HMS Montague 1779 bygaryshipwright - 74-gun Alfred-class

Morning Giampiero and thank you. I like the boxwood light color and wish I had built her gun deck with it but hindsight is 20 20. The pear does show up nicely. She does have a few different wood's in her and hope my son wil get some enjoyment out of her in the future.  Once again thank you,. Thanks  Bitao and Druxey.  Glad you guys like her and hope to do even better on her in the future. Getting the lower deck some what done, it's giving me  a push to get more done on her, that and having you guy's push me forward.  I do get a lot of enjoyment out of looking at her, and thanks again. Gary

Edited by garyshipwright

Hi guy's. Here's a update on the build but this time it is more about her building board. I add a way of being able to tilt her from side to side  which helps keep the back in tack and a lot easier getting to thing's.  I worked on a couple of hanging knee's and being tilted made it a lot better.  I can't take the Credit for it which goes to  Alan/AON and the tech info on it. Hope you enjoy the pictures and any question will be more then happy to answer them

DSC_0638.JPG

DSC_0639.JPG

DSC_0640.JPG

DSC_0641.JPG

DSC_0643.JPG

Thought I would add some close up photo's of Montague.  I was on the NRG site and came across the article by Kurt on taking photo's of ones work and figure I needed to practice  a bit. Guess I have to find a little space for a photo booth when  taking good photo's of my ship.  Well guys one day maybe I get the hang of taking good photo's, hope you enjoy the close up. Gary

DSC_0645.JPG

DSC_0646.JPG

DSC_0647.JPG

DSC_0653.JPG

DSC_0651.JPG

DSC_0654.JPG

Space, space, space..... its good to have. The table is a very good idea and a nice built. 👍

"Tout le monde connaît le nom du Vengeur,
combien peu connaissent celui du Redoutable!"
-- Auguste Jal, 1867

https://www.olivers-historic-shipyard.com/

on Facebook Olivers Historic Shipyard
on YouTube  Olivers Historic Shipyard
on Instagram  Olivers Historic Shipyard

in work:

La Belle 1/36 POF
Le Redoutable 1/48 POF; 74-Gun Temeraire-Class by Jacques-Noël Sané
Bucentaure 1/48 POF; 80-Gun Bucentaure-Class by Jacques-Noël Sané

Thanks Druxey and Oliver. Well who know's, maybe if I practice a bit more I just may get good at it, taking pictures that is. The table is a blessing. It has height adjustment and tilt now and its a back saver. Wish I had done this years ago and really getting lot's of use out of it .  Really make's working on her a lot more enjoyable. Again thanks guy's. 

I love the table, Gary!  And, in my estimation, you are no slouch with the camera, as well.  Really great interior shots of the ship, which is looking very crisp.  One particularly interesting aspect for me is the patination of the finished framing; it has a dark, rich color as though the timber has been oxidizing for hundreds of years.  It really looks great!  Michelle Padoan creates a similar effect, but I would say yours is more convincingly “antiqued.”

Edited by Hubac's Historian

We are all works in progress, all of the time.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Guys, it keeps me very happy. It does seem that at the moment am building another fore capstan for the main deck. I really didn't like the color of the old one and the new one should be a lot better looking.  Now where did I put all those pieces????? Thanks again guy's. Gary

• 1 month later...

Not to steal your log Gary,......

Steven I see that this is your first post.  WELCOME to MSW.  Please do post an intro in the new member section to let us know a little about you.

Thank you!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Thank you very much Steve. She is my baby thats for sure . Why else would one spend 20 years with her. 😊  She doesn't have a stain good sir just a couple of coats of bee's wax mixed with turpentine. Welcome to the site, you couldn't find a better place any were on the internet.  Allan if you need to steal my log to welcome a new member you go right ahead and look forward to your next update. Gary

Edited by garyshipwright

Well good sir's I just about have the forward capstan completed, just need to add  a few more items to the upper capstan and then I can get started on the main one. Gary 

DSC_0690.JPG

DSC_0693.JPG

DSC_0694.JPG

DSC_0696.JPG

Edited by garyshipwright

Capstan certainly seems to be complicated looking beast.

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

well good sir it's a bit complicated, It seems to have taken me three tries making the  barrel, didn't like the darker color wood and then the next one my measurment were way off, don't know how that happen, guess I zigged insteads of zagging. For me it was the whelp's because they not only taper going up but taper going back. The other thing with them is trying to get the scores on the sides of them to line up with each other.  Then again I just might of made it complicated.  

• 3 months later...

Your workmanship is very impressive.  I hope you continue this build.

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild