Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:16 Scale - SMALL

Maybe a net-sling set-up resembling what the mighty "Squirrel Whisperer" has done?

In truth, George, and verily, the Squirrel Whisperer were to grant-eth me access to his squirrels ... as such, I be most strongly considering a suggestion to suspend-eth the oars alongside me boat.

Whilst I would assume that some paddling did occur, there were only a couple of mentions of oar usage in Bligh's log. 

As nice of a job you've done on those scantlings there Captain, it would be a shame to cut back? 

Scantlings, huh ?? I was a-wondering what that word meant.

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

In truth, George, the Squirrel Whisperer has granted me access to his squirrels ... 

Be careful there Captain! Matt says they might have been breeding with ninja squirrels. Lord knows what that result might bring.  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Scantlings, huh ?? I was a-wondering what that word meant.

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

Not quite.. here's the definition from a quick Google...there's more with pictures there.

scant·ling
ˈskan(t)liNG/
noun
plural noun: scantlings
  1. 1.
    a piece of lumber of small cross section.
    • the size to which a piece of wood or stone is measured and cut.
  2. 2.
    a set of standard dimensions for parts of a structure, especially in shipbuilding.
  3. 3.
    archaic
    a specimen, sample, or small amount of something.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark is right. Looked it up and found this:--"Scantling--Dimensions of timbers forming a ship's structure." Wow, it seems we all learned something here. I was under the impression it simply meant the contents, i.e. buckets, boxes, tools, ect..

Aaahhhh this forum------the gift that keeps on giving!    Thanks Mark :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Arrr ...

An' here I was a-thinking I had learned something new.

Oh well, better luck next weekend.

:cheers:

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hey CaptainSteve, here's another idea. You could store you edibles like campers do in bear country. Bundle everything in a cargo net, draw up the four corners, join them to a rope and hoist them up the mast. This most certainly would detour the starving crew from pilfering the food supplies.

post-17116-0-52558000-1428322666.jpg

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Hey CaptainSteve, here's another idea. You could store you edibles like campers do in bear country. Bundle everything in a cargo net, draw up the four corners, join them to a rope and hoist them up the mast. This most certainly would detour the starving crew from pilfering the food supplies.

Actually, Matt, as I start to arrange a few of the larger items (tool-chest, barrels, sacks), the overall picture shouldn't be too over-populated, after all.

As mentioned, o'course, Bligh will be keeping the vast majority of food-stuffs up his end (large barrels, sacks), but moving the tool-chest amid-ships and chucking the oars overboard definitely frees up extra space.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Great work, Cappy.

Is there anything in that log about a fishing pole? Or a hen coop? I'd sure love to see you take a hand at making some chickens.

Thanks, Shoule.

I don't recall a fishing pole at all, but there certainly was mention of using a hand-line to try to catch fish. Unfortunately, according to Bligh, despite numerous attempts, they caught nothing.

Chickens ?? Why on Earth would I want to make chickens ??

Indeed, part of the reason for me hand-balling the sculpting of a William R Bligh fer this boat was the distinct likelihood the final product would more closely resemble Jabba the Hutt.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Thank ye, Crackers,

However, as you may notice in the following pictures, there be plenty o' buckets to choose from.

Now, here be a brace o' (in-progress) poor-quality photographs ...

post-675-0-03467100-1428414935_thumb.jpg

"A brace," CaptainSteve were to add-eth most helpfully, "by way o' definition, wouldst be two !!"

post-675-0-95485300-1428414937_thumb.jpg

Next up, Our Hero shall be dealing wi' matters o' weaponry (cutlasses and spears), followed by various fruits and nut-foods.

"I be a-hopin'," CaptainSteve were to close, "to launch me Launch this coming weekend !!"

More pics be a-pending ...

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

You've organized the ships' supplies quite nicely there Captain. Looking mighty fine! Can't wait for the christening.  :dancetl6:

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Very nice set of details, my friend, and very well done

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Looks great...just a thought...do you need to close that chest in case that poopin' bird comes back!

Here's to your launch...been a long day so I am starting early!

Cheers, hic...

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Dang it! Now I look at your beautiful work of art and realize I forgot about the knees! cant wait to see what you do with the oars, then I'll copy it

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Thanks everyone ... seriously !!

Dang it! Now I look at your beautiful work of art and realize I forgot about the knees! cant wait to see what you do with the oars, then I'll copy it

If you do copy, then you'll only be copying from your own squirrels ...

I plan on using your suggestion. They will be tied into two bundles (five each), and then suspended o'er the sides. I want to tie the ropes to the riser strip on the inside. The oars should hang just below the purple Docker strip. 

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Thanks, David,

As to the colouring, well, may I just refer you to any point in this log where the word "Colouration" doth appear.

External plank staining and graining was covered back in Post #165. The rest was, mostly, multiple coats of various stains that were cut back with sand-paper, once dried.

Other touches were done with dry-brushing paint to give highlights.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Arr …

CaptainSteve hath been most busy o'er these last few days, for it doth seem-eth that he hath been a-boasting o’ his Launch around the work-place …

“’Twouldst appear-eth that there be such a thing as ‘Bring-Your-Launch-to-Work Day’”, Our Hero were to state-eth, most perplexed.

“But, I be most perplexed ... for I know-eth not o’ any other Launch modellers around me place o’ employment ??”, he didst continue.

“Furthermore, apparently this newly proclaimed ‘Day’ be tomorrow ?!?!”

Arr ...

But never fear, for CaptainSteve be working better whence under pressure. As such, Our Hero hath been at fever-pitch a-finishing off the décor and details o’ his boat.

“I be aiming,” he were to re-iterate, “to be a-launching me Launch this coming weekend.”

To that end, CaptainAndrew hath already been liaised with … the BBQ steaks be marinating at this very moment … and the local publican be standing by wi’ cartons o’ beer …

“Well, I be almos’ done,” Our Hero stated, most triumphantly.

Firstly, these be the items which were not to make-eth the cut ...

post-675-0-90485200-1428583818_thumb.jpg

("Eighteen out o' 79 ... Verily, most hath been included !!")

And so, with great fan-fare, CaptainSteve were to most heartily proclaim-eth, "Wi'out further fan-fare, here be pictures !!"

post-675-0-34827200-1428584689_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-60044000-1428583821_thumb.jpg

"Oh, and these as well," ....

post-675-0-02569700-1428583827_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-72223300-1428583829_thumb.jpg

"Finally, this one ..."

post-675-0-93771600-1428583831_thumb.jpg

For all intents and purposes, CaptainSteve's Launch now be complete ...

"I be a-wanting to add just a couple o' final pieces," he didst add-eth, paradoxically. "But they can be a-waitin' until after this 'Bring-Your-Launch-to-Work Day' !!"

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Next up, Boyd, I shall be returning to my USS Constitution build. 

Hope to see you there.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

She looks fantastic there Captain. :dancetl6:  I take it you have provided for safe transport for the "Bring your Launch to Work Day" , a protective case of some kind? It would be a shame to see her get wounded in the process. :o  Something like that might cause you great annoyance and displeasure.  :P

Cheers and congrats on a job well done!

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Not so much a 'protective case', George ...

... but precautions have been taken.

Foremost amongst these being that the sales-rep at work who first suggested 'Bring-Your-Launch-to-Work Day' has been threatened wi' the most grevious o' bodily harms shouldst any damages occur.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Superb display of ingenuity and craftsmanship! So you've a Launch party at work, and this weekend, how many parties are you gonna have? I, for one, think there should be a town parade! Well done Sir, well done indeed!

Congratulations, Captain.   Great looking vessel and properly fitted out.  :cheers:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looks fabulous Captain!  Congratulations!

I'll be sure to sign up early for your USS Constitution build!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild