US Brig Syren by Augie - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:64

Well done, Andy.  Sjors-  the date also is the same as Candlemas in Europe which also is supposed to predict the end of winter.  You might be more familiar with that holiday.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

In North America (specifically Canada and USA) February 2nd is known as "Grounghog Day"

A groundhog, or woodchuck is a large-ish rodent, lives in a hole in the ground. Now according to some old-time folk lore about the weather, if the groundhog  emerges from his hole on the morning of Feb 2 and see's his shadow, it means there's still 6 more weeks of winter. If he fails to see his shadow it means there will be an early spring.

There are 3 particularly famous prognosticating groundhogs. Shubenacadie Sam (In Nova Scotia, Canada), Punxsutawney Phil, in Pennsylvania, and the infamous albino groundhog Wiarton Willie, in Ontario.

2 out of the 3 predicted and early spring... hence the general animosity towards groundhogs...

Although in the case of my grandfather, he's lost a couple of horses due to groundhog holes (this is going back to the 50s and 60s when he still used horses for farming).. so there's a kind of a "North Korea" situation between him and the miserable rodents.

Andy

GOOD GOD MAN

You mean they have access to Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

we are doomed

DONT PUSH IT

post-846-0-07427100-1366034631.jpg

post-846-0-32686200-1366034647.jpg

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thank you guys for telling me what they are and what they are doing.

When I look at the weather forecast for the USA ,I think those guy's has drinking a lot of booze…….

We have no groundhogs but the sun is shining and the temperature is rising…...

I just put my nose outside to see what weather there is.

I trust that instead of those creatures…….

(Funny people those people on the other side of the ocean  :D )

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Sjors-  With input from Canada, the UK and USA you're still in the dark????  Perhaps Australia can provide needed assistance!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I have lost faith in the prognosticative capabilities of our large rodents and instead have, for several years, based my forecasts on the use of a "Weather Rock".  It seems to be much more accurate, does not require special foods, won't dig up the lawn and, perhaps most significantly, Kevin, it does not possess ICBMs.

Some examples of the instructions for the weather rock include:

• If the rock is wet, it's raining.
  • If the rock is swinging, the wind is blowing.
  • If the rock casts a shadow, the sun is shining.
  • If the rock does not cast a shadow and is not wet, the sky is cloudy.
  • If the rock is not visible, it is foggy.
  • If the rock is white, it is snowing.
  • If the rock is coated with ice, there is a frost.
  • If the ice is thick, it's a heavy frost.
  • If the rock is bouncing, there is an earthquake.
  • If the rock is under water, there is a flood.
  • If the rock is warm, it is sunny.
  • If the rock is missing, there was a tornado.
  • If the rock is wet and swinging violently, there is a hurricane.

Click on the picture below for animated demonstration of forecast capabilities...

post-18-0-35318000-1366036333_thumb.gif

Edited by trippwj

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

I have lost faith in the prognosticative capabilities of our large rodents and instead have, for several years, based my forecasts on the use of a "Weather Rock".  It seems to be much more accurate, does not require special foods, won't dig up the lawn and, perhaps most significantly, Kevin, it does not possess ICBMs.

Some examples of the instructions for the weather rock include:

• If the rock is wet, it's raining.
  • If the rock is swinging, the wind is blowing.
  • If the rock casts a shadow, the sun is shining.
  • If the rock does not cast a shadow and is not wet, the sky is cloudy.
  • If the rock is not visible, it is foggy.
  • If the rock is white, it is snowing.
  • If the rock is coated with ice, there is a frost.
  • If the ice is thick, it's a heavy frost.
  • If the rock is bouncing, there is an earthquake.
  • If the rock is under water, there is a flood.
  • If the rock is warm, it is sunny.
  • If the rock is missing, there was a tornado.
  • If the rock is wet and swinging violently, there is a hurricane.

Click on the picture below for animated demonstration of forecast capabilities...

attachicon.gifweather_rock.gif

:D  :D :D  :D

Now look what you've done Sjors. :D  :D  :D

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Do you know what a Honey Wagon is Sjors? :huh:

Well.. I'll tell you... in many places in North America there are no sewers to take away our human...leavings. I'm sure in some places in europ this is true too. Now to avoid a nasty mess, those places with no sewers have holding tanks underground on the property. Called septic tanks. they hold the remains of the last supper, and all those wonderfull little organisms that love such things can do their work. Trouble is, those little critters don't exactly work as fast as the human digestive tract. which means things kind of build up over time. When things get rather full, well, the tank needs to be emptied. So you call your local pumping service and they send over a special truck with a larger tank, some hoses and a vaccuum pump. In some parts of the country, this truck is known as...

The Honey Wagon! :o

Well.. getting to the point of our story..in a round about way, many years ago, we had a full tank at the farm, and we needed to have it pumped out. so the honey wagon shows shows up, and on the visor at the front of the truck it is written "S#!T DISTURBER" (in its full form, without the euphamistic symbols)

Do you see where I'm going with this yet? :unsure:

(Not singling you out... I'm just as bad.. if I had a truck like that, I'd like a visor with those words on it too! But then again, I drive a ship... not a poo truck B) )

So.. there's my long and pointless story leading to my calling you a **** disturber...   but of course.. keeping all that in mind..as has been said before on this site:

De pot verwijt de ketel dat hij zwart ziet

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Well, that's it!  Some logs go to the dogs, on others juggling clowns mystically appear along with monks and some become a colorful fashion show.  But this takes the cake.  My log has gone down the proverbial cr_ _ _ er   :D  :D  :D  :D  :D .

ABANDON HOPE, ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE!!!!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Ahoy Andy :D

I like to think he just stirs the pot. Now what is in the pot is a different story.

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

Well, that's it!  Some logs go to the dogs, on others juggling clowns mystically appear along with monks and some become a colorful fashion show.  But this takes the cake.  My log has gone down the proverbial cr_ _ _ er   :D  :D  :D  :D  :D .

ABANDON HOPE, ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE!!!!

YES!! :D 

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Augie,

How is your rigging going?

Can I help you with the ratlines?  :D

What is your next build?

Or are you going to do some scratch build?

And how high is the snow?

Still 2 meters high?

Can you find your front door?

And is the milkman all ready bring some milk?

You have enough food in the house?

Don't forget to let the dog out.

And you know…when de groundhog see his shadow ,it is not raining!

Good luck with your build and your build log.

Sjors-  your inquiry requires a PM!

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie,

How is your rigging going?

Can I help you with the ratlines?  :D

What is your next build?

Or are you going to do some scratch build?

And how high is the snow?

Still 2 meters high?

Can you find your front door?

And is the milkman all ready bring some milk?

You have enough food in the house?

Don't forget to let the dog out.

And you know…when de groundhog see his shadow ,it is not raining!

Good luck with your build and your build log.

Well if that isn't a redirect i don't know what is.  Sjors while you are given a lot of "crap" for side tracking threads I do very much appreciate how fun you make this forum.  

Er, Augie, have you done any more on your model? B)

John

PS Here in Australia we don't have weather predicting kangaroos, wombats or koalas.  We have a thing called a 'weather bureau' which tells us what the weather is (or sometimes isn't) going to do. :)

WOW, Smoking honey trucks. I finally made it to the end. What a three ring circus side show of misc. antics and high tech infomation. And a ship build to boot. Seems like I've started this log 10 times and can't seem to keep up then restart and get bogged looking at pictures and so finally I opened a separate window and finally caught up.

Nice ship, Augie. I particularly like the rear deck wheel and binnacle setup, I hate to ask but do you have any up close pictures of that region. I'm wanting to retro-fit a wheel on the Swift/DSotM and like the way that is set up. Its amazing you can get any work done at all with all the chatter (or was that a ground hog)..

John-  Still working on rigging the yards.  Thanks for asking! 

Keith-  There are closeups of that area at the bottom of pg.1 and top of pg.2  The wheel is not scale......but I like it.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Yea I saw those in post #16, what I'm interested in is how the rigging is set up. It looks like its blocked to the inner wales but it looks like there are 2 lines on one side running to the tiller. I didnt know if you have any better pictures of the lines and tackle rigging of the wheel to tiller assemble.

I do enjoy a good "s@&$ disturber" every now and then :) but it's nice that there's also a build log here too ;)

Looking forward to the next update Augie.

Augie, I feel that we deserve some sort of update to keep us away from these diversions that plague your build log! I don't care what it is, even a pic of you snow shoveling will do :-)

Ben

I'm working on it Ben!!!!!

Keith-  that;s the best photo of that area I am ever going to get.  Let's have another look:

post-56-0-23501600-1366069073.jpg

OK, if you look closely, there are 6 blocks involved.  Two are stropped to the wales and one to the tiller, each side.  Starting from the wheel hub it runs through a block then aft to another block.  Then over to the tiller and back.  It is one continuous line.  I hope that clarifies it. 

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Augie,

you may have made the same mistake than Chuck did: We need two blocks on the deck near the wheel, to bring the tiller line to a level where it can be jumped over easily.

Same goes for the rear part near the tiller: The use of the rear canons is almost impossible with these lines in the middle.

Yves

So are the ends tied to eye bolts by or on the rear wale block? (its hard to see that detail in the pic) 

And I also agree on the blocks at floor to make getting over them easy or they may have went under by raising the tilller above the cannons, but either way I don't see how cannon recoil isn't taking out the lines running to the tiller unless by moving them up.

I'm already going to have to redesign the boom system on the Swift as heightening the transom will cause aft boom clearence problems. Oh when we try to modify and redesign....  but I'm still having fun :dancetl6:

So does the wheel work, it looks as though it should if it isnt glued in place?