for the update.......you'll see ;)

Keith:   yes,  the box cutter works very well,  if your like me and don't have a saw.   I'm very good at cutting straight lines on flat stock. I have quite a few......if you can't find yours,  let me know......I'll send ya one  :)

BOB:    that was a pain!  due to the angled front,  the fascia edges along the sides are angled as well to compensate........that's what changes the arch vectors.  bisecting the fascia into two quadrants was the only way to keep it sane.  I think it's about time I introduced you all to her.......what say ye?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Ed.......it will look even more worth the effort,  once I get 'er cleaned up :)   thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Real nice! work on the pilot house Denis.. look'n forward to the rest of this  " Holiday Harbor multi build". :)

frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)