Lettie G. Howard schooner by Cap'n'Bob - 1:48 POB - Finished

Thanks Keith.

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

So now it’s time to attach the chain plates and deadeyes.   To do that, I will need sixteen 1/8” (about 3mm) deadeyes.  Yes, I could buy them but where’s the fun in that?  Some time ago I remember seeing a jig a forum member had made to make deadeyes.  So working from memory this is my, I think, third jig.  You don’t want to see the first two. 

First on a .005” brass strip I used for a template, I drew a 1/8” diameter circle and located three .020” holes.  My second try looked OK.  I had a scrap of hard wood, (I don’t know woods but I think it is rosewood.) 1/16” thick, I drilled a tight fit 1/8” hole in it to hold the deadeye while drilling the lanyard holes.  All this was mounted to a piece of scrap wood.

The first wood I tried for the deadeyes was too soft and fell apart after drilling.  So I turned a piece of straight grained walnut (I do know some woods) before my lathe quit, to 1/8” and it worked fine.    Being held together by a single screw you drop in the blank, pivot the holder over the base and drill one hole.  Then, I found out the hard way, put a pin in that first hole to hold the deadeye in place as you drill the other two holes. 

That’s it, and now I have to do it again.  I need four .09” diameter deadeyes.  Oh well.

Bob

post-513-0-49353000-1397078105_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-38718100-1397078084_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-86572000-1397078075_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-33568800-1397078125_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-21733300-1397078136_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-87128200-1397078146_thumb.jpg

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Bob:

Nice work on the deadeyes. That is a lot like the one I use, but yours is much nicer. :)

Russ

Hello Bob,

Your schooner is getting along quite well.

The brass pieces are very neat indeed. Just one question. What method do you use to bend the brass?

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

Thanks Paul.  It’s nice to see you back on the forum.

As for bending the brass I mainly use three tools.

1. A pair of Jeweler’s pliers with a smooth clamping face so it does not mar the brass. 
  2. A pair of round nose pliers that I modified by filing down one side to a smaller diameter. 
  3. I made a hammer from a 3/4” diameter piece of delrin plastic. 

Bob

post-513-0-77519800-1397144556_thumb.jpg

post-513-0-91716300-1397144565_thumb.jpg

•  

Bob,

nice method of doing the deadeyes, respect, but lots of spanning, drilling and Fixing work....

Question, why do These yourself, is it because of "throughout scratch build" ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Good evening Bob, 

Thanks for the tip. Can surely use your technique on my build, especially for the rigging.

You will be very surprised with the amount of rigging, the Scharnhorst had. Nobody would ever image it, when considering that it was a WW2 heavy battle cruiser.

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

Nils,  Ah yes, why?  I could have bought them off the web for a lot less than the time I spent making them.  I guess there are two reasons.  First I didn’t have any the right size and didn’t want to wait to receive them in the mail.  And secondly it was just to see if I could.

Paul, glad I can be of help.

Bob

•  
Edited by Cap'n'Bob

that's a cool way of making dead eyes.......I could have used that for the 3.5's for the goth..... :) I guess it's much in the same way I made the hearts for the goth.....and very much for the same reason. ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Very nice work on the dead eyes Bob.

Keith thanks for posting those links about the pilots.

michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Nils,  Ah yes, why?  I could have bought them off the web for a lot less than the time I spent making them.  I guess there are two reasons.  First I didn’t have any the right size and didn’t want to wait to receive them in the mail.  And secondly it was just to see if I could.

Paul, glad I can be of help.

Bob

Nice answer Bob,

that ist he true model builder speaking...

well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Popeye, Michael, Nils.  Thank you all.

Bob

Hi Bob, I was just catching up in your Lettie C Howard log.

Most of your pix are missing from what I could see.  I thought you'd like to know. 

Best of the day to you.   Walt

Walt,

Thanks for letting me know about the pictures.  I think I have them fixed now.

Bob

Ah, the problems we create for ourselves in this joyous game we call ship modeling. 

Now I needed to make the chain plates and deadeye straps to go with the deadeyes I made last week.  That was the problem.  I tried to soft solder the wires for the deadeye straps, but as I bent the wire around the deadeye the solder joint broke.  I needed to silver solder.  I had not silver soldered since I was a teenager.  So I dug out a torch, some silver solder and some flux and melted a few inches of wire.  Finally, like riding a bicycle, the memories returned and I soldered the rings.  I bent the wire with the solder spot in the wrong place.  Placed the wire around the deadeyes and fastened them to the chain plates.  The more I looked at them the more I didn’t like them.  The solder spots were harder than the wire and did not bend the same and as I forced them around the deadeyes the deadeyes started to fall apart.  What a mess!  So, as I had told so many others, it was time to start over.

I went back to the start and made a new jig to drill the deadeye holes.  Rather than evenly spaced I placed the holes, two on the diameter and one at right angle to them.  I also made them out of harder wood.  This time when I soldered the wire I used less solder.  And when I bent the wires I was more careful as to where the solder spot was.  These were much better.  These I can use.  So I did.  I mounted them with only one pin at this time so they can pivit to the correct angle when I do the rigging.  Then I will put in the second pin.

The first two pictures are of the bad parts.

Bob

post-513-0-11278600-1398143531_thumb.jpg

Solder spots in the wrong place.

post-513-0-75384600-1398143543_thumb.jpg

You can see the flats on the wires crushing into the deadeyes.

post-513-0-88580000-1398143556_thumb.jpg

Good parts

post-513-0-97453600-1398143567_thumb.jpg

Jig for shaping straps

post-513-0-01267500-1398143588_thumb.jpg

Good assemblies

post-513-0-65453400-1398143600_thumb.jpg

Mounted

post-513-0-07248000-1398143614_thumb.jpg

Good looking chain plates. I am in the process of doing the same thing for my current project. Nice work on yours.

Russ

the perseverance pays in the end, nice work Bob.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

That's the joy of scratch building isn't it?

Nicely done.

Glad to see you back at the table Bob.  Keep working away at it.  Hope all is well with you and the Admiral.  I have been busy with other things these past weeks.  Of course XP was all of my systems, and the only one upgradable was too broken down and slow to put more money into.  Then the New in-expensive Windows 8 has already gone into the Shop condition-wise, so it wasn't so inexpensive after all.  My son, on my pleading, is coming up next weekend to hopefully fix and stabilize the new one.  He has been in that business for many years now, starting with Microsoft just awhile out of school.  Anyway, I have been too busy to do anything on my boat(s?).  I have been doing some reading on the Constitution book.  There is an awful lot in that Anatomy of a Ship book.  I was doing some CAD updating on my boat, but that is about all.  Keep up the good work, Bob.

Walt

Edited by Walter Biles

As I contemplate the construction of the upper chain and deadeye interface for my build I worry about the exact problem you had.

I'm so glad to the members of MSW that are willing to share the struggles as well as the solutions around those problems, It makes life easier for those of us doing it the first time.

Not that I'm saying I'll get it on the first try now, but rather it instills the cold hard fact that in scratching an assembly that even the masters of this art with many wonderful builds under their belt, still have issues and do-overs are just a part of a learning curve that just seems to be an integral part of this hobby.

Thanks for sharing, I like the design of your chains. It makes me wonder if I should reconsider how I construct mine. 

Bob

lovely to read your own comments on your Trial and then mastery built deadeye straps. They look great and besides that you dicovered and used the silver solder procedure again....

Well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Russ, Michael, John, Walt, David, Keith, Nils,

Thanks to all of you, and thanks to the likes.  Long ago I was told by another modeler, “If your scrap bin doesn’t outweigh the boat you’re not trying hard enough”.  As for the silver solder I used to enjoy it and I’m glad I was forced to use it again.

Bob

nice work with the straps and dead eyes. they look great on the ship :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Popeye.

Bob